Excercise calories - help needed

Options
Hi

I am reposting this in the general forum because I havnt had any response in the eat more weigh less forum. Can someone please advise me so Im 100% sure I have the concept right.

My BMR 1276
My TDEE 1977
My Daily Calories are set to 1562

1562 is what I should be eating and I should NOT be eating back my excercise calories which are roughly 330 a day.

Thank You whoever picks this up for me :smile:

Replies

• momma_a
    momma_a Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have always heard you should eat back your exercise calories. However, when I first started, I didn't eat back my exercise calories (and if I did, it was a small portion I ate back). Eventually, I started eating back my calories. I am sitting at 119 now, and have roughly 300 exercise calories every day to eat back. I usually eat back 200 of those and I seem to be maintaining at 119.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about the Eat More Weigh Less group, but I'm not sure how a net of 1230 would be considered "eating more".
  • SukiRob
    SukiRob Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thats what i thought but all the posts I have read say that if you use the calculators on http://www.fat2fitradio.com/ that the exercise calories are counted. i put myself down as active. i work out 5 times a week but nothing very heavy.
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    If you are doing TDEE minus the 20%, you wouldn't eat the exercise calories back because they are already factored into your activity.

If you're using MFP to calculate a deficit and setting it to lose whatever lbs/wk, then yes you would eat those calories back because they aren't factored in.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Did you try putting yourself down as sedentary to see what the difference is?
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    You are just going to get conflicting answers here since most people are going to respond to you with the MFP rules.

If you are using MFP, your calories will be very low, but you track your exercise and eat them back --- your deficit is figured in your daily already so you need to eat them back.

If you are using the fit2fat or http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ to determine I would wait for an answer from the group. I use Scooby's personally but I have only been doing it 2 weeks so I don't feel qualified to answer you.

I will say, that I chose moderate and my tdee -20% is 1700-1800 and thats what I try to eat per day.
    You dont really have to track exercise since that assumes you're doing "moderate" but I track it anyway becaue I like to see it - just dont eat it all back unless you burned an extremely high amount. I eat a little more if I burn 500+ that day.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Were did you get 1562? I ask because you should subtract 10 - 20% from your TDEE. And if your basing your calories on that, NO you should not eat back your exercise calories, because they are factored into your TDEE.
  • Jess81620
    Jess81620 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If your using the calorie counter on "Eat more weight less" it's including your exercise and spreading it through out the week so you shouldn't be eating your exercise calories. MVP isn't including your exercise when it tells you to eat 1,200 (or whatever your calorie intake is) so you should be eating your exercise calories. I actually found that the two were very similiar to each other as far as how many calories you should be eating they are just factored it a little different. I am using the MVP trackor and eating back most of my exercise calories somedays I can't eat that much but I am normally with 200 calories. I started using MVP 3 weeks ago. I have only lost a couple of lbs so far although I don't have a lot to lose. I have lost 3 inches off my waist though and an 1 inch off my hips. I also started really working out 3 weeks ago going to the gym 4 - 6 times a week. Previously I was working out about 2 times a week.

21948443.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • SukiRob
    Options
    Were did you get 1562? I ask because you should subtract 10 - 20% from your TDEE. And if your basing your calories on that, NO you should not eat back your exercise calories, because they are factored into your TDEE.

I took the figures from here http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Thank you all for the responses - very helpful :happy:
  • SukiRob
    Options

I did - thats even less!! - I want to eat!

From the responses it looks like I should have a calorie goal of 1562 as Im using TDEE-20% - Damn I was so excited that I could eat 1830 - I might have to up the workouts.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options

From the responses it looks like I should have a calorie goal of 1562 as Im using TDEE-20% - Damn I was so excited that I could eat 1830 - I might have to up the workouts.
    If you're not sedentary, don't use that! If you're using Scoobys use the correct level.
    I go to zumba 2-3x week and do strength 1-2 week -- -so I used moderate.
    My TDEE -20% ended up close to 1800 --- Im' 5/4 .
  • SukiRob
    Options

If you're not sedentary, don't use that! If you're using Scoobys use the correct level.
    I go to zumba 2-3x week and do strength 1-2 week -- -so I used moderate.
    My TDEE -20% ended up close to 1800 --- Im' 5/4 .

I have recalculated to moderate and have come up with a much more sensible number of 1850 - I work out 5 days a week losing about 360 a day (with HRM) Im just worried thats not enough exercise but im going to try upping my calories a little more and see if that works. Im really impressed with your loss so any advice you have is great.