Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Back pain after deadlifts

tolygal
tolygal Posts: 602 Member
Hi all, I've been lifting for over a year now so deadlifts are not new to me. However, I'm struggling with adding weight to them. Every time I try, I get back pain (used to be lower back pain, but I think I figured that one out and don’t have that problem anymore). I haven't tried to increase my deadlift weight for some time and I've had absolutely no back pain (even the normal stuff I used to have – yay!!). So I thought I’d give it a shot. Almost 2 weeks ago, I added 10 pounds when doing a Romanian dl (I meant to grab the 2.5# plates and I added a 5# weight on each side instead...stupid mistake). Well, since then I've been experiencing a lot of pain in my back. I'm pretty sure it's not my spine. It runs across my back (not up and down) - mostly on the left side, but some on the right. It's just below the center of my back (not my lower back). It hurts when I twist or bend and even just sitting here it aches. It sometimes hurts to walk (especially the first week). And at times when I do something, I get a really sharp instant pain that will make it hurt worse than it did before that. So now I'm sitting here taking it easy waiting for it go away...(which sucks). It is getting a little better very very very slowly…. so I hope it will go away (just wish it went away faster).

I don't really know what the heck I did wrong - I try to have very good form, keeping an arch in my back, chest up, shoulders pulled back during the movement, etc. I've read a lot and watch a lot of videos to learn form, but I've never actually had the opportunity to have anyone watch me. I go to the gym in the early morning, and the one trainer who is available is usually busy training someone or leading a class. There is only one other woman I see in that area, but I’ve never seen her do a squat or a deadlift. I've never even seen a man doing squats or deadlifts and frankly, most of them seem more annoyed to see me in "their space" than friendly and approachable (although I think most are getting used to me). I know someone at the gym does squats at least because many times I have to unload their four 45-pound plates before I can do my workout (grrrrr - but that's another topic) – but they are there at night, not in the morning – so I’m kind of out of luck.

Anyway, I haven't gone to a chiropractor or for a massage or a doctor yet because frankly, I'm afraid of them bending or twisting me (especially the chiro). I'm not looking for medical advice on mfp. I'm only wondering if anyone has experienced this before and perhaps what I could be doing wrong in my lifts that would cause this to happen. I know that’s tough without a video or something, but I don’t have a smart phone to record myself and post it. But any general advice would be great!!

Replies

• tolygal
    Thoughts anyone?
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Post a video of your form. One where we can see the curvature of your spine, and the bar in relation to your legs.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Deload and strengthen up.
    This shoukd fix your form issue.
    what's your weakest link in your core?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Can you suck it up and buy a trainer session so they could take a look and see what's going on?

That may be your only option if you can't post video here.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    I wonder if most personal trainers (outside of power lifting gyms) even know how to do a proper form deadlift.
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Deadlifts are tricky - I love them but I always try to do them with a spotter, just in case. Are you perhaps allowing your shoulders to roll forward a bit? I know you try to keep great form but I've found it's so easy to let the shoulders slump down just a bit, even while keep the back firm. This could cause stress on the rest of your back and may contribute to the pain you're feeling. You know better than we do, though! Good luck and I really hope you feel better!!
  • ChristyU74
    ChristyU74 Posts: 234 Member
    I've been dealing with lower back pain after deadlifts. So, I'm more replying to see what others say. I have been lowering my weight on them, and trying to work on good form. I also do a lot of stretching before and after I deadlift, in the hopes that it won't tighten up so much. Does anyone use a weight belt with dl's? Will that help?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    I wonder if most personal trainers (outside of power lifting gyms) even know how to do a proper form deadlift.

I got my trainer teaching me all the barbell lifts, and so far so good.. and my gym is not a powerlifting gym... it's one of those 24/7 run of the mill gyms.

My trainer does barbell lifting himself... and has been in the business for 5 yrs, plus 3 or 4 certifications. I would hope that by this point, he knows what he's doing.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    It could be even though you think your form is good it isn't - I say this because I lift and when I think my form is good my trainer usually tells me otherwise...especially with deadlifts, I think my shoulder are pulled back, get in postion and go to lift and my trainer tells me I am arching my back as I am coming up - so I am good until I start to lift and I start to round my back - even though I think I have my shoulders pinched back...he has taken video of me so I can see what it is I am doing wrong, and sure enough I start strong and I get it up to my knees and my shoulders start going forward and then straighten back out.

