Jam/Jelly/Preserves Help! :)

Options
Lobster1987
Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
Do any of you have a NO SUGAR ADDED jam/jelly/preserves recipe?

I can hardly find any online....and the ones that I have found either don't set well, and are more like syrup or they have juice in them as the sweetener. I don't want any juice in it.

Do you know if I can just make a jam or whatever and replace the sugar with granulated Splenda?

I spend entirely too much money on sugar-free preserves and it's time I just make my own!

Replies

• delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I don't know what to tell you except to make small batches and experiment to make up for the thin nature of sugarless jam. Here are a few recipes. Have you tried the freezer jams?

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search?q=sugarless+jam
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    well splenda is all chemicals so why would you want to use that?

Stevia is a natural supplement...splenda is as evil as aspartame.
  • DevotedWife
    DevotedWife Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You could use dates for sweetness; just dates and fruit in either a blender or food processor. Just add dates until the sweetness is to you liking. I can't think of a reason why Splenda wouldn't work well if you wanted to use it in place of sugar for a recipe.
  • Lobster1987
    Options
    Stevia is nasty and dates have a way too high of a sugar content.

I think I might have to try the small batches and experimenting idea.
  • Lobster1987
    Options
    Do any of you know where to get ascorbic acid from? Is it a liquid or is it powder? I've never used it before.
  • DevotedWife
    Options
    I would use dates b/c they are natural and it would take very little to reach the level of sweetness I would want. Then that small amount would be even less when looking at individual servings of the jam. I understand why you don't want to use them. I'm not trying to convince you; that was for someone else who might read this and be considering using dates.

You should be able to find powdered ascorbic acid near canning supplies in a grocery store, Walmart, etc.
  • Lobster1987
    Options
    Ok, thanks! I found a really yummy looking peach spread recipe that I might experiment with!
  • princessruthiebelle
    princessruthiebelle Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    you can buy fruit sugars which are natural and so in baking you only need half as much??

i think maybe you should go down the natural road??

your going to end up with a jar of fruity chemicals!

obviously its upto you and sugar freee will obvs be les cals so very useful! lol let us know how you go! :)

also for helping to set maybe a small amount of gelatine?? i have no idea if this would help but its worth a try???
  • DevotedWife
    Options
    You're welcome. Is it online? Care to share a link?
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Do any of you have a NO SUGAR ADDED jam/jelly/preserves recipe?

I can hardly find any online....and the ones that I have found either don't set well, and are more like syrup or they have juice in them as the sweetener. I don't want any juice in it.

Do you know if I can just make a jam or whatever and replace the sugar with granulated Splenda?

I spend entirely too much money on sugar-free preserves and it's time I just make my own!

You have to get the Suregel that works when using splenda or another alternative sweetener.

Or find a recipe and use unflavored gelatin.
  • dlrcpa
    dlrcpa Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have tried peach jam a couple of times without success - even using the suregel stuff. I ended up just stirring the result into my oatmeal or using over pancakes or waffles as syrup and that was fine.

I have used tapioca as a thickener in cobblers and pies. If you like tapioca at all, you can look for some recipes using that. There is even something called tapioca flour which might give a smoother texture. I assume it's available in the grocery store, so I may give that a try. Search for "tapioca jam".