stay at home moms. how do you do it?

Options
i'm a stay at home mommy of one, and i really think that may be a major downfall to my weight loss. i get caught up in the daily routine, wake up, pack the hubbys lunch and send him to work, feed the kiddo, clean the kitchen (and the rest of the house) ... and theres food around me all day, every day. i find myself getting down and upset every now and then because i don't really have a life. i don't get to interact with adults that often. between semi-depression and boredom, i find myself eating. i've always been a boredom eater, and i'm bored all the time. any advice on how to help with the boredom, with the depression, or anything that may help me do something other than eat in those situations, because, gaining weight is doing nothing but making me more depressed.

Replies

• Cwilliams8676
    Cwilliams8676 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    i stay busy ALL the time. I go for like 4 walks I clean alot cook watch very little tv I constantly move. I love being a SAHM
  • kadins_momma07
    kadins_momma07 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    You sound a little like me, I'm a stay at home mom of one also. I just try to have strenght and make the right eating choices. My husband is not trying to eat healthy at all, so we definitely have plenty of bad thing sin our kitchen to eat. I just make sure I have my good things in there too so that when I'm hungry for a meal or snack I can reach for my good things and not his (yummy) bad things. Lately I have been trying to get myself on a schedule where i'll eat breakfast after I exercise int he morning, have lunch a couple hours later at lunch time, have a mid-afternoon snack alittle before dinner, eat dinner, then later in the evening after I exercise and shower I'll have another snack and relax before bed. On the days I actually stick to that schedule I feel good at the end of the day...I'm not hungry or feeling guilty about eating bad things. Now there are days where I'll dig into the not so good for you snacks and fast food, because it's not good to totally deprive yourself of the things you love. That will only make eating healthy a chore and make you want to stop trying. You just have to be strong and keep telling yourself that the hard work will pay off!! I have to make decisions everday, because like I said, my husband doesn't care about what he eats/drinks. Good luck, maybe you can get yourself some good things for you to have next time you go grocery shopping!
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I fill the house with fresh food : veggies, fruit, lean meats etc. I avoid buying " treat food " that I like as if it were the plague. If I really need atreat, I'd rather have to make it from scratch.

Also, I go out in the evenings, and as often as possible. I can't stand being home ALL the time.

Boredom eating is a real pitfall, but it's more easily managed if you can reach for healthier foods. You can eat a lot more carrots than you can potato chips.
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I do better keeping fit as a SAHM. I have total control over what food I bring into the house, I am not stuck at a desk all day, there is no temptation from 'office parties' and food days, and I don't have to worry about people always wanting me to go out for lunch with them to a restaurant without healthy options.

It is easy to get stuck in a rut, but there are things you can do. Take your child for a walk, or go to the park. Join an age-appropriate play group and get to know some of the other moms in your neighborhood. I know that my church has a MOPS group and they are quite active. I am not sure how old your child is, but if he/she naps, take that opportunity to put on some music and just dance, or clean house, or whatever you feel comfortable doing. If your child doesn't nap, get him/her involved in your routine. Do fitness activities together.

You have an opportunity to take control of your life like you wouldn't have if you worked outside of the home.
  • Cwilliams8676
    Cwilliams8676 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Im like the previous poster Stay home helps me
    Maybe make a schedule Like today ive been on the laptop and not even ate so unlike me lol
    I walk every few hrs with kids they love it i get exercise I try to go to gym a few times a week TRY
  • va_va_voom
    va_va_voom Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I'm actually counting down the days (literally) to be a SAHM again. I struggle to find the time to exercise properly working FT and keeping up with the house/kids and their activities throughout the week. I plan on walking in the mornings with my girls and being outside and active when the boys are home from school in the afternoons. Remember that exercise can be "out of the box" fun stuff that you do with your kids. Don't make it work - make it fun!

As for the food - it helps me if I plan meals and prep as much as I can for them ahead of time. It helps me curb any snacking or unhealthy eating b/c I suddenly realize that I'm STARVING and I don't know what I'm going to eat.

