rock bottom... again... and again

Options
So a couple months ago my a large group of family members went to the aquarium. My sister in law sent me some pix she took - one of which was me holding my son. It was a horrible picture of me and really showed me that something needed to be done about my weight - my rock bottom. I carried that photo in my purse and would pull it out to remind myself it was a problem. I started trying to eat better and take my son for long walks when I got home from work, etc. Recently I had to attend several events (wedding, graduation, etc) and each time I've had to go shopping for a dress I feel like I hit that rock bottom all over again. Worse, when the photos from these events come out and I see myself in them it's rock bottom again and again! It's so depressing.

Each day I come in under my calorie goal and I really try to exercise at least 3 times a week for an hour or so plus I've tried to better my eating habits (especially breakfast and lunch) but I'm not seeing improvement. Ergh.

Replies

• Ripcode
    Ripcode Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Try upping the number of workouts per week.
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I started seeing more change once I started working out 30 min a day 6x's a week instead of 45 min 2x's a week and kept increasing my time :)
  • rcloyd5
    rcloyd5 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I understand where you are. It is really frustrating. Don't let it bring you down. Put your head up and continue to do what you are doing. Maybe add a few more workouts per week as well. If you stick with it, the weight will come off.
  • jeawashko
    jeawashko Posts: 40
    Options
    I'm sorry you're feeling this way! It's frustrating when you're trying and not seeing the results you need. I think it's great you're keeping a picture with you to keep you motivated, this can definitely help with the mental aspect. First I think it's important to remember that you didn't gain all of this weight overnight, and you're not going to lose it overnight. Continue to make changes in your diet and adding exercise and you WILL see a difference if you keep it up. If you're unable to workout more in the week, especially pay attention to your diet. Even if you're staying "under" your calorie goal, make sure you're eating clean. Lots of fruits, veggies, protein, and drink your water! Taking your son for a walk is a great way to spend time with him and get some cardio as well, maybe try adding a workout DVD when he is taking a nap if you can. If you really want this, you can do it! Keep a positive attitude! Good luck!
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    What works for me is walking, yes, but real REAL fast. Walking, almost jogging, until I can hardly breath and sweat is rolling down into my eyes.
    (My little grand son LOVES it when I push him this fast! Just be careful, make sure the walk way is totally smooth so no accidents)

But usually I use my treadmill and put it on an incline. I looked online and found a good work out for a treadmill. It's only for 1/2 hr. but it kicks my butt! It starts slow, then goes faster, then a minute of slow, then fast etc. etc.

I am sure you'll get other advice here also.
    Open your food diary so people can help you better.

Good luck to you.
  • biznoche
    biznoche Posts: 43
    Options
    I've noticed with myself that even one cheat day where I really over do it can erase all of the good I've done for the week. Not that you shouldn't enjoy yourself when you attend social events, but you might want to try to plan ahead a little better. I feel bad because I know how you feel with the pictures. Maybe you should use more positive images of yourself for motivation. Good luck!
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    open your diary and we can help you better.
  • Madam_Patrick
    Madam_Patrick Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I totally know the feeling! I struggled and found that watching my carbs and sodium closer, I was able to start shedding the weight. I haven't had huge success, but 30+lbs in 32 weeks is "slow and steady wins the race." And that's my plan. I want to lose it slowly and the right way. I don't need to shed it like crazy and then it all come right back.
    If you'd like, you can add me as a friend.
    Keep on keepin' on!
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint. It takes time for changes to occur. I would recommend, if you haven't already, that you take measurements. Don't rely on the scale--it lies. I can fluctuate in weight up to three pounds over the course of two consecutive mornings, and that is not even at TOM. A measuring tape will show you more accurate results, as will the way your clothes fit.

If you are honest about your calorie intake, and are eating at a deficit, the weight will start to come off, but it takes time for the body to regulate. Being patient was often the hardest part for me. Oh, and while it is important to exercise for overall health, in all honestly, unless you are exercising like a Biggest Loser contestant, it's tough to lose appreciable weight with exercise. The diet is what is going to get you the biggest loss. I don't know what your food intake looks like, but what really worked well for me was cutting out the majority of the processed carbs I ate and adding in more vegetables.

Going in with the attitude that this is a lifestyle change, and making healthy changes, will help you maintain the loss once you reach your goal. Good luck!
  • Alpine005
    Alpine005 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Too vague.

What's "no results"? Have you lost 0 pounds?

What's your weekly goal set to?

Are you REALLY logging everything going into your mouth?

How many calories are you eating?
  • desert_rhino
    desert_rhino Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, those photos (and I have several in my phone to remind me) are motivational, but they do tend to "push" me to a "faster, faster" kind of mentality. I just can't stand being this size, and I want it to change. Steady, solid changes in diet and exercise are what works. Always have.

What's helped me the most is logging everything. Every nut, every chip, every piece of fruit gets logged as best I can, and it really helps.

Keep going. You CAN!
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale if you do not have one. Portion and serving size is very easy to over estimate. I really noticed changes once I started weighing everything. Also, make sure you are reading labels on anything you are eating. Try to cook your food yourself as much as possible. I know this can be hard to do. I cook in bulk so I can have healthy options on hand to keep the temptations down...Best of luck with your weightloss journey...
  • Stallion_Duck007
    Options
    DON'T GIVE UP! You can do this! This happens to me all the time!

Sometimes I sneak some food into my diet, and think if I don't log it, it won't count! IT DOES. Try also drinking lots of water, and increasing your fiber intake! Try eating six small meals a day instead of 3 big ones. Try eating more protein. Try increasing the number of times you work out, and decrease the amount of time you actually spend working out. Try new and different things, but please please please, don't give up!!

Like I said, you can do this!

Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!
    Best of luck!
    xoxo
  • qsusanevans
    qsusanevans Posts: 36
    Options
    I see you just started this month. Good For YOU!! Give it some time, it's only been a little while and it takes a while to change habits. Hang in there you have so much support. Q
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Each day I come in under my calorie goal and I really try to exercise at least 3 times a week for an hour or so plus I've tried to better my eating habits (especially breakfast and lunch) but I'm not seeing improvement. Ergh.

How long have you been dieting/exercising for? What progress so far?
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips and encouragement.

The reason I only get in 3 workouts a week is because I work full time, go to school part time and have a 1 year old son. Not an excuse, just an explanation. I will take the advise and try upping the number of workouts and lowering the duration a little.

Being "good" at breakfast and lunch is easier for me because its just me. Dinner time I have the baby and my husband and so cooking and eating the best options is a bit harder but I guess I just need to try harder.

For those who asked - I just started on May 1st on MFP and logging food/exercise. I have not weighed in since my start date so right now my progress shows 0. MFP put my daily calorie goal at 1370 calories. I am 5 foot tall and weigh 187 lbs (well, hopefully a little less now).

Thanks again for the advice!