Only eat when hungry?

Options
I keep reading lots of articles and comments about eating only when you are hungry. Yes it makes total sense. But, if I could do that I wouldn't have put weight on in the first place.

How do you not eat, when you are not hungry?

What do you do instead?

Does it become a habit after so long? And if so how long?

What is your experience on this?

Replies

• hotcocoa8
    hotcocoa8 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to do this, but it is definitely easier said than done. I think it becomes a habit, because you don't want to eat except when you are hungry, and when you eat when not hungry, it almost feels forced, and you have to question why are you eating and if something is bothering you. It really does make you ask those questions after awhile.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I'm having a little bit of difficulty understanding the question, but I'll try my best to answer it. As to "how do you not eat when you are not hungry," I'm a little puzzled as to what to say. Just...don't? I mean, eating doesn't just happen; you have to decide on doing it, go get the food, prepare the food (depending on what it is), and then eat it. If you know you aren't hungry, then don't choose to do those things.

Now a lot of people have a problem determining when they're hungry in the first place. In that situation, logging your food can help a lot. If you can look at what you've already eaten and when, then it's easier to analyze whether you're really physically hungry or whether it's something else. Once you determine that, then you can come up with better solutions to what's actually bothering you. Food is a great solution to hunger, but a poor one for boredom or anxiety or really anything else. As to what exactly to do, that depends on the individual. Some people like knitting while others like playing video games. Do what makes you feel better.
  • 123Linz
    123Linz Posts: 80
    Options
    Zug
    I am asking for ideas on what to do instead of eating something when I am not hungry
    How long does it take to change this habit?
    And peoples personal experiences with this.
  • ElizaGeorge
    ElizaGeorge Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I had a problem with eating when I wasn't hungry. Feeling "snacky" turned into mindlessly eating tons of calories. Here's how I've conquered it (for the most part ;) ):

- I eat 6 times a day. Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack. I aim for 300ish calories for breakfast and lunch, 100-300 for snacks, saving the most calories for dinner (I have 1800 calories for the day). It doesn't have to be this way, it's just how I do it. I eat breakfast, then exercise then eat a small snack when I get back from the gym while I start to cook lunch. I eat less lunch and my snacks are usually fruit or almonds.
    -Have some protein in every meal and every snack. Almonds and peanut butter are great for that for me!
    -Drink water. Tons of it. I drink about 12 (8 oz) cups a day. I had to work up to that number, but if you spread it throughout the day you are full, hydrated and you don't get that "sloshy" feeling when you chug it.
    -When I absolutely have to eat something, I reach for fruit or sunflower seeds that are still in the shell. Fruit is satisfying and sunflower seeds are salty (like chips) and take forever to eat, so they satisfy me.

A lot of times you may think you're hungry, but may actually be thirsty. It's a lot easier to not eat when you keep yourself busy. I've started spending more time at the gym and at the pool because it pulls me away from the house (and away from my cabinets!!). Good luck :)
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Zug
    I am asking for ideas on what to do instead of eating something when I am not hungry
    How long does it take to change this habit?
    And peoples personal experiences with this.
    Ah, gotcha. I was more confused just on the wording, sorry. :smile:

For ideas, are there any hobbies you have that you already enjoy? If you start doing those more, then you'll be less likely to be bored and eat by default. If not, then you could try finding something new or try something you've always thought of but never jumped into before. The site meetup.com is a good starting point; it helps you find other people/groups in your area with similar interests. There are groups for everything you can think of; my boyfriend has found groups to attend heavy metal concerts with and my dad found a hiking group, so it's worth a look.

As to the timing, I haven't had a problem with it myself (never been a big eater, just ate the wrong things) but my boyfriend has a habit of eating *all the time* that he's trying to stop. For him, what's worked is to set his calorie goal somewhat lower than what's necessary to lose weight. Then, if he manages to stick to that number, he's on track, and even if he eats more than he was planning on, he's probably still on track.

It does get easier as time goes on; you have to get used to it. I don't imagine there's a hard timeline that applies to everyone though; it likely depends on the individual. It's like any other change though. It will be foreign at first and you might struggle with it, but if you keep at it, it eventually won't be so difficult.
  • Osanyin
    Osanyin Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I spend a lot of time in the backcountry. Hiking for miles and drinking water from streams that cross my path. It's wonderful. ANYWAY. I mention that because I've learned and also teach my students that one of the first signs of dehydration is hunger. I don't do the greatest job of drinking water when I'm not hiking, but I'm getting better. When I do drink instead of eating I can feel my body unshriveling.

Sometimes, however, plain water doesn't always do it for me. I also drink iced tea made from herbal teas, and lemonade, or lemon soda made from carbonated water, lemon juice and stevia.

Moral of the story: Drink.
  • VanessaMFaulkner
    Options
    Drink water...stay hydrated.

Eat small portions every few hrs...its hard to listen to your body tell you its full when your binging like Miss Piggy cuz you were sooo hungry.

Write it down so you can start to identify...really hungry, low blood sugar, mindless eating, stress? Can't begin to change until you begin to identify you eating habits & triggers.
  • rumpusparable
    rumpusparable Posts: 160
    Options
    I can't agree with the "only eat when you're hungry" thing, but from the opposite direction from snacking... My whole life, if I only ate when hungry (and often did just through not planning) I would end up eating once ever 2-3 days. Once I was married, my husband would often go to make himself food and have to ask me when I'd last eaten... only to find I was a couple days away from my last meal. He started the habit of reminding me to eat until I took it on myself to keep track.

So yeah, I don't think it's a good guideline at all. I'd rather suggest eating by the clock of some method.
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    i combatted this by only having a limited supply of food at any given time. For example, if I wanted to snack right now my only option would be an orange. But that is easier for me because I dont have a refrigerator or kitchen lol.
  • 123Linz
    123Linz Posts: 80
    Options
    Thank you to all of you, this has really helped.

So starting to look at my problem, and the first thing I realize (which is staring me in the face (Duh!)) is that I run a business from home and I am frequently passing the kitchen.

I can't commit to doing something at a set time every week, during April through October because of work, I have to stay flexible, and just writing this has made me realize that is some of the problem, it's not possible for me to get much of a routine in season.

I know when I am hungry and when I'm not, so at least I'm aware of that much.

Going to keep a journal and write down all of my triggers
    I might try and set times for meals and go by the clock, not sure how do-able this is with my work sometimes, but mostly it is.
    I have no problem drinking water, it's my main drink anyway, but I do need more of it.

I have just been free cruising on the food, which in itself is quite healthy recently, but too much of everything.