If you're eating out of boredom - make a conscious choice to do something other than eat when you feel the urge to prowl the fridge or pantry. :)
  • kristyso
    kristyso Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am just now starting to get out of my rut, I have a 2yr old and a 10mth old. I too am caught up in what seems like the same boring routine and it will start to get to you and drive you crazy! I recently started MFP and it has given me the motivation to start a program. The best thing to do is just get out of the house! I try to go for hour long walks with the kids in the morning and have so for about 3wks now and I can't tell you how much my mood and daily energy has gone up. As far as food and eating well go, my motto is "If you don't buy it, you can't eat it" and this is a lot harder to say than do when your boyfriend/husband is not trying to lose weight with you, but in my case, he is just gonna have to deal with not having as much junk food around and for the little treats that are still there, nothing like having stuff around you shouldn't over consume to increase your will power.
  • va_va_voom
    va_va_voom Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I am just now starting to get out of my rut, I have a 2yr old and a 10mth old. I too am caught up in what seems like the same boring routine and it will start to get to you and drive you crazy! I recently started MFP and it has given me the motivation to start a program. The best thing to do is just get out of the house! I try to go for hour long walks with the kids in the morning and have so for about 3wks now and I can't tell you how much my mood and daily energy has gone up. As far as food and eating well go, my motto is "If you don't buy it, you can't eat it" and this is a lot harder to say than do when your boyfriend/husband is not trying to lose weight with you, but in my case, he is just gonna have to deal with not having as much junk food around and for the little treats that are still there, nothing like having stuff around you shouldn't over consume to increase your will power.

My husband knows that junk food comes into our house for special occasions only and I *will* toss whatever he doesn't finish in a reasonable amount of time. Also, he gets his junk food fixes by using his weekly spending money to buy fast food for lunch or snacks at the corner store. That way, I don't have to be around it and it doesn't bother/tempt me. ;)
  • PAMD0614
    PAMD0614 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    HI, I'M PAM AND I ALSO WAS A STAY AT HOME MOM WHEN I WAS YOUNGER. NOW THAT I AM 50, I TRULY APPRECIATE THE FACT THAT I WAS ABLE TO STAY HOME AND SEE ALL THE ACCOMPLISHMENTS THE KIDS DID. I ALSO UNDERSTAND THE DAILY ROUTINE. SO WHAT I DID WAS MAKE A NEW ROUTINE AND INVOLVED THE KIDS AND MADE IT FUN FOR THEM AND LIFE CHANGING FOR ME. EVERYDAY I WOULD WALK THE KIDS TO THE PLAYGROND , WHICH WAS 6-7 BLOCKS AWAY, PLAY NONE STOP FOR 1-2 HOURS WITH THEM AND THEN WALK BACK. SOMETIMES I WOULD PACK A LUNCH FOR THEM AND MY GOAL ORIENTED LUNCH FOR ME TOO. THE HOUSE WORK WAS STILL THERE WHEN I GOT BACK BUT THE CHANGE IN MOOD WAS GREAT. I FELT LIKE I HAD ACCOMPLISHED SOMETHING. I SPENT SPECIAL TIME ON MY KIDS , GOT A LOT OF EXERCISE IN AND STAYED AWAY FROM THE KITCHEN. GOOD LUCK.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain.

I've been a SAHM for almost 5 years and I crave my husbands constant attention when he's home because I just get so bored and lonely by myself. I packed on the pounds from boredom eating too.

I joined a gym, it's a good way to give yourself a break from your home-prison, kids and your pantry! Plus you get the opportunity to meet new people and make new friends. =) Make some time in your routine for YOU!
  • follmer20
    follmer20 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I've been a stay at home mom for about 10 months now. I have. 2.5 yer old and a 3 month old. My 2 year old doesn't take naps so trying to get an hour workout in the day is almost impossible. I've been trying to get up before he gets out of bed in the morning for a good hour.. Hour and a half workout. It's kinda tiring but if you really want to loose the weight you have to sacrifice some things. Getting your kids involved is not only good for you but also good for the little ones. I don't really get out of the house that much either which I'm going to start takin my son to the park more often. My boyfriend doesn't eat healthy either but I will still buy him the junk food he likes. I just steer away from it and go for a healthier snack. Once you get started you'll be more likely to just stop craving the sweets. That's how I am atleast.
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    Trust me, having worked both sides of the fence, it's easier to stay at home as you can control more.

You don't have donuts and other goodies brought in to tempt you like you do at work. You don't have lunches out etc. You can control what's in your home at all times and you have the time to prepare meals exactly how you want them.

