*stands up* Hi, I have a snacking problem....

Options
Hey all,

I'm sure I am not alone on this so I thought I would set up a thread. Today I have decided I really need to cut out my snacking, I do it mainly out of boredom and I need to try and put a stop to it. I know its a boredom thing as i funnily do not snack nearly as much on the weekends.

So my plan is to have 1 200 cal snack in the afternoon and my other meals as normal. The exception to this rule is I tend to have a Protein shake after my Ripped in 30 DVD as i ache terribly the next day if i dont.

Anyone else want to join me on my quest or have some tips?

Replies

• wabrody
    wabrody Posts: 202
    Options
    I had the same problem for a while. I was always snacking. What I did was i started drinking more water and I would only allow myself 2 snacks. I always make sure that the snack is a piece of fruit.
  • Pinoy_Pal
    Pinoy_Pal Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Whenever I need to suppress my appetite, I'll usually eat foods that are filling. But if I must snack, I'll try and keep it on the healthy side (i.e. raisins, dried cranberries, trail mix, fruit slices, etc.)
  • specialtreat
    Options
    Hi I have a snacking problem too, yes purely from boredom/ habit.... I still snack but no longer on chocolate,chips, coke a cola, biscuits, lollies, cake.
    I now snack on FRUIT, lots of fresh fruit, and some nuts and seeds daily. When I really feel the urge for some of the "naughty" snacking I pop some popcorn or I'll have a little piece of chocolate {kept frozen in the freezer, takes longer to eat and takes away the craving}
    I am only at the start of my life style change, so I am hoping soon the snacking will become less..
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I can't stop snacking at work.
    Trying to choose healthy but still using too many cals before lunch.
    Mandarins seem to be good, had 10 peanuts as well today, and a sandwich.

I think I won today.
  • AH2013
    AH2013 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Oh yes!! I don't do it at work, but I do on my days off, opposite way round to you! Now though, I'm filling myself up with water, filling breakfast (protein smoothie usually) and lunch. My snack is a Greek yoghurt if I need something mid-morning (after a workout at office gym), and afternoon snack if I need one is an apple with peanut butter. I really want a biscuit or some choccy sometimes but I've just cleared them all out of the house for the 21 day no junk food challenge...and a challenge it will be! haha

But it's for the greater good and I find as long as I am satiated I'm not interested in snacking as much. Good luck :)
  • weezykid
    weezykid Posts: 50
    Options
    I had the same problem for a while. I was always snacking. What I did was i started drinking more water and I would only allow myself 2 snacks. I always make sure that the snack is a piece of fruit.

I drink a lot of water and i still find I want to snack but its not hunger I know that much.

I find that snacking on fruit doesnt work for me as I tend to be hungry about 2 seconds later so my snacks have to be more carb and protein based. I am just trying to limit myself to 200cals worth of snacks a day as i was probably eating up to 600cals by the time i was done most days
  • texastango
    texastango Posts: 309
    Options
    Hey all,

I'm sure I am not alone on this so I thought I would set up a thread. Today I have decided I really need to cut out my snacking, I do it mainly out of boredom and I need to try and put a stop to it. I know its a boredom thing as i funnily do not snack nearly as much on the weekends.

I'm going to try and make this fast and sweet: - Well, not so sweet...

What I do personally, and what will work for you may differ..but here is my suggestion.

If snacking more...makes you eat more calories....then don't snack.

However, for me, snacking constantly means I feel less hungry come meal time. This is NOT true for everyone. I make my snacks count and as my Korean Dance Partner likes to say...most of the time I make my snacks count. She says "you are so economical with your calories". What she means is...as a snack...after workouts I might have an all natural Quest Protein Bar which has 160 calories, 20 grams of protein, 16 grams of fiber, and net carbs of 6 with all sugar coming from Nuts and Stevia.

I might have a sandwich bag of strawberries, hard boiled egg whites, celerey, grapes, Red Pepper strips, and cherry tomatoes totally about 130 calories.

Ten hard boiled egg whites would equal 170 calories and nearly 35 grams of protein with no cholesterol and costs less than a protein bar.

