you look great keep up the great work
  • steflbrown
    steflbrown Posts: 168
    Options
    great job!!!! keep up the great work!!! :flowerforyou:
  • WhyeatKachra
    WhyeatKachra Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    73lbs in 5 months? How the heck did you do that?!

My question exactly!!!

Amazing loss.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Perfectdiamonds1
    Perfectdiamonds1 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    wow dont you look great
  • Lotte34
    Lotte34 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    you look like a completely different man hunny, well done!!!!
  • Dwamma
    Dwamma Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Way to Rock the weight off! You look amazing! :flowerforyou: congrats!!:wink:
  • steelersfamily6
    steelersfamily6 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the kind words, encouragement, motivation, and friend requests! Many people have asked how the weight came off so quickly.

The first month or so, I was still very new at all of this and was in "diet mode" as opposed to "health mode", so I was doing a lot of the normal bad things that people who are desperate to lose weight do. I would skip a meal here and there, eat less than I should have, and wasn't listening to my body when it was asking for more. However, I was also not eating the junk I had grown so accustomed to over the years: I stopped eating greasy fast food. I stopped shoving food into my face until I was so full that I wanted to vomit. I gave up fried foods. I stopped making excuses to eat and eating two lunches and two dinners just because I had time between meals.

I noticed a lot of initial weight started to come off during this time. I lost the most during that first month: 22lbs.

Since then, I have been doing a lot of reading on MFP and have been learning the correct way to get healthy. I know I still practice some things that many people think are bad (e.g. I don't always eat back my exercise calories), but overall it's working for me right now.

So, what do I do? Let me see...

I keep two numbers in my head each and every day: My Basal Metabolic Rate and my calorie goal for the day. Those are my two most important numbers on a daily basis. What I have come to realize is the most basic of things: Take in less than you put out and you can't gain weight. When I started, my BMR was 2113 and I had myself on 1400 calories a day. It was tough switching from my usual lifestyle but I struggled through it and made it work. At that rate, I was at a calorie deficit of about 700 a day, meaning one pound gone every 5 days or so, and an average of 1.5 a week.

I felt like I wanted to take on a bit more so after a couple weeks I dropped my calories to 1300 and never looked back. I always made (and still do) sure I never went over my 1300, so each day I was at a deficit of 800, or an average of one pound every 4 days for an average of about 2lbs a week (give or take). Right now, my BMR is 1910 and I still keep my calorie intake at or under 1300. The loss will (and has) slowed a bit but I know as long as I keep my numbers straight, I won't gain.

I didn't start exercising until I was down about 40lbs. I went out and bought an elliptical machine and some resistance bands. I don't go crazy with planned exercise. I use the elliptical 2-3 days a week for 20mins a session and workout with the bands 2-3 days a week for 30 mins. I also went out and got a Fitbit device which keeps track of my steps, stairs, activity level and daily calorie burn from unplanned exercise (normal daily activity). My two important numbers plus my fitbit and the little exercise I do seem to be working.

I also take into consideration the unplanned exercise that I do. Mowing the lawn / raking for an hour, the 7000+ steps and 20+ stairwells that I walk every day at work, or the walking during an average weekend of shopping (do you know how much you actually walk at a grocery store or the mall? It's astounding.). As for my exercise calories, sometimes I eat them back, sometimes I eat some of them back, and other times I don't. It all depends on how full I feel. I have gotten used to not feeling so full and bloated like I used to feel, so if I am full and still need to eat back 300 exercise calories, I let them slide. I know some people frown upon that and sometimes I feel guilty not eating them back, but I also don't want to feel over full. If I don't eat back a hundred here and there, that adds to the deficit for the week and maybe an extra half pound (which I'm not going to throw back).

I know a lot of people say to not give up the foods you love and to just eat them in moderation. Unfortunately for me, the foods that I had loved so much and ate on a daily basis were crap and I for one am happy to have gotten rid of them. Fast food (McD, BK, Wendy's), all you can eat buffets (the Chinese Buffet is my cryptonite), tons of starchy foods, pizza 2-3 times a week ... all gone. And I don't miss them (mostly .. pizza is my 2nd love after my wife :wink: ).

