Vitamin D / Calcium / Crams

Options
Josedavid
Josedavid Posts: 695 Member
I train now a lot so, in my long runs, sometimes, i have crams in my calves. Long runs meaning 10km or above.
I thought it was because the lack of salts, remember that here in Saudi the weather is really hot and humid so I lose a lot of water when i run. OK, i bought an hydration belt and I drink regularly.
But still having some crams from time to time. It is true that I push and I feel the crams in Km 6 and above. Usually is only one cram in either one of the two calves.
Then I tried to understand my muscles better and I went to my Personal Training course book, Internet, etc...
I found that the reason for crams could be either the lack of salts or calcium. But I drink isotonic drinks, so salts could not be. Let's see about calcium. I eat yoghurt, I drink milk... but still feeling the crams from time to time.
What happens? Oh, wait... my fisiotherapist asked me about Vitamin D. And I read about Vitamin D. It is the Vitamin that fixes the calcium to the body. OK, which food contains Vitamin D? Egg yolk (i use only whites), fatty fishes (i use only white fish)... and the body produces Vitamin D when it is exposed to the sunlight. Guess what? In Saudi Arabia we are not really keen to expose our body to the sun light... that is too much!!
Let's see if it is the lack of Vitamin D in my body... today I bought Osteocare tablets and it says that contains 100% RDA Vitamin D, calcium and zinc.
I will keep taking it for a while and see if the crams where produced for the lack of calcium fixing to the body because the lack of Vitamin D.
Any of you had the same issue? How did you solve it?

Replies

• missmiddlemarch
    Options
    The cramps could also be from low potassium or magnesium.

http://www.medicinenet.com/muscle_cramps/page2.htm

Mine were relieved by eating more MAGNESIUM containing foods. (pumpkin seeds are very easy to keep around).
  • Josedavid
    Options
    The cramps could also be from low potassium or magnesium.

http://www.medicinenet.com/muscle_cramps/page2.htm

Mine were relieved by eating more MAGNESIUM containing foods. (pumpkin seeds are very easy to keep around).

Thank you!

I think that Magnessium could not be because I eat A LOT of greens, grains, etc.. But anyway.. thanks! :)
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Did you get a bone mineral density too or just get drawn for d vitamin?
  • Josedavid
    Options
    The tablets I bought are "Osteocare" which have also calcium for the bones
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    A blood test may confirm whether or not you are getting enough vitamin D. Plenty of people have a deficiency including me
  • jendon7
    jendon7 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i have hypoparathyroidism (low calcium levels in my blood). i get really bad leg & feet cramps. i have upped my vit d and magnesium supplements (in addition to the calcium i take everyday) and it seems to be helping.
  • Josedavid
    Options
    A blood test may confirm whether or not you are getting enough vitamin D. Plenty of people have a deficiency including me

Dear Steven, I promise i will do the test!
  • Josedavid
    Options
    i have hypoparathyroidism (low calcium levels in my blood). i get really bad leg & feet cramps. i have upped my vit d and magnesium supplements (in addition to the calcium i take everyday) and it seems to be helping.

thanks for sharing!