So you first have to deside if snacking helps you cut down on big meal calories and makes you feel less hungry. If it does find snacks that work for you and are high protein, high fiber, or both depending on what you are going to do that day and what part of the day it is.

If I'm going to work out and run, swim, or lift weights I don't eat lots of fiber early...but leave that to evening. If I'm on a light day I would include fiber throughout the day. Spreading food out throughout the day does have other benefits. It lowers insulin spikes, therefore limiting hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and low blood sugar itself can make you feel hungry. By keeping insulin levels from spiking it also helps glycogen synthesis rates remain stable and glycogen synthesis is the power that you use for physical activity.

Bottom line is spreading your food out and snacking has some advantages...but if you are trying to lose weight....do what will help you limit your calories...Snacking through out the day is beneficial only if you can limit your calories and keep your snacks healthy.
    8443442.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • weezykid
    Options
    Whenever I need to suppress my appetite, I'll usually eat foods that are filling. But if I must snack, I'll try and keep it on the healthy side (i.e. raisins, dried cranberries, trail mix, fruit slices, etc.)

Ive found I have been a lot better since I change my breakfast from Porrige to Oat-a-bix, greek yogurt and fruit...I get a lot more for my calories and it fills me up....i still end up snacking a few hours later though but i think its more habit now than hunger
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Here's what I do: Healthy snacks only during the week. Junk food snacks allowed one day a week. Bring the snack of the day to work, rather than bringing the whole package to work and storing it there.
  • weezykid
    Options
    Hi I have a snacking problem too, yes purely from boredom/ habit.... I still snack but no longer on chocolate,chips, coke a cola, biscuits, lollies, cake.
    I now snack on FRUIT, lots of fresh fruit, and some nuts and seeds daily. When I really feel the urge for some of the "naughty" snacking I pop some popcorn or I'll have a little piece of chocolate {kept frozen in the freezer, takes longer to eat and takes away the craving}
    I am only at the start of my life style change, so I am hoping soon the snacking will become less..

Ive been lucky in that sense as due to my wheat allergy I have had to snack on fruits, nuts etc anyway. My only downfall is flapjacks lol

Its become a running joke in my office that I am always eating, but I am also one of the slimmest so I cant be doing too much wrong
  • weezykid
    Options
    I can't stop snacking at work.
    Trying to choose healthy but still using too many cals before lunch.
    Mandarins seem to be good, had 10 peanuts as well today, and a sandwich.

I think I won today.

Well done you, Im winning so far but its only 10am here lol I have a cereal bar and some cottage cheese as a snack which I am trying to save until the afternoon. I am also going to try and not have my lunch at 11 like I always do
  • weezykid
    Options
    Oh yes!! I don't do it at work, but I do on my days off, opposite way round to you! Now though, I'm filling myself up with water, filling breakfast (protein smoothie usually) and lunch. My snack is a Greek yoghurt if I need something mid-morning (after a workout at office gym), and afternoon snack if I need one is an apple with peanut butter. I really want a biscuit or some choccy sometimes but I've just cleared them all out of the house for the 21 day no junk food challenge...and a challenge it will be! haha

But it's for the greater good and I find as long as I am satiated I'm not interested in snacking as much. Good luck :)

Greek yogurt has been amazing for me! Where i am now is definitely a lot better than where I started but I still have a bit of a way to go to kick the habit
  • weezykid
    Options
    Hey all,

I'm going to try and make this fast and sweet: - Well, not so sweet...

What I do personally, and what will work for you may differ..but here is my suggestion.

If snacking more...makes you eat more calories....then don't snack.

However, for me, snacking constantly means I feel less hungry come meal time. This is NOT true for everyone. I make my snacks count and as my Korean Dance Partner likes to say...most of the time I make my snacks count. She says "you are so economical with your calories". What she means is...as a snack...after workouts I might have an all natural Quest Protein Bar which has 160 calories, 20 grams of protein, 16 grams of fiber, and net carbs of 6 with all sugar coming from Nuts and Stevia.

I might have a sandwich bag of strawberries, hard boiled egg whites, celerey, grapes, Red Pepper strips, and cherry tomatoes totally about 130 calories.