If you can find a lifting trainer that might be best. I know my trainer harps on form over lift - so many a times I have spent sets doing the same weight to work on my form, as he would rather I lift 10-15 lbs less with perfecf form then add weight and have my form go off kilter.

My PR in deadlift is 168...but most times I max out my reps at about 10-15 lbs less than that because I would rather have better form and lift less so overall it is working my body properly....
  • Newtylee
    Newtylee Posts: 7
    I learned technique from the Stronglifts 5x5 program and I think the easiest and best video that helped me with technique was Mark Rippetoe's deadlift set-up video. Take a look at the video while you are recuperating to check your form.
  • tolygal
    Thanks everyone. It's true that my form could be wrong no matter how hard I try to keep it right. I'll ask one of the trainers at the gym to see if they know anything about form on deadlifts, and if so I'll do what's needed to get them to help (even if it means buying a session). I've never seen any one of them so much as touch a barbell, but I'm not there all day watching them, so it's possible I suppose. I do sometimes go to a different gym, and one (only one) of the trainers there seem to be more on top of things. Maybe I'll find time to get over there once this pain is gone.

I did drop weight already and focus on form. Since then, I haven't had any back pain. I mean zilch. Even the lower back pain that I used to have quiet often was gone. That's why I thought it would be okay to add weight now. Unfortunatly, I added 10 lbs instead of 5. Maybe that was my only problem??

I'll go check out Mark Rippetoe's videos - I assume I can just search for them and find them?

Thanks again!
  • Newtylee
    Newtylee Posts: 7
    Tonya, did you find the video(s)? The set-up video was so easy to follow. I can't remember it exactly, but the important points always stay with me, like bar over the middle of your feet so it is very close to your shins and later you bend your knees to touch your shins on the bar, and ride the bar up your shins along your legs. Some people even scrap their shins until they bleed, but I think this is extreme. Hoping your back improves!
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    I don't have pain, but my back was starting to get repetitively stiff the days after my deads, so I de-loaded to concentrate on my form and feel so much better now! I just dropped it ten pounds. You may just need to slow down your increases like moi! I think I just got a little excited! Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    back pain on DLs is from rounding your back when you lift and you are not using your legs properly. Are there mirrors in your gym? Just asked the one lady to video tape you on your phone doing what lift -- shouldn't be a big deal.

Also - I would start wearing a belt if you are going to increase your weight.
    When I increased mine I started rounding and had pain so I went back down a bit until i built up to it. It's easy to lose form on the DL and not know it.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    If you are too far away from the bar, you will put a lot of stress on your back. The bar should be directly over the middle of your feet. The actual motion is really nothing more than using your legs to straighten your spine - It is a very small amount of motion that is actually performed.

I do hope you will ask a trainer to help with your form! Lifting in front of a mirror is essential too.
  • Gemmageldmacher
    Gemmageldmacher Posts: 45 Member
    Sounds like you've got a good going forward plan, I would also make sure that your problem is fixed before you try something new! I have always had great experience with good massage therapists in helping back pain. I would definitely try that before the chiropracter!!
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Rippetoe videos are easily searchable on Youtube. My only suggestion is that you are holding the bar too far from your legs, but I'm really not certain.
  • guava6982
    guava6982 Posts: 26 Member
    If you are using small plates (no bumper plates and smaller than 45s), the bar is probably too low to the ground, causing you to bend too far over to grab it. Try raising it up a few inches on step risers or stacked plates and see if that helps. You want it to be the same distance from the ground as it would be if 45lb plates were on it.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Just posted this as a group topic but maybe might give you insight as to if your form is off...

http://www.crossfit.com/journal/library/51-2006_AnalysisofDeadlift.pdf

It's a detailed breakdown of the mechanics of the deadlift movement. You actually mentioned RDLs which is way different, but it seemed like you were talking about both exercises so still may be of some interest...

Oh, and it's by Mark Rippetoe, who I think probably has a firm grasp on what he is talking about:

deadLift-380.jpg
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    arching your back?