Cereal diets?

Options
Has anyone ever tried a cereal diet? If so, what did you do?

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I dont know what a cereal diet is but I hope it includes cutting out all cereal. There are so many things better for you than cereal.
  • phillieschic
    phillieschic Posts: 615
    Options
    Hmmm...I don't know either. I eat cereal almost everyday, but I also eat lots of fruits, vegetables, fish, chicken, pasta...

I think you get the idea... :indifferent:
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Do you mean like the "Special K diet"? All that does is cut calories and makes you buy a lot of Kellog's products. Not to mention, you are seriously loading up on the carbs but no protein. It is much healthier (and cheaper) to eat real food all day in reasonable portions to keep within your calories.
  • Thatsdatdiva601
    Thatsdatdiva601 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I tried the special k diet and had get losses! I eat a bowl for breakfast and lunch and a regular meal for dinner. I repeated process for 2 weeks and lost 10#, so it works. However, I did workout 30 min each day. I walked or either JM 30DS!
  • cmayfield3
    cmayfield3 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I looooove cereal but I don't understand how anyone can just eat a tiny serving of it for breakfast and lunch... I would be gnawing off my own arm. Especially Special K which is like eating air, and a serving of it is like 3/4 cup or something.

It's just a way of restricting calories, so what I do is find things I like for the same calories that'll fill me up longer. For breakfast I love 1/2 cup of eggbeaters cooked up into an omelet, on one of those 100 calorie whole wheat thin buns with a Laughing Cow light. This all together is just under 200 calories and WAY more filling than a few spoonfuls of cereal. If you do want cereal, hot oatmeal is much more filling than Special K.
  • cctc21np
    cctc21np Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    On a reduced calorie diet I find it difficult to maintain proper levels of some vitamins and minerals and a good fortified cereal is a great way to get them. (Especially Iron) Your body need many other things - fruits, vegetables, lean meat, fish...A bowl of healthy cereal may seem like a convenient and easy way to eat healthy but if you are considering eating only cereal don't do it. Remember the old diet rule about a colorful plate and variety.
  • janey1306
    janey1306 Posts: 83
    Options
    i havent done it, but I do have a friend who did. Its only supposed to be done for 2 weeks. A bowl of cereal in the morning, another for lunch and a healthy meal for dinner. You can eat healthy snacks such as fruit in between. There is a special k website to join for more details.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I tried the special k diet and had get losses! I eat a bowl for breakfast and lunch and a regular meal for dinner. I repeated process for 2 weeks and lost 10#, so it works. However, I did workout 30 min each day. I walked or either JM 30DS!

sounds like calorie restrction with inadequate nutrients. there is nothing special about special k. it is just a method of reducing calories. if it works...well...it isnt very nutirtious and you wont be able to stay on it unless you are in prison and have no choice
  • skinnylion
    skinnylion Posts: 213
    Options
    I tried that once with Special K. It was the most idiotic thing ever, don't do it.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options

sounds like calorie restrction with inadequate nutrients. there is nothing special about special k. it is just a method of reducing calories. if it works...well...it isnt very nutirtious and you wont be able to stay on it unless you are in prison and have no choice

Exactly. I would rather eat healthy foods of my choosing rather than the fortified breakfast cereal that the Kellog's company wants me to eat. If you restrict calories, you will lose weight. The cereal marketing geniuses have worked their magic on this one though, as cereal has no great diet benefit. If anything, you will be lacking in macronutrients by eating cereal 2x/day.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you like cereal and can handle the small portions it's probably a healthy way to cut calories for a bit. Almost all cereals are fortified with nutrients so I don't think you'd be lacking in nutrition as long as you ate a well balanced dinner.

I can never eat the small serviing size of cereal. I usually like a big Jethro bowl of the stuff. And I like to add nuts and fruit to my cereal.
  • suzikay12
    suzikay12 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I did this way back when. (I wasn't as smart as I am now :wink: ) I was literally starving all the time and then binging at dinner.

3/4 cup special K + 1/2 cup skim milk= 160 calories, the amount of food this provides you is laughable. No wonder I was starving!!

Eat real food that will make you full instead. Here are some ultra easy suggestions in the same calorie range....

Packet of oatmeal=160 calories
    2 hard boiled eggs=180 calories
    1 egg, 2 pieces of sara lee light bread toasted=180 calories
    1 egg and 2 egg white omelet with veggies=160-180 calories
    2 pieces of sara lee light bread toasted and a banana=200 calories

The possibilities are endless
  • vthetigercat
    Options
    I have never done it because I think it is unhealthy, but two of my friends have.

One of my friends is a guy who got the role of Alan in Equus. He was 26 at the time, but needed the body of a 16-year-old boy, so he needed to lose a lot, plus he was fully nude on stage in a few scenes. It did work, he became very thin, but he was so emaciated, his ankles and wrists were tiny and fragile like bird legs.

My female friend did it to drop a few pounds, which also worked, but then she ended up in the hospital because of an iron overdose, and her doctor said it was from TOO MUCH CEREAL.
  • lizmaebar
    lizmaebar Posts: 97
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for your replies! Glad I asked! I've never tried one before. Thanks for all the suggestions too! Feel free to add me if you like giving your friends a kick in the butt when they need one. I've needed them badly lately!