I have learned to cook healthily at home. I use fresh ingredients and can control my portions. I know what goes in my body every single day. My wife and I are always on the lookout for fresh recipes and for the most part, the things we have made taste amazing. I realized I don't need fried foods to be happy. Baked, broiled, grilled all work for me and taste great. As for my beloved pizza, a FlatOut flatbread, some pizza sauce, turkey pepperoni, onion, peppers, fat-free mozzarella, and an oven makes me happy. And a personal pizza for under 300 calories makes it even better. Grilled chicken, baked fish, low-carb pasta ... the possibilities are endless. I don't even WANT fast food anymore. The thought if it turns me off.

I also don't buy into "cheat days". Do it or don't. Set your mind to it and get it done. I compare my weight loss journey to someone who wants to stop smoking. You can do it one of two ways: Get on the patch and ease yourself off of it over 6 months, cheating now and again or you can gather up your smokes, toss them in the trash, and make it happen.

I tossed my smokes in the trash.

You look amazing first of all! And who cares what people think about how you do it. You are doing what works for you & they are doing what works for them. Everyone is different and non of us should be here to judge. I am so happy for you and I can tell just by the way you talk that you are a changed person, not only on the outside but the inside. You are an amazing inspiration to so many, keep it up and you will be at your goal before you know it! :)
  • jartis0001
    jartis0001 Posts: 15
    Options
    Wow:tongue: you look great, fantastic, terrific, losing that much weight in that amount of time makes you Magnificent, powerful, inspirational, a great guy lol:happy: good job, i feel good now about my 35lbs I want to lose by September
  • THEErikaR
    THEErikaR Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    You look fabulous!!!! Thank you for your comment about "cheat days" thats something I'm dealing with right now, and you hit the nail on the head!! I need to JUST DO IT!!

Thank you, you inspired me to try harder :)
  • africaa
    africaa Posts: 228
    Options
    You look amazing :) Great job!
  • jmwilliams10
    Options
    Good job... how did you do it???
  • gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the kind words, encouragement, motivation, and friend requests! Many people have asked how the weight came off so quickly.

The first month or so, I was still very new at all of this and was in "diet mode" as opposed to "health mode", so I was doing a lot of the normal bad things that people who are desperate to lose weight do. I would skip a meal here and there, eat less than I should have, and wasn't listening to my body when it was asking for more. However, I was also not eating the junk I had grown so accustomed to over the years: I stopped eating greasy fast food. I stopped shoving food into my face until I was so full that I wanted to vomit. I gave up fried foods. I stopped making excuses to eat and eating two lunches and two dinners just because I had time between meals.

I noticed a lot of initial weight started to come off during this time. I lost the most during that first month: 22lbs.

Since then, I have been doing a lot of reading on MFP and have been learning the correct way to get healthy. I know I still practice some things that many people think are bad (e.g. I don't always eat back my exercise calories), but overall it's working for me right now.

So, what do I do? Let me see...

I keep two numbers in my head each and every day: My Basal Metabolic Rate and my calorie goal for the day. Those are my two most important numbers on a daily basis. What I have come to realize is the most basic of things: Take in less than you put out and you can't gain weight. When I started, my BMR was 2113 and I had myself on 1400 calories a day. It was tough switching from my usual lifestyle but I struggled through it and made it work. At that rate, I was at a calorie deficit of about 700 a day, meaning one pound gone every 5 days or so, and an average of 1.5 a week.

I felt like I wanted to take on a bit more so after a couple weeks I dropped my calories to 1300 and never looked back. I always made (and still do) sure I never went over my 1300, so each day I was at a deficit of 800, or an average of one pound every 4 days for an average of about 2lbs a week (give or take). Right now, my BMR is 1910 and I still keep my calorie intake at or under 1300. The loss will (and has) slowed a bit but I know as long as I keep my numbers straight, I won't gain.

I didn't start exercising until I was down about 40lbs. I went out and bought an elliptical machine and some resistance bands. I don't go crazy with planned exercise. I use the elliptical 2-3 days a week for 20mins a session and workout with the bands 2-3 days a week for 30 mins. I also went out and got a Fitbit device which keeps track of my steps, stairs, activity level and daily calorie burn from unplanned exercise (normal daily activity). My two important numbers plus my fitbit and the little exercise I do seem to be working.

