Weight gain!! Arghhhhh!!! Help!!!!

Options
I have been sticking with MFP religiously, last week I lost 7 pounds,:happy: but when I weighed myself on Sunday morning I had put on 5 pounds, :grumble: is this normal?Just feel so discouraged now!!! :huh: Really thought I had lost weight this week!! :angry: Is that happening to anyone else?????

Replies

• SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's a bad week. It's my second plateau (or gain!). It happens to the best of us, and you have to keep your head up and keep doing what you are doing. It'll start the other way soon.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is very rarely linear. There will be weeks you lose, weeks you stay the same, weeks you gain, weeks with a bigger drop, weeks with a smaller drop.

Any weight gain you're seeing while on a calorie deficit is normal fluid retention and fluctuation caused by sodium, exercise, or hormonal changes. I "gained" eight pounds overnight after going out for shrimp alfredo, garlic bread and a scone. It was water weight from the excess sodium. I would have had to have consumed 28,000 calories above my maintenance level to have really gained 8 pounds.

Track your progress through measurements, how clothes fit, and photos, as well as the scale. Don't be concerned about a slight increase on the scale.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is very rarely linear. There will be weeks you lose, weeks you stay the same, weeks you gain, weeks with a bigger drop, weeks with a smaller drop.

Any weight gain you're seeing while on a calorie deficit is normal fluid retention and fluctuation caused by sodium, exercise, or hormonal changes. I "gained" eight pounds overnight after going out for shrimp alfredo, garlic bread and a scone. It was water weight from the excess sodium. I would have had to have consumed 28,000 calories above my maintenance level to have really gained 8 pounds.

Track your progress through measurements, how clothes fit, and photos, as well as the scale. Don't be concerned about a slight increase on the scale.
    Listen to Lorina, for she is of sound mind and hot, fit body.
  • Marque74
    Marque74 Posts: 60
    Options
    Just hang in there. Sometimes your sodium intake will cause your body to retain water. Just keep on keeping on.
  • berrythin79
    berrythin79 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hey hang in there.... Like everyone is saying you will have those kinds of weeks. I experience them too so I feel just like you. I keep telling myself to hang in there and stick with it. Have an awesome weight week!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options

I fluctuate up to 5lbs daily.
  • cmayfield3
    cmayfield3 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you found out that the 7 pound loss was mostly illusory. The good news is that you are down 2 pounds over 2 weeks which is awesome! It's your trend over time, rather than any particular week, that matters.
  • joyb31
    joyb31 Posts: 8
    Options
    Glad to know that I am not alone here..For the past month I have been having my ups and downs..I lost 17 & gained 3 or 4..I do zumba, aerobics & walk (try to get at least 2 miles in each time) as much as possible..Good luck to all who are on the same page with me.
  • lizzielou67
    lizzielou67 Posts: 35
    Options

^^THIS!^^

I fluctuate a lot too. Some meals are sodium laden and sometimes I actually go up after a really tough workout as muscles retain some water to help "heal" the small tears caused by working out.

Also, hormones play a huge role for some! I had a hysterectomy several years ago and have no clue if I'm PMSing or not so sometimes a gain of 5 lbs or so is due to that. I always gained at least 5 lbs during that "moment" in my life so that hasn't changed for me.

Don't be discouraged! Keep up the good work and stay healthy. :-)
  • idziak04
    idziak04 Posts: 69
    Options
    I am right there with you! I "gained" 2 pounds since Friday. I know that mine is water retention due to an excess of sodium and hormonal fluctuations, but it sure is a major downer! I am going to drink a crazy amount of water today to try to flush out the sodium. Keep up the good work and don't give up!