Cycling to your limit

Options
Today I rode 45 miles(35 was my previous max), at about 40 the bottom fell out. I bonked, and both my legs started to spasm
/cramp. I think I finally hit my limit and survived. Problem is I need help with ideas to push through my limit / prevent leg cramps and as, I want to ride the 62.5mile Tour de Cure next month. Until today I felt the 40mile course would be "easy" and want to do more, but now scared I may not be able to do it.

Ideas? I do cardo on the bike and TM(c25k program right now). I am thinking of trying to add some interval training and such. Also I want to do at least another 45 or longer ride before the Tour.

Replies

• jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Just keep riding and doing the things you mentioned. During the Tour, there will be rest stops and that makes a world of difference. Also, riding with a group is much more motivating (and somehow less tiring) than riding alone. Interval work is good and should help with strength which should help with cramps. Also, hydrate like crazy. I drink a TON the night before and morning of a long ride, then of course drink during the ride. But I find that it's the pre-hydration that really helps my endurance. Once you're on the bike, you're already behind. There are multiple supplements out there for cramps... not sure if any of them work though. Hope that helps! Good luck! I'm sure you can do it!

Jen
  • jenna715
    jenna715 Posts: 201
    Options
    I'm not much of a cyclist, the farthest I've gone at once was 26 miles. I can only imagine that doing more long rides will get you further, as with most exercises. Also, make sure you stay very well hydrated and fueled. Good job and good luck! 40 miles is far!
  • beyg
    beyg Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    The biggest culprit for cramps is not under training is dehydration. I have also found out that, slowing down and going into a cooling mode prevents cramps after the ride. Spin for the first few miles (2 or 3), and then go at your pace. For training I feel the best is to do intervals 1 minute fast 2 minute recovery. Similar to the Carmichael system but not as serious!!
    Finally if you do 30 you can do 50 or more it depends on you rear end tolerance!! Hope this is helpful :)

One more thing to avoid cramps is the saddle adjustment????
  • beyg
    beyg Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    The biggest culprit for cramps is not under training is dehydration. I have also found out that, slowing down and going into a cooling mode prevents cramps after the ride. Spin for the first few miles (2 or 3), and then go at your pace. For training I feel the best is to do intervals 1 minute fast 2 minute recovery. Similar to the Carmichael system but not as serious!!
    Finally if you do 30 you can do 50 or more it depends on you rear end tolerance!! Hope this is helpful :)

One more thing to avoid cramps is the saddle adjustment????

drink every 15 sip some or more if possible.
  • rolyh
    rolyh Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Well done - the other posts look right to me. I would add - after a couple of days recovery, you will find you have just shifted your wall further out by virtue of your efforts. As your cycling gets up, you will need to get the habit of eating during the ride, if you have not already.
  • naprestsleep
    naprestsleep Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, many of your tips I do or try, and will make sure I pay better attention.
  • naprestsleep
    naprestsleep Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    67.5 Miles DONE.....

Yes I think dehydration and lack of food were the culprits last time. This time I had a buffet of food as I rode and was never hungry and had some energy. As for water its was 80+ so i had 5 liters on me, and ran out. In the time it took to find a place for more I could feel the repercussions and I got spasms shortly thereafter. Once I took a break and rehydrate I was "fine".
  • rolyh
    rolyh Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Nicely done
  • Dahamac
    Dahamac Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the Metric!

Training is crucial for longer rides and that means to me two things.
    1. Several Training Rides nearly half as long as the planned ride, so for a Century I like to do two or three 50 milers in the month before the ride.
    2. On short training rides practice "blowing up" and recovering. I'll go out and push my legs until they say quit. Then I slow down for a few minutes and slowly bring the pace back up until I "blow-up" again and then repeat the recovery stage.

Hydration is critical and like the others have said this mean pre-hydration. You cannot start a bicycle ride nearly dehydrated and get enough fluid in your system during the ride.

Nutrition is essential before, during, and after the ride. Make sure that you don't skimp on the carbs before the ride (don't go overboard but don't do low carb either unless you really know what you are doing). My favorite pre-ride meal is pizza because I know my stomach will empty. You need a good balance of carbs (glycogen during the ride) and for the longer rides you actually need some protein but that is for rides generally over 100 miles. After the ride you will need protein, lutein, l-glutamine, and some good carbs.

BTW, I completed my first 200K this Saturday (124.5 miles). Even though I had water bottles I almost dehydrated because I did the last 52 mile stretch without stopping. My mind starting playing tricks on me around mile 95 and 110 because my nutrients were getting low but I had food with me. When I finished the ride I immediately consumed 1 protein shake that I had prepared and in a cooler, 1 PBJ sandwich, pretezels, animal crackers, and 120 ounces of water within 30 minutes of finishing the ride.