tough mudder

Options
Has anyone done a Tough Mudder or know anyone who has finished the race?? A friend of a friend said Tough Mudder is harder than a marathon! I don't believe it!!

Replies

• PShep17
    PShep17 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I know people that are doing it this year! Wouldn't surprise me if it was tougher than a marathon. Have you checked out the course?
  • TheNovusVita
    Options
    Heard of it, pretty sure they do this event in most places around the globe, would be awesome to try it one time in your life I think.

Quote from the Aussie site for Tough Mudder;

"Tough Mudder events are hardcore 20 km-long obstacle courses designed by British Special Forces to test your all around strength, stamina, mental grit, and camaraderie. With the most innovative courses and half a million inspiring participants, Tough Mudder is the premier adventure challenge series in the world."
  • taetae1323
    taetae1323 Posts: 6
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LastMinuteMama

A fellow MFP competed in Tough Mudder. I am competing this next year.
  • brett1117
    brett1117 Posts: 208
    Options
    Yes, I'm doing a tough mudder in Sept
    I know people that are doing it this year! Wouldn't surprise me if it was tougher than a marathon. Have you checked out the course?
  • ackman2002
    ackman2002 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My friend just competed in it a few weeks ago, it is extremely tough. I think he was crazy.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Have you seen photos/video of a Tough Mudder? I'd say definitely harder than a marathon. I'm registered! Can't wait :)
  • brett1117
    Options
    I've finished 4 marathons. I can't see tough mudder being harder but we will see. I registered for the Wisc event in Sept
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I've finished 4 marathons. I can't see tough mudder being harder but we will see. I registered for the Wisc event in Sept

You know it's not just running, right?
  • brett1117
    Options
    Yes I know it's not just running
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Yes I know it's not just running

I wasn't being facetious by the way - it's just all that other stuff you have to do along the way is what could make it harder than a marathon.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I have done the Rugged Manic which is like basically the Tough Mudder little brother....3+ miles vs 10+ miles. I have had a few friends do the Tough Mudder and have a group of friends training for one now. They have said it is harder than a marathon, mainly due to the muscle fatigue from getting through the challenges.

It is a full body obstacle course...and vastly different then simply running...strength in your arms and legs are a must, as the obsticles may leave you fatigued which can affect your running...also there may be times when running is simply not an option - when I got the last 1/2 mile of the Rugged Manic everyone was basically walking because the mud was so thick and those that choose to run = well a lot of them wiped out from the slickness of the mud.

That being said if you are used to running 1/2 or full marathons then you should have the overall endurance - but you probably definately want to work on body strength exercises as you will have to pull yourself up and over walls, (hell to even begin the race you have to somehow launch yourself over a curved wall - most people will need help from teammates or others to get themselves over), over ropes, through mud and water in addition to the stretches of running.
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LastMinuteMama

A fellow MFP competed in Tough Mudder. I am competing this next year.

^ Thanks for the shout out!!!

Here is me on The Funky Monkey... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=askr3M3L6P8

I'm wearing the red, white & blue bandana. This is taken at mile 8, as you can see, everyone is just so full of energy and ready to go, not. We're cold, tired, wet and have a few more miles to go and even more obstacles to complete.

It was an awesome experience and I will definitely do it again!!!

and here is my blow by blow of the Tough Mudder

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LastMinuteMama/view/i-am-a-tough-mudder-255653

edited to add: I haven't run a marathon before. The longest race before TM was a 10k. I would think that the training committment would be similar...if you want to do more than muddle through the Tough Mudder. It's a great challenge and you won't regret it completing it :drinker:
  • margieward82
    margieward82 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    We are doing the October one in Astuin! Anyone made a group yet? I'd love to know how people are training and preparring!
  • Ripcode
    Ripcode Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I completed the Michigan/Ohio TM in April. It was a blast!

I have not ran a marathon so I can not compare the two.
  • hikergalrm
    hikergalrm Posts: 20
    Options
    We have one coming to where I live, I think next weekend. I know someone who did it last year, she said it was hard, but such an accomplishment.
  • daisylovespink
    daisylovespink Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I did one last November, it was tough but definitly doable. Not sure if it is harder than a marathon since I've never run a marathon. I think it just depends on your "strengths" if you're a runner a marathon is probably easier, if you tend to do better with strength training the tough mudder is probably your best bet. The one I did was 12 miles and 22 obstacles, the worst part was that it was in November in Northern Indianna and it was freezing!! :grumble:
  • asilver615
    asilver615 Posts: 8
    Options
    My husband did Tough Mudder twice in Colorado.. I think Tough Mudder is more challenging and harder because you have to run 10-12 miles of Hills not a flat concrete, hills were also steep and you have to do 26 obstacles depending on the location. Obstacles like: jump up 12 foot walls, 15,000 volts of barbed wire, higher fire and swim in cold ice.

He told me that there's one girl having a hard time breathing in the pool since its freezing cold with ice. He got electrocuted with volts, but he's fine..
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I started losing weight this year to do Tough mudder in NorCal on Sept 29th. Trying to hit my goals!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    It looks insane! But so fun! I would probably die if I tried it anytime soon. My goal right now is a 5K then the Dirty Girl run, and we'll see after that :)
  • jaxandmaksmom
    jaxandmaksmom Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    hmm ten miles of hills snow cold water electritic shock and ice baths... oh and ten foot walls to climb and mud to get through....

running a marathon on a road...

i dont know..seems the same to me...

really check out the course.. i am not doing the tough mudder cause it scares me.. but i am volunteering at it.. one of the jobs is to pick people up when the collaspe and cant go on...

next year i will be doing it though and am so excited.. lol