How serious are you about logging your calories in?

Options

Replies

• Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel
    Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I usually add the quick calories to my breakfast because I have homemade popcycles I eat after I walk my hour. Because it's homemade, I add up all the calories I put into the blender, and divide it by the number of pops I make. The first batch were 36 calories, the last batch was 32 calories each. I know what my quick calories are for, and even though a pop is 32 calories, I still count them, every time.

But, when you do that, you can't add in your macros...wouldn't it be just as easy to make it a recipe in your recipe box? Then, you will have exactly the amount of everything, and you can account for it by name. Just curious why you don't do it that way?
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I try to log everything every day, though not ingredient-wise in terms of spices, etc and I'll admit there may be times where I'll forget to log something but generally I get almost if not everything for that day in. Other than MFP I don't log anywhere else, I know my sister keeps a food journal - I find MFP's the only I need/want, keeps me accountable AND you get encouragement/tips/whatever else from friends
  • terrie777
    terrie777 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I log every single bite. I am not doing this halfheartedly. Unfortunately, I went back to school a year and a half ago and I have been stress eating for about six months, but no more. I love this program and have had great luck with it in the past. If you take it seriously it works fantastic!
  • Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel
    Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I log everything that goes in my mouth. Seasonings have calories, and can add up, as well as oils and veggies. My vitamins and supplements also have calories, as well as other macronutrients, so I log them, as well. If I use quick calories, I usually will do it if I can't find an exact amount, or if the scan code calories don't match the calories on the actual package. If that happens, I will add in the difference.
  • j1wright
    j1wright Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    OCD serious, started Jan 31st 2012 and haven't not done it, not for one single day or meal. My counselor was a little concerned until I told her that that I eat all my calories. LOL!
  • terrie777
    terrie777 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering what is in these 'pops'?
  • Royaltvii
    Royaltvii Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I try to be exact. It is a weird thing I do...I will actually get a tape measure out on casseroles or desserts! And when I had cereal this morning...I measured 1/2 cup Grape nuts and 1/2 cup of milk...when I had eaten all the Grape nuts and had milk left over I measured the left over milk at 1/4 cup and subtracted it from the 1 cup I had originally poured. So I guess you could say I am pretty serious about measurements. :blushing:

The one thing I usually don't add is spices.:drinker:
  • frootcat
    frootcat Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm evidently not as serious as some of you, but I generally think I'm pretty serious. I don't do spices, but I log most 'bites' of things. I use a smidge of butter every morning with my eggs, but I don't log that because... I don't know, I just don't. I do know I ate it though. On other things that require oil/butter, I log it--go figure. I don't weigh everything, but I'm fairly certain I usually over estimate. Veggies used in cooking--like onion, celery, bell peppers, etc--may or may not be logged, depending if I remember. Things like potatoes are though, of course.

For me, my BMR, my TDEE, my exercise calories burned... they're all estimates anyway. The bits I don't log and the other bits I over estimate more or less balance out. In my mind, anyway.
  • dlpnrn2b
    dlpnrn2b Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I log everything that goes in my mouth. Seasonings have calories, and can add up, as well as oils and veggies. My vitamins and supplements also have calories, as well as other macronutrients, so I log them, as well. If I use quick calories, I usually will do it if I can't find an exact amount, or if the scan code calories don't match the calories on the actual package. If that happens, I will add in the difference.

^^^ yes, that's me!!
  • jillian769
    jillian769 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I use quick add calories almost once a day because I can't find it in the database or online somewhere, but that doesn't mean I don't take my logging serious. I have lost 88 pounds logging so obviously it hasn't hurt me.
  • dlpnrn2b
    Options
    I try to be exact. It is a weird thing I do...I will actually get a tape measure out on casseroles or desserts! And when I had cereal this morning...I measured 1/2 cup Grape nuts and 1/2 cup of milk...when I had eaten all the Grape nuts and had milk left over I measured the left over milk at 1/4 cup and subtracted it from the 1 cup I had originally poured. So I guess you could say I am pretty serious about measurements. :blushing:

this is when I would drink the milk :) you've got great dedication!!
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I add absolutely everything...even if I know i'm going to be over and what not.
    if I don't log it I'm more than likely going to go wayyy over than if I don't....and if you're not honest, what's the point?
    I also often add things in myself because the ones already in here aren't accurate. Quick calories also don't take into account all of the other things you should be keeping track of as well. I don't ever use that tool anymore.
  • kathyc609
    kathyc609 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I stopped logging a couple months ago -- i know that everything i eat is healthy and it just became a waste of my time. I never measured anything anyway and was never into counting calories.
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options

I do the same thing!
  • dlpnrn2b
    Options
    I use quick add calories almost once a day because I can't find it in the database or online somewhere, but that doesn't mean I don't take my logging serious. I have lost 88 pounds logging so obviously it hasn't hurt me.

88 lbs is awesome :) I say what ever works for ya, do it.. I just think looking at my obsessive logging makes me look like I eat everything or I eat all day long :)
  • Royaltvii
    Options

It is easy for me not to drink the left over milk...I don't like milk alone ;-)
  • jillian769
    Options

I measure things that I'm not sure of, but measuring and weighing every single solitary thing would personally drive me to the insane asylum!!! If it ever came to that I would end up giving up. I am too A.D.D!!!! LOL
  • MooMooooo
    MooMooooo Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I am getting more meticulous as time goes on.

Currently I do not log if I have a taste (1 bite) of my husbands ice cream or burrito when we're out somewhere.

I use quick calories if something similar is in the database but doesn't seem enough, I add extra calories if it seemed more decadent (I had a brand new Baskin Robbins sundae (not in database and I had no idea of cal count) - looked small in the pic but must have been 500ml) gah.

I also add quick calories if I overate the day before and want to add my 'extra' calories to my new day.
  • Royaltvii
    Options

I measure things that I'm not sure of, but measuring and weighing every single solitary thing would personally drive me to the insane asylum!!! If it ever came to that I would end up giving up. I am too A.D.D!!!! LOL

Your A.D.D. but I have a slight O.C.D
  • jillian769
    Options

88 lbs is awesome :) I say what ever works for ya, do it.. I just think looking at my obsessive logging makes me look like I eat everything or I eat all day long :)

Thanks! :) I always am amazed at the people that log every little thing because it does totally fill up the diary and look like a lot...although it's not. I always overestimate my add calories and I always underestimate my exercise calories so that I'm not cheating in any way.