1200 calories, gaining weight, freaking out

Options
I was on a really great road of losing 1-2 lbs per week. I was eating 1200 calories, got my AF (weight stabilized), and finished my AF to be down again. I decided to on a fat burner under the suggestion of a friend who competes in fitness competitions. (I want to compete in one), did it for a week, felt sick, so I stopped. I figured it'd be a good time to stop because I was starting a new job and didn't want to feel sick then. This was all last week.

Slowly but surely now, I'm gaining weight and I don't know what to do. I'm more active than ever and my new job has me running around (waitress) all the time. I'm wondering if it has to do with the previous fat burner? if this will some how stop causing me to gain weight?

my diet hasn't changed much since before I started, but the weight gain surely has me in a hizzy.

Any suggestions? Advice? I'm getting really worried!

Replies

• 911Megz
    911Megz Posts: 42
    Options
    are you eating all of your calories allotted? If not, your metabolism could be slowing down. Maybe you're just holding onto water weight too?
  • Neekahxo
    Neekahxo Posts: 7
    Options
    It could be just water weight. Remember to weigh yourself after you use the bathroom and before you eat.
    Are you eating healthy? 1,200 calories doesn't mean you can eat whatever. Keep eating clean and lean!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    How much have you gained?

1-2 lbs of minor variation isn't much. If you've put 5-10 back on (weighing at the same time, of course), it might be a cause for concern.
  • Aquaduckie
    Aquaduckie Posts: 115
    Options
    If you are more active than ever, I would reevaluate your caloric needs. Chances are you need MORE calories to sustain you doing more activity. I hit a wall very early on, eating only 1200 calories. Then I decided to bump up my calories to about 1500 a day. It worked! The weight is still coming off. It slows down after the first little while anyway. But 1200 calories is the minimum # of calories any woman should eat a day... regardless of her weight. I don't know how much you weigh or what your goal weight is, but I would really recommend eating more, not less. Your body holds onto what energy it has to conserve it if it's not getting the fuel it needs to sustain daily activity. This could be why you are gaining weight/stalled with your weight loss.
  • AlexanderK1994
    AlexanderK1994 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Since you're moving much more, maybe you're not eating enough?
  • jvega1124
    jvega1124 Posts: 1
    Options
    Depending on your salt intake you can gain up to 10 lb! I know that if I drink any alcohol or eat really salty foods I swell up like a sponge! Then it takes me about 5 to 7 days to get back to where I was. The trick to this hole thing is not to get frustrated and do not give up! You should be changing your eating habits and making a new way of life. There should never be a time limit to being fit and eating healthy! Do not get frustrated just keep on trucking! i have decided to add walking to my way of life and that has boosted my weight loss. Try to up your exercise. If you keep on going and you don't give up you will be fine.....
  • LetsDoTh1S
    LetsDoTh1S Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies!!

I'm 5'9'' and I weigh 140. Last week I was 137, I thought it could be water so stuck with protein yesterday, but it still didn't work out too well for me.

I'm competing in a Victoria Secret-esque bikini competition in 3 months, so I'm really trying to shed the weight (otherwise, I'd just be happy at 140). :-/

MFP says 1200 to lose 2 lbs per week with an active lifestyle, so I'm not sure what else to do?
  • Priyaup
    Priyaup Posts: 2
    Options
    The previous posts of watching what you're 1200 cals are made of, and when you're eating them is fantastic advice. If you feel you're gaining too much weight (upwards of 10lbs) in a short space of time, you may consider getting you're thyroid hormone levels checked, juuust to make sure. It can't hurt anyways to have a physical, and see what's going on. If you're hours are rough, try keeping small, healthy snacks with you that you can munch on every 2 hours, even at work. Planning out these 5 to 6 small meals at the beginning of each day is so helpful. Snacks like cut fruit and vegetables, and trail mix (eat in moderation), are the best. Keep a water bottle with you throughout your day, and drink at least 4-6 bottles worth, since you may be getting dehydrated. This leads to increased salt levels in your body, so that when you do end up drinking water, you're body holds onto it to dilute those natural salts instead of filtering it through properly. You may end up going to the bathroom more initially, but it's all for health. Hope this was helpful, all the best!!!
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies!!

I'm 5'9'' and I weigh 140. Last week I was 137, I thought it could be water so stuck with protein yesterday, but it still didn't work out too well for me.

I'm competing in a Victoria Secret-esque bikini competition in 3 months, so I'm really trying to shed the weight (otherwise, I'd just be happy at 140). :-/

MFP says 1200 to lose 2 lbs per week with an active lifestyle, so I'm not sure what else to do?

At 5'9" and 140lbs your goal to lose 2 lbs a week is unrealistic, your body does not have that much weight to lose, with an active lifestyle and your stats I'd switch it to 1 lb a week or 0.5 lb a week, but that's just my 2 cents.
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have a healthy mix of nutrients in your diet.

As others have said it could be water weight. If you are eating fewer calories than you are burning the weight gain cannot be fat it is physically impossible. Assuming your diet is healthy in the last week I would stick to it and see what happens in a couple of weeks. I know it can be really hard when the scales do not agree with your activity/diet but you have to trust in the correct way of doing things.

The anomalies in weight loss rates is a key thing for fad diets etc as people are so vulnerable when the scales disagree, but if you keep on a healthy lifestyle you will be better off in the long run.
  • nickyrobinson
    nickyrobinson Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    At 5'9" and 140 lb, your BMI is low-normal, so losing 2 lb/week is way on the high side. (2 lb/week is for obese girls like me.)

You should try switching to 1 lb/week.
  • mquarry
    mquarry Posts: 21
    Options
    I found out that I am eating too little, and sometimes MFP doesn't do the calculations properly. I will probably have to raise it again from what it is right now. If you are active, you are probably need to adjust how many calories you should be eating. Go find a calorie calculator online that lets you put in your activity level, too, and then subtract 200-300 from it and put it in MFP.

Also remember that what you eat is very important, too, not just the calories. And make sure to log drinks and sauces, because those aren't calorie free. Try to cut out sugar from your diet if you haven't already. That alone will help increase your nutrients and give you better quality foods to eat so that you can eat more of those. If you're already doing this, you can ignore this bit of advice. :)