How serious are you about logging your calories in?

Options

Replies

• seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty of not logging everything I eat.....:blushing:

But I do sometimes had quick calories.....This is mainly when I'm working and I can't get to a subway when it's time to feed the worms......So I just have a guess and add 50cals......
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I don't add spices, a tablespoon of salsa here or there (basically I am lazy about small quantities of raw veggies) or things like that. Raw vegetables did not make me gain weight, and eating extra of them is not going to stop me from losing weight!

I also use a lot of approximation entries- every time I eat a lettuce salad, or have lettuce on top of something, etc, I use an entry for salad + tomatoes, cucs, onion, etc, so that I can do one entry instead of taking the time to count out the number of cucumber slices I put on my salad. It is like 8 calories, so who cares!
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I am tracking calories and protein and have been on MFP for a year and a half. I use quick-add calories occasionally for things that have basically no protein, and that I won't be eating often enough to make it worth adding all the info myself. But in general I am pretty compulsive about logging everything best guess possible, and like others have commented overestimating if there is a question.
  • ediesmommy
    ediesmommy Posts: 76
    Options
    I usually add the quick calories to my breakfast because I have homemade popcycles I eat after I walk my hour. Because it's homemade, I add up all the calories I put into the blender, and divide it by the number of pops I make. The first batch were 36 calories, the last batch was 32 calories each. I know what my quick calories are for, and even though a pop is 32 calories, I still count them, every time.
  • katemme
    katemme Posts: 191
    Options
    I did log a gnat once that flew into my mouth when I was running. Its in the database. Just for ****s and giggles.

But generally if I have one bite of something I don't log it. Like, when I just take a pinch of quick oats to eat. Everything else I add. Never quick calories. And if its not there I'll find the closest thing to it in the database.

And I have developed and obsession/anxiety over having to log everyday. I think I'm at 160 some days in a row now :/
  • deeva2266
    deeva2266 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have not missed a single day of logging in since Jan 17,2012 and log everything but spices. Only had to quick add once and just so happens it was today. I also select the higher calorie option on foods when I am not sure of something.
  • camila_scl
    camila_scl Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I only use the quick added calorie for vegetable soup. I log everything else except for spices, I don't think pepper and oregano have many calories =)

I do log salad dressings or ketchup/mayo.

I don't log things that are calorie free like diet coke.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I am pretty serious but do not log splenda, spices like pepper or garlic, I do log condiments like ketchup, mustard and mayo. If I have not pre-logged what I am eating, I make my breakfast/dinner/lunch and let it sit until I am ok with the calorie/macro count.

Also I only quick added calories once since I been here. I do not do it anymore. I have noticed others do this but it just not accurate, you need to have carbs grams, protein grams etc.
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Every single bite, every single day, for the past 560 days. I've never used the "Quick Add" feature - if it isn't in the database, then I break it down to individual components or create a recipe to account for it. Of course, this also can lead to days where it looks like I've eaten FAR too much, but it's just another reason to keep my diary private. I had too many people looking at the quantity rather than the quality.

Considering my results, I must be doing *something* right... :wink:
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I am not super meticulous. I generally do not log spices, salt, tea (unless I add something), stevia.

Sometimes I forget to add a splash of coconut water or juice (I add 1 ounce to a cup of water if I am having trouble drinking water. And most of the time I forget all about any samples or sips I take. I know these are calories, but generally they don't add up to more than a couple dozen so I am not too concerned about it. They aren't every day occurrences.
  • shyrina25
    shyrina25 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    super serious i wont eat it unless I log it in! that is how i lost all the weight!
  • mkrainville7409
    mkrainville7409 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am just curious, not criticizing anyone on their diaries or anything of the sort but I notice a lot of people use the "quick added" calories etc. While looking at my diary at the end of each day, it seems like if I didn't know better, I had eaten the entire kitchen, LOL.. I log every single thing separate, even spices... is it just me?

I log everything... even spices :) and supplements. It really helps me but other people are different....
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    I log pretty well. Rarely use quick calories unless its something I can't find in the data base

I use quick add calories if I have the same thing for dinner as I had for lunch...
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I have used it, but try to overestimate. When it comes to foods I buy, I scan everything I can with the phone and make sure the nutrition facts on MFP match the label...
  • cindiva65
    cindiva65 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I even log my vitamins!
  • koutroulakis
    Options
    I log everything...I have to...I am sodium sensitive and I have to track my soduim intake...I can put on 6lbs alone (water weight) if I eat above 1500 mg of sodium...I cant guess my calorie intake AND I def can't guesstimate my sodium intake...
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I log everything but spices. I use quick add only when I can't find it in the database, or the cal count seems off a bit.
  • jjnt007
    jjnt007 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I log everything individually. I even log gum and tums. Just last week I went with a friend to a local cafe and I ordered a chef salad cut the eggs, and cucumbers. When they brought the salad they brought two small packets of Thousand Island dressing. When I tried to log that in no thousand island dressing had 400 calories. Surprise Surprise after I had ate the dressing I glanced at the calories and each packet had 200 calories. Crazy. So I had to use that add calories.
  • Natheera
    Natheera Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I measure everything! I also downloaded the calorie king app and its more accurate in terms of calories in food, plus you can adjust the amount of grams, cups, tbsp's etc! Then I go onto fitness pal and see which item has the same amount of cals as in calorie king! If not ill add it myself.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I'd say I sit at about 90%.....

I don't do quick add calories ever. However, I have decided I am not done eating and forgotten to log it.