How to stop...

Options
jenna25
jenna25 Posts: 213 Member
viewing food as anything but fuel for my body? I know i am an emotional/binge eater but i really want to change the way i look at food and dont know how to change my mindset! anyone else struggle with this? i am so frustrated and sick of gaining and losing the same 5 pounds..i was 3 pounds away from my goal weight and for some reason lost my motivation and slowly allowed the pounds to creep back up until now i am 16 pounds away from my goal weight! would love some advice!

Replies

• Shawn8216
    Shawn8216 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    YESS i struggle with this as well. I know I need food for fuel but sometimes, it just has this recipe for comfort that ends up leaving me feeling extra full and worst off. Im working on viewing food as necessary for my body instead of fuel like I know this food will have a benefit for me. I just forget that when Im having a rough day. I've been good lately, but late night is when emotions hit me and BAM there opens the food cabinets :p I honestly think if night time snacking wasn't an option, the weight would fall off with the help of a reasonable diet and exercise. I eat rather healthy for not eating that much fruit and it's crazy how the things I end up munching on nonstop ARE the healthy stuff but like they say, too much of a good thing can turn bad .. I hope you find a solution, we'll figure something out!!

- Shawn :smile:
  • sararooskie1
    sararooskie1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am in the same exact boat as you. I can never seem to reach my goal weight. It's almost like sabotage. Always gaining and losing that same weight. Yo-yo dieters. I eat to excess when I am either very happy or feel helpless, etc. I obsess about how bad I ate afterwards. Let me know if you figure anything out. I am here for emotional support.

3506893.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • poncito
    poncito Posts: 19
    Options
    stick to your plan everyday.. if you f**** up once or twice, get over it. keep on going and don't look back
  • JaLeSherman
    JaLeSherman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    To be truthful with you, I don't know how people eat when they are upset/depressed. It destroys my stomach and appetite for the duration of the stressful period and I don't know what to think. What helps me to with over eating is when I go to grab some extra food I think to myself, 'how will this get me healthy?' I know that sounds very cliched but I have suffered two miscarriages after years of infertility. Cutting caffeine (Mountain Dew) out of my diet completely enabled me to suddenly start getting pregnant, so for me, I think it has to do with the way of taking care of myself. So now I second-guess my food. You're probably not going through something that extreme but if you force yourself to think 'is this healthy?' 'Is this normal for what my body SHOULD have?' Even if your goal isn't the same as mine, yours could be getting healthier to not have diabetes like so many others struggle with. Find your goal. Make it secure of healthy, and always question what you are grabbing for as a hand to help you along to your goal, or a rock to pull you back. One or two rocks may not be that heavy ... but after a while ... and continual adding of them makes your walk longer and harder. You've got the focus. Control your food. Don't let the food control you.
  • LynC33
    LynC33 Posts: 196
    Options
    Before you binge, why dont you stop and think of how crap and disappointed in yourself you will feel afterward, and think about clogged arteries, diabetes and any other ailment that comes with bad eating. But really, think of how much extra exercise you are going to have to do to burn the binge off!! Dont do that to yourself, why put in the hard work just to throw it away??

Am I putting you off bingeing? I hope so. Believe in yourself more. You can do it! Take control of your demons and dont let them win! :-)) good luck
  • o2co2
    o2co2 Posts: 8
    Options
    This is only a suggestion, and not actual advice (which would put me in some self-declared "expert" category).

From what I am understanding from those who are lean, not skinny, not thin, but maintain a lean fat to muscle ratio, you should not look at food as an enemy. Instead, embrace the possibilities, learn every way you can to prepare healthy meals and snack choices. Become a foodie of finer quality cuisine. Take the time to celebrate the preparation, explore the nuances of flavor combinations, and enjoy the experience of eating as an event. Sit down, eat slowly, turn off the distractions, and savor your meal as if it were in a pricey restaurant. After all, half of what you pay for in an expensive restaurant is the experience, isn't it?

Don't treat food as if it were all wrapped in paper and equally as disposable. Treat it like a visit from a beloved friend, who's company you enjoy, and who's visit you don't want to see end too soon because you wouldn't take your time.