Screw you scale

Options
Just wanted to add some motivation to those of you who struggle with what the darn scale says...
here is my advise >>>>>>> Screw the scale which cost you roughly $30.00 or more and pisses you off on a daily basis and buy a tape measure from the sewing department at wal mart , michael's or even the dollar tree and buy you a little log book or Journal and start taking measurements!!!
I promise you, you will see the bigger picture this way. It has saved me so many times from just saying "screw it" to the whole weight loss thing.. which is actually a lifestyle change for me now. I will never let myself become out of control of "me" again... Have a great Monday :)

Replies

• lexis527
    lexis527 Posts: 1
    Options
    I agree totally about that darn scale. I swear I really do not know how much I weigh because of its fickleness!. I bought the sewing measuring tape, however can you describe the correct way to take measurements? Thanks!
  • ShannanLaNae
    ShannanLaNae Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Thank u!!! I needed this!!!
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    That is fine for someone under say, 200 lbs. If someone is over 300 lbs. the scale can be a better measure of what you are doing. Just my 2 cents.

Also...It's not the scales fault. LOL
  • shel1103
    shel1103 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Can't tell you how upsetting it is to see that number not changing. It puts me in the worst mood in the morning.
  • tbirdfan190
    Options
    Yeah, I know. I started jogging yesterday and really pushed myself and ate good...and I WAS UP A POUND!!!
  • rachaela06
    rachaela06 Posts: 167
    Options
    Amen!!! I get on a scale maybe once every six months. I use my tape measure one a week, it definitely tell me what I need to know.
  • Helenasnan
    Helenasnan Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I had to giggle when I read this! Those damn little scales can make your day or break it! I dont weigh in very often, just enough to keep myself on track...for many many many years, we didnt have scales at this house..can lead to very bad things....
  • Zee48
    Zee48 Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    The scale is, & should only be, a barometer not a definite. Look up the article "Why The Scales Lie" and read it. So many times we lose inches not pounds but we get hung up on the number on the scale. Look at yourself in the mirror, take those measurements and keep them right along with your scale numbers - it is an awesome tool. How are your clothes fitting? That is the real story teller.
  • desert_rhino
    desert_rhino Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I know. I started jogging yesterday and really pushed myself and ate good...and I WAS UP A POUND!!!

Read: (I went up three-four pounds when I added runs to my treadmill time...)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/595473-why-the-scale-goes-up-with-a-new-workout-program-must-read
  • stormdancer
    stormdancer Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    how to measure? Well I got a clipboard and I got husband to help me make a sheet on the Excell spreadsheets...blank but lines to make a grid, with
    titles across the top: DATE, neck, left arm, bust, waist, hips, and right calf.

Consistency is the key. Always the same leg/arm, always the same amount of squeeze. With my arm I have lots of fat that swings, and sure I could make the tape measure as tight as it would go, and that would be ok as long as I was consistent in measuring that way. I don't do it that way, I measure just to where the tape barely indents the fat, every time.

I have noticed it makes a large difference whether you measure while standing vs. sitting. Even my neck
    measurement measures differently when I am standing than when I am sitting. I guess the fat bulges more
    when sitting. So I measure it all while standing. Oh and naked, I do all my measurements naked, too.
    Clothing differs in bulkiness so of course, measure without clothes for accuracy.

And my calves, I stand next to the tub, place my right foot on the tub edge, and see, there is an actual *line* under your calf, I measure right on that line every time. Been doing that for over a decade now...and it wasn't til I got confused two months ago and at first measured the wrong calf to discover !!!! my left calf measures a full inch smaller than my right, for some odd reason. (bodies are weird).

And actually, I have a bubble-butt, its like two basketballs back there, but I haven't been measuring my hips at all because my belly-fat hangs so low I can't get an accurate hip measurement without asking hubby to hold my belly out of the way and I am NOT gonna do that to the poor man. :)

Hope that helps. :)
  • Mirror_Mirror
    Options
    MFP has a place for you to track your measurements so that is nice. I hop on the scale once a week but take measurements the same day as my weigh in day that way I have a better overall idea. Though I won' t lie I've fantasized about taking a sledge hammer to the mean LYING scale... (I swear it lies... )

Also gauge your "weight" but how you feel. This is about being healthy after all. Not just about a number on a scale.
  • dlpnrn2b
    dlpnrn2b Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I agree totally about that darn scale. I swear I really do not know how much I weigh because of its fickleness!. I bought the sewing measuring tape, however can you describe the correct way to take measurements? Thanks!

may seem a bit much but here is what I measure

neck...chest...high waist (1 inch above naval) , waist at the naval, hips, butt , left thigh, knee, calf, ankle, upper arm and wrist..same with my right side. I am left handed and a trainer suggested to measure both sides individually due to one side is stronger then the other and my left is slightly larger. also I do not measure so snug I am overlapping the fat, otherwise I am fooling myself and I measure the largest part when it comes to hips and below. Hope this helps.
  • Pakitalian
    Pakitalian Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I also have trouble being consistent with measurements. But I know I haven't lost any inches. Its so frustrating to work so hard and not see any improvements at all. I just always measure the widest part of everything. The widest part of my belly, hips, etc. Hopefully will see some change soon. Good to hear I am not alone :(
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Another thing keep in mind...not all fat loss comes from your bust, waist, hips and thighs. Watch for things like chins disappearing, ribs showing more under your breasts, less back rolls over your bra strap, looseness in your pants around your groin area, shoes suddenly feeling looser/slipping off easier, cheekbones appearing, watches and rings slipping around, and less of a crease between your thigh and buttcheeks. These are areas where fat does accumulate and is not likely to be measured with a tape measure or necessarily show up on a scale.
  • cwatson1214
    cwatson1214 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Can't tell you how upsetting it is to see that number not changing. It puts me in the worst mood in the morning.

THAT IS EXACTLY HOW I AM FEELING RIGHT NOW. ESPECIALLY SINCE I WAS A BAD GIRL YESTERDAY AND WENT OVER, NOT BY ALOT BUT ALOT IN MY SODIUM. NOW I FEEL REALLY BLOTTED.

AND YES I AM SHOUTING....BUT AT MYSELF
  • FoodieGal09
    FoodieGal09 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Amen.
    I paid €30 for an electronic scale and 30 cent for a tape measure. SMH.