Starving and Tired

Options
I'm eating the suggested amount of calories. I have even gone over by 180+ and I'm still starving.
I'm eating veggies & fruits, no dairy, no junk, no takeout, no sodas. I don't know how to manage this.

Please let me now how you have survived without the hollow feeling in the head, hungry and tired body.

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Hmm... what kind of carbohydrates are you eating? I would make sure you eat whole grains, not just fruits/veggies to get your carbs - these are much more filling than the highly processed carbs that are common in most bread/pasta/etc and are good for you. Are you eating enough protein? (per MFP's recommendations?)

I know for me, it works best when I allow myself foods like dairy (and the occasional treat) as long as I have room for it in my calories for the day. Cheese, for example, can be a great source of protein and can provide some of your daily fat, which you do need some of to have a healthy diet.

If you are eating a balanced diet with enough protiens, healthy carbohydrates and fat and you are still always hungry, then I would wonder if you picked the right 'lifestyle' when you setup your plan. If you picked 'sedentary' but aren't really sedentary, then the plan may not be giving you enough calories to get through your day.

If you do think you picked the right 'lifestyle' when setting up your plan and are eating a balanced diet but still are hungry/tired all the time, it might be worth seeing a doctor about.
  • gin_rei
    gin_rei Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    First posting on MFP
    Don't forget to eat some heavier foods - get in some good protein and carbohydrates too, not just fruit and veggies. Sweet potato, oatmeal, eggs - all of these are filling and healthy and will give your body the fuel it needs to keep going.
    You will need to watch the calories a little more closely with these foods than with veggies, but if you keep yourself within the limit, and fill out your diet with those fruit and veggies, you'll do fine.
    I'm a vegetarian, and I do notice that I have to be careful to make sure I'm getting my protein everyday or I start feeling pretty lousy.
    I tend to avoid bread products, as they tend to be really high calorie, and not particularly nutritious. I get 1500 calories a day, and they are too precious to waste on less than really good foods. I'd rather have two eggs than one piece of bread - and my body seems to appreciate it.

In other word - I basically second what accountant_boi said.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Oh - I forgot: one more thing, are you drinking enough water? I've found sometimes my body will confuse thirst and hunger - I'm dehydrated but my body tells me I'm hungry. When I drink enough water, I feel more full from the food I eat and I tend to get fewer hunger 'pains' during the day.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    You don't have a lot of weight to lose, so make sure your weekly weight loss goal is not set too high. You would be best served with a 250 calorie daily reduction which would = 1/2 pound weight loss/ week.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    For me, I have noticed that I feel like i'm starving when I am actually tired and need to take a rest. My work schedule is crazy and I sometimes think that when I feel tired I should eat to give me energy. But in the end, I just give in to taking a rest. When I can't, then I drink A LOT of water to try and compensate.
  • r_u_learn
    Options
    Accountant, WooWoo,Gin-Rei & B. Lee,
    Thank you all so much. In my defense...The hunger pains have been hunger pains. I have tried to ignore but maybe it is mental that I am not getting enough food. I cut all starch, breads, & pastas four weeks ago, in anticipation of starting a diet. I also stopped eating meets and cheese, which could be a contributing factor to the tired feeling. I still occasionally have an egg. You all suggest water, that is my biggest difficulty, I can't make myself drink enough, I dilute stuff and have hot decaf tea. B.Lee - lowering my goals, I suppose you are right. I am a in a rush I will take it easy and have patience. What got me angry javascript:add_smiley('grumble','post_body') was I see those calories add up & go over my limit but I am eating less than I have ever. I got a sweet potato and always keep oatmeal in stock so that will be part of my meals tommorow . Accountant, do you suppose that I should change it to a little more active, since I do have a flight of stairs that I go up and down approximately every five minutes.
    Gin-Rei, do you have any vegetarian receipes that I can have? I have used the internet a lot and have come up with my own but am willing to try more.
    Finally, Thank you everyone, you are very kind in trying to help. I will try to change my drinking habit, something I have tried for years. I will lower my goals, no rush. and will continue to monitor more protein into my diet. You are all my inspiration.