Heart Rates + Fat Burn

I use a lot of the cardio machines at the gym (i.e. treadmill and elliptical) and sometimes use the fat burning option. I get a certain heart rate that I am at, but the speed at which I'm going always seems to slow, so I just end up doing whatever I want (going faster than it says). Are there any benefits to staying at the heart rate the machine says you're supposed to be on? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Nikkin00
    Nikkin00 Posts: 13 Member
    I've been wondering much the same recently...

*waits*
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Absolutely not, the "fat-burning zone" is an outdated myth. The fact is though you may burn a higher percentage of fat at low speeds, you burn a bigger total of fat (and total calories which really makes the difference in losing weight) at a faster speed.

The only reason to slow down is if you're going for a specific distance or time and can't keep it up at the speed you're going, or if you're feeling exhausted by the time of your next workout.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Absolutely not, the "fat-burning zone" is an outdated myth. The fact is though you may burn a higher percentage of fat at low speeds, you burn a bigger total of fat (and total calories which really makes the difference in losing weight) at a faster speed.

The only reason to slow down is if you're going for a specific distance or time and can't keep it up at the speed you're going, or if you're feeling exhausted by the time of your next workout.

^ this is your answer

fat burning zone is a deliberate bastardisation of scientific fact by machine manufacturers and gyms to promote their equiptment. It's a message many people 'want' to hear, you can burn more fat by not exerting yourself very hard. Nonsense.

Most cals overall come from being in the aerobic zone for a sustained period, say an hour. But you get a great burn in the other higher zones too, you just can't sustain them for as long. All are valuable and variety is good. You can work in the nonsense"fat burning zone" by walking around the shops :-)
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member

Bingo!