Ten hard boiled egg whites would equal 170 calories and nearly 35 grams of protein with no cholesterol and costs less than a protein bar.

So you first have to deside if snacking helps you cut down on big meal calories and makes you feel less hungry. If it does find snacks that work for you and are high protein, high fiber, or both depending on what you are going to do that day and what part of the day it is.

If I'm going to work out and run, swim, or lift weights I don't eat lots of fiber early...but leave that to evening. If I'm on a light day I would include fiber throughout the day. Spreading food out throughout the day does have other benefits. It lowers insulin spikes, therefore limiting hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and low blood sugar itself can make you feel hungry. By keeping insulin levels from spiking it also helps glycogen synthesis rates remain stable and glycogen synthesis is the power that you use for physical activity.

Bottom line is spreading your food out and snacking has some advantages...but if you are trying to lose weight....do what will help you limit your calories...Snacking through out the day is beneficial only if you can limit your calories and keep your snacks healthy.
    8443442.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Some great tips, thank you!

The morning snacks for me definitely has to go as I dont need it and I have this and then find myself eating lunch at 11am as well. The afternoon snack has to stay as otherwise my blood sugar drops during my workout after work
  • Assassins_Angel
    Options
    i have a bit of a snacking problem myself mainly through bordem but i found eating chewy mints helps
  • weezykid
    Options
    Here's what I do: Healthy snacks only during the week. Junk food snacks allowed one day a week. Bring the snack of the day to work, rather than bringing the whole package to work and storing it there.

Im terrible as i bring my snacks and then go to the work canteen if i still feel peckish lol

I have my snacks with me now and will sit on my hands and get nothing else *tries to channel will power*
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I used to snack but since switching to low carb I don't feel the need. I used to do all that low fat whatnot on rice cakes nonsense mid-afternoon and thought I was doing myself a favour. Big mistake.

I defy anyone putting away 3 scrambled eggs, bacon and cheese cooked in butter as breakfast (as I am wont to do) to be THAT hungry throughout the day.

I have also found that limiting the carbs means I don't crave them anymore ... the insulin rollercoaster has been derailed :)

One day I may post something that doesn't praise the virtues of giving up the carbs but it's pretty tricky ...
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    I've mostly given up snacking, and I love it! It means I can eat decent sized meals.
  • ferscavan
    ferscavan Posts: 2
    Options
    Well, got same problem too. I tend to snack a lot and I munch on those with high calorie food. What I am doing now is make sure that I have lots of liquids (water). Here in the Philippines, we are fond of eating white rice during our meal so as much as possible I eat half a cup and the rest are low calorie food. Starting today, no more cheese burger during weekday. Fruits Fruits Fruits!!!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I used to snack but since switching to low carb I don't feel the need. I used to do all that low fat whatnot on rice cakes nonsense mid-afternoon and thought I was doing myself a favour. Big mistake.

I defy anyone putting away 3 scrambled eggs, bacon and cheese cooked in butter as breakfast (as I am wont to do) to be THAT hungry throughout the day.

I have also found that limiting the carbs means I don't crave them anymore ... the insulin rollercoaster has been derailed :)

One day I may post something that doesn't praise the virtues of giving up the carbs but it's pretty tricky ...

^^^ this^^^ I eat a similar breakfast--2 eggs, 4 slices of soy bacon, a high fiber tortilla, and a slice of cheese--and sometimes it is 5+ hours before I have the urge to eat lunch, despite a 90 minute gym session ( 60 minutes on the treadmill, 20-30 minutes on weights).

my biggest snacky time is in the evening when the hubby and kids are having chips, peanut butter crackers and all kinds of stuff...I try to save some calories/carbs for that time.
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I am a big time snacker. Snacked my way up to 270 lbs ;)

My favorite snacks are salty snacks and I just haven't found much to replace it that has any volume and few calories. I have since switched to mostly fuit and veggies for snacks and find them very satisfying and obviously much more healthy than any amount of Doritos.

I also just started with these Yasso Greek yogurt bars. Delish and only 70 calories, lots of protien,

Finally, I chew a lot of gum. It helps me curb my snacking urge but more importantly it helps me get over my smoking urges since I quit 22 days ago.