Low Fat Baked Crab Rangoon Recipe

Options
sitstaygimmeeakiss
sitstaygimmeeakiss Posts: 130 Member
I did a slight variation on a recipe on one of my favorite blogs, Viet World Kitchen. It's Baked Deviled Crab Rangoon - I substituted Philadelphia nonfat cream cheese (I never recommend specific brands, but I've tried so many non fat cream cheese that tasted more like plastic, that I stick to this one now) and I used finely chopped onions instead of scallions (cuz that's what I had in the fridge).

http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2011/12/deviled-sriracha-crab-rangoon-recipe.html

I've also used this idea with all kinds of fillings - a favorite of mine is cabbage, carrot, onion, all sliced thin & cooked stovetop just a bit (still crunchy) and mixed with seasonings that I like, to taste. Since the baking time in the oven is brief, I want to cook it a bit before I fill the wonton wrappers, but not so much to make it mushy.

I also discovered that the wrappers don't need any oil to prevent sticking - a big plus for those of us trying to lose weight. So I skip that step.

Using the mini cup cake holders (never used them for cupcakes but now I'm glad I have them), no oil & the fat free cream cheese, the MFP computations tell me that each baked rangoon is only 40 calories. You can substitute any hot sauce if you can't get sriracha - and (always a good suggestion) taste the mixture to see if you want to adjust any of the seasonings.

Edit: Almost forgot - I also added about a teaspoon of Splenda to the mixture - I felt it needed it when I tasted the mixture, before baking, of course.

Replies

• Cntrygal81
    Cntrygal81 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I love crab rangoon - Thanks for sharing!
  • ScullyKel
    ScullyKel Posts: 69
    Options
    A reply so I can save for later! Thanks so much for posting
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Crab rangoon is a favorite. Thanks for sharing!
  • Kris0109
    Kris0109 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    bump because I JUST CAN'T QUIT CRAB RANGOON
  • ezledistracted
    Options
    bump
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    This looks delicious!! I can't wait to try it!
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    yummmmm you are my new favorite person! Thanks!
  • MissesJai
    MissesJai Posts: 48
    Options
    suonds yum! gonna have try. Thanks for sharing!
  • sitstaygimmeeakiss
    sitstaygimmeeakiss Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Well, I tried to edit it to do a direct link, but I can't get it to work. No matter - guess everyone knows how to copy & paste! :laugh:

I'm the same w/crab rangoon! I stopped to think about why I'm so addicted to Americanized Chinese appetizers when I really, really love authentic Asian foods - it's really comfort food for me, going back to my pregnancies (a zillion yrs ago). When I analyzed it, I realized that my top fav if crab rangoon - so this having this recipe is terrific.

Now if I can figure out the filling for egg rolls - the kind we get here in the Boston area (never realized it was regional until I lived in AZ for a couple of years). I know it's mostly cabbage & a little pork, but I haven't tried it yet.

Oh - I forgot! I also added a bit of Splenda, since I thought it needed it. That's where the tasting comes in - I'd say for the large recipe I did, I threw in about a teaspoon. (I tried to measure everything, but that's really a struggle for my style of cooking).
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Bump!!!
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 36,391 Member
    Options
    Nice I will have try!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    thanks!

i miss crab rangoons!
  • beaner1st
    beaner1st Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Mmm thanks for sharing!
  • izaaksmommy
    izaaksmommy Posts: 15
    Options
    Sounds good!!
  • kristyjoy16
    kristyjoy16 Posts: 24
    Options
    OMG I love crab rangoon. Will have to try this.
  • DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I'll have to try this :)
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    OMG, LOVE Crab Rangoon. Thank you!! :flowerforyou:
  • lindseyolson1986
    Options
    Oh how I have been craving these, thanks for sharing!!!