I also take into consideration the unplanned exercise that I do. Mowing the lawn / raking for an hour, the 7000+ steps and 20+ stairwells that I walk every day at work, or the walking during an average weekend of shopping (do you know how much you actually walk at a grocery store or the mall? It's astounding.). As for my exercise calories, sometimes I eat them back, sometimes I eat some of them back, and other times I don't. It all depends on how full I feel. I have gotten used to not feeling so full and bloated like I used to feel, so if I am full and still need to eat back 300 exercise calories, I let them slide. I know some people frown upon that and sometimes I feel guilty not eating them back, but I also don't want to feel over full. If I don't eat back a hundred here and there, that adds to the deficit for the week and maybe an extra half pound (which I'm not going to throw back).

I know a lot of people say to not give up the foods you love and to just eat them in moderation. Unfortunately for me, the foods that I had loved so much and ate on a daily basis were crap and I for one am happy to have gotten rid of them. Fast food (McD, BK, Wendy's), all you can eat buffets (the Chinese Buffet is my cryptonite), tons of starchy foods, pizza 2-3 times a week ... all gone. And I don't miss them (mostly .. pizza is my 2nd love after my wife :wink: ).

I have learned to cook healthily at home. I use fresh ingredients and can control my portions. I know what goes in my body every single day. My wife and I are always on the lookout for fresh recipes and for the most part, the things we have made taste amazing. I realized I don't need fried foods to be happy. Baked, broiled, grilled all work for me and taste great. As for my beloved pizza, a FlatOut flatbread, some pizza sauce, turkey pepperoni, onion, peppers, fat-free mozzarella, and an oven makes me happy. And a personal pizza for under 300 calories makes it even better. Grilled chicken, baked fish, low-carb pasta ... the possibilities are endless. I don't even WANT fast food anymore. The thought if it turns me off.

I also don't buy into "cheat days". Do it or don't. Set your mind to it and get it done. I compare my weight loss journey to someone who wants to stop smoking. You can do it one of two ways: Get on the patch and ease yourself off of it over 6 months, cheating now and again or you can gather up your smokes, toss them in the trash, and make it happen.

I tossed my smokes in the trash.

Nice work - whatever works for you! You've shown a tremendous amount of will power to make the changes and should be proud of yourself. Now it's time to find what you are comfortable with moving forward and maintain the healthly lifestyle - you can open it up and monitor some other things like sodium intake, etc... You're a great success story! Congratulations!
  • ponyfan81
    ponyfan81 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Our stories are amazingly similar, right down to when we started and our approximate starting weight (I was 6'1", 270 in January 2012).

I did the same thing as you - started at 1,200-1,400 calories per day and dropped a ton of weight at first. After about 30-40 lbs, though, I plateaued for a few weeks and didn't lose again until I ate more and "restarted" my metabolism. 70+ lbs in 4 months is amazingly good, but just be aware that at such a low intake you may be slowing your metabolism quite significantly and maintenance might be more difficult as a result.

You've done a great job to this point, but don't mash the pedal down too long and burn out the engine. Start thinking about maintenance before you get there so that you don't get back to where you were ever again.

I am currently at 223 after starting at 270 on Jan 9, but I have also increased my bench press 10 lb since then and I can run a 5k in less than 30 min (after not even being able to run 1/2 mile before). I'm curious, have you been able to maintain your strength with such a low intake?

Good luck with the rest of your loss. I know it's gotten to a point with me where it's not even difficult anymore; it's just a way of life. In the end, I think that's what we are all looking for.
  • jdsmom0104
    jdsmom0104 Posts: 236
    Options
    lookin great! wtg
  • Jori33
    Jori33 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! I bet you feel great too! :)
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    dude it looks like the 1st pic is your dad! :noway: and that is true! :drinker:

well done honey keep it up x
  • TriedEverything
    TriedEverything Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Thanks for talking us through how you lost the weight - you sound very focused and determined, and you certainly deserve the fantastic results you've got! :smile:
  • PrettyMindy14
    PrettyMindy14 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!! We're pretty much in the same boat lol Congrats, that is great work!! Keep it up!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!