Wanting Breakfast ideas

Options
Kathrynha77
Kathrynha77 Posts: 103 Member
Hi All
I work in an office, and set off to work really early and have breakfast at my desk when I arrive at work.
We are not allowed to eat anything "messy" at our desks, and I have been having cereal bars and a banana, but it is boring, and not really that filling.
Has anyone got any ideas?
Bowls of cereal are classed as messy cos you need cutlery, and toast would drop lots of crumbs.

Thanks

Replies

• squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I make egg muffins..

whip up scrambled eggs with some cut up veggies and/or meat, line a muffin sheet w/ (tin, not paper!) muffin cups (I also spray them w/ nonstick inside the muffin cups), bake at 350 for 10-15... easy peasy, keep in the fridge for about a week. Microwave for 30ish seconds (obviously not w/ the metal wrapper).

edit to add- I suppose you might need a fork if you are dainty :) but I just put it in a paper towel and eat it like it's a real muffin.
  • vlaura
    vlaura Posts: 93
    Options
    What about homemade breakfast sandwiches? On sundays, cook a bunch of egg, ham & cheese english muffins and bring them to work when needed.
    Would yogurt be considered messy too? That is what I eat when I have to be at work early: greek yogurt & luna bar.
  • Lisascherer1
    Lisascherer1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yikes, that is hard. I think it is hard enough coming up with filling breakfast ideas and to have 'rules" to work around would make it harder. Could you have yogurt? Eat it right out of the container it comes in with a plastic spoon. The Greek Yogurt is very high in protein and keeps me full. I am also a big fan of Luna Bars and Kind Bars, maybe eat one of those on your commute and then have a piece of fruit once you arrive to work. Can you snack on things like almonds if you get hungry before lunch? Good luck!
  • mvahle
    mvahle Posts: 4
    Options
    I also eat right when I get to work, I usually have a slimfast protein drink (very convenient) or my new favoirte...belvita Breakfast biscuits (they taste like cookies!!)
  • Dozrzz
    Dozrzz Posts: 245
    Options
    I like Lender's Whole Wheat Bagel. One bagel is about 190 calories if I remember right. I like it with a tablespoon of sugar free strawberry jam!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I second the "egg muffin" idea... I make mini-quiches in muffin tins and they are easy to nuke and eat.
    You can even eat with your fingers :) When I'm in a big hurry though, I'll just make a protein shake and bring it with me. You can add oatmeal, flax seed, fruit etc... so you got a breakfast you drink. Tons of recipes for breakfast smoothies or oatmeal smoothies or egg muffins --- google or pinterest!
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    English muffin with egg/cheese ?

I used to make REALLY thick oatmeal with berries and nuts mixed in, the previous night and let it sit in the fridge and cut it into bars to take with me to work.

Weird idea.... i would get refrigerated pastry sheets and make my own pizza pockets with different fillings. Bake them and take to work and microwave .
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I buy whole wheat tortillas, make scrambled eggs, add a little sausage and some shreded cheese and salsa, roll it up and I have a breakfast burrito. Its not messy because everything is rolled up in the tortilla.
  • viannee
    viannee Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I second the breakfast burrito idea. I have been making it myself for when I'm out and can't go home for lunch (I work at home).
    My recipe is sort of a shawarma burrito hybrid containing shredded cabbage, sliced tomato, beef, picante sauce, cream cheese (thinly spread over half of one side or the tortilla), and maybe some japanese mayonnaise if i have it.
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I was going to say Breakfast Burritos too. I also make those mini-quiches or egg muffins. I do those for my husband when I'm going to be out of town or he has to go out of town. So easy to microwave and eat. If you can't use cutlery, then make them in mini-muffin tins so they are bite size. The way I make them is to chop up veggies, ham, turkey sausage, etc. I put them in the tins and then pour some egg beaters in until 3/4 full. You can come up with many different combos to give you variety. Jimmy Dean now makes sausage crumbles and a little of the turkey sausage goes a long way as far as flavor.

I have seen recipes to make your own granola or breakfast bars. That way you can control what's in them.

V8 juice, a hard boiled egg, I guess yogurt is too messy..... no place you can go eat on your break? How about a stairwell? Sounds silly but carry a thing of yogurt with a plastic spoon with you, go down a few flights of stairs... eat... walk back up. I use to do that for going to the bathroom... two flights down, use that bathroom and two flights up.

It's hard when work is picky. I use to make an omelet the night before and microwave it at work. I was one of those people who slept as late as possible so I was never hungry until I got to work. I gained weight because I grabbed a breakfast on the way in to eat at my desk and rarely was it a healthy choice.

Good luck!
  • mbk830
    mbk830 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Cheese and crackers has become my new breakfast. I eat it in the car on the way to work.
  • becman1
    becman1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Vanilla yogurt, add real frozen fruit and granola, breakfast wrap with turkey bacon(microwave it) cheese-low fat. Put wrap in microwave just to warm it. Can put jelly or mayo lite on. Egg to, fried so it won't be messy. Cheese toast. One piece folded in a paper towel not messy. Boarshead sliced sandwiche meat in a wrap. Lego waffles with no syrup. Glad you are on Fitness Pal. Keep in touch! Good Luck, I love it! Becki
  • Kathrynha77
    Kathrynha77 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    I like the egg muffins and breakfast burritos idea. Also think the thick oatmeal cut into bars sounds good.
    Couldn't get away with yogurt, as it uses a spoon.
    Also might try bagel, cos they aren't as crumby as regular bread.