I've had way more success at weightloss as a SAHM than I ever did as a working mom!
  • noynoyavery
    noynoyavery Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    hi i have a 6 year old a 4 year old an an almost 1 year old. dh is out at work 7.30-7.30 tue-sat and overtime on mondays so i pretty much am i on my own apart from sundays. i work out to the wii every day now for 10-15 mins depending on what i can fit in. i walk to the school runs (dont have a car) and wear the little one which uses up a lot of cals, hes also breast feed still so that extra calories (although i do my best not to use those cals!) i try to plan something yummy yet healthy for lunch or dinner , but i also make sure i have something naughty to look forward to everyday. i have just been given an allotment so all that digging will help. i found the best way to lose weight and get motivated was to not go on the internet as much, more time freed up to do excerising. cleaning decorating etc. Good luck chick! hope you find a groove that works for you soon xx
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    Hi. I am a SAHM to a 4 1/2 and 18 month old. I get rather bored and lonely at times too. I hate being stuck at home all day.
    I have made working out the one thing that I do just for myself. Everyday when I put my son down for a nap I do some kind of workout DVD. I love to try to figure out how to make yummy dinners be healthy and low in calories. I log everything I eat, including bite of the kids food. THIS is my hobby, eating right, and exercising.
    Are there any mom's groups near you where you can meet other SAHM's and get out of the house for play dates? Getting out around other mom's kept me from getting depressed.
  • khloee1
    khloee1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I too am a stay at home mom. I totally understand where you are coming from. I was actually thinking I was the only one that felt this way. I have 3 kids one is out living on his own but I have a 7 and 4 yr old...plus a dog that is a Menace to Society! I find myself very lonely and bored. When my husb. gets home I want him to talk to me but he rather sleep. I packed on the lbs. because I'm an emotional eater. I literally make 3 different meals every day. One for the kids One for the Husb. and mine. It is insane! My husb. will not eat healthy...he really needs it! So, it is extreamly hard for me. I try and keep busy. Work out 30DS in the am and clean, clean, clean during the day. I would go for a walk with my daughter but it's too darn hot! I honestly am feeling isolated and getting depressed...I need a life too. I tend to just do for my family and totally forget about myself. That's why I started trying to lose weight and get healthy....for me. You can do it! We can do it!
  • cari4jc1
    cari4jc1 Posts: 233
    Options
    I feel your pain! I'm a SAHM to 3 boys. 7, 4 & 17 months. During the school year my routine is as follows:

7:30-8:30 Wake up, eat breakfast & feed the kids breakfast, take my oldest to school & come home
    8:30-930 or 10 Do dishes, start laundry, vacuum etc. (I just get as much done as I can.)
    10-11:15 or 11:30 Exercise (Sometimes it takes longer or shorter. It depends on how often I get interrupted by the kids. It's frustrating sometimes, but I just make the decision to finish the workout no matter what.)
    11:30-12 Eat lunch & then lay youngest down for a nap
    12-1 or 1:30 Shower & nap
    1:30-3 Finish getting ready while I watch my favorite soap opera. (I'm lame...I know.)
    3-3:30 Go pick up oldest from school
    3:30-4:30 or 5 Relax or finish laundry or another task if I need to
    5-6:30ish Make and eat dinner & then clean up
    6:30-8 Finish any cleaning that needs done or relax with the kids and hubby
    8 Put the kids to bed and watch a movie with the hubs
    10:30ish Go to bed

Of course this doesn't work everyday because kids always need something it seems, but that's the basic layout of my day. I used to be terrible about eating when I was bored. It was definitely my downfall. I finally made a decision that whenever I was bored and was tempted to eat something that I would go clean something or just do something else. Get myself "Unbored" so that I wouldn't think about the food. I also got rid of all my favorite junk foods and replaced it with other healthier snacks so that if I did give in at least I wasn't eating ice cream.

It was difficult, but I finally just made the decision to do what I needed to be healthy. If the dishes don't get done or the laundry isn't completely done then oh well. I have tomorrow to work on it again. In the long run it's more important to be fit and healthy and to be here for my kids than it is to get everything around the house done.

You CAN do this! Don't ever give up and if you fall off the wagon one day then don't beat yourself up. Just get back on the wagon the next day and keep moving.
  • LJGmom
    LJGmom Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    You need a hobby..scrapbooking, reading, sewing, even organizing to fill your time instead of tv and eating. I do NOT turn on my tv. I found that sitting around made me want to snack and made me tired. Focus on something extra, maybe housecleaning deeply one room a day, and go for walks, join a MOPS group this fall, it's a great way to meet other moms who stay home. Go to the same park same time everyday, you'll meet other moms from the neighborhood too. I have been a SAHM. For 10 years, and it's a lonely job, you are very blessed to be able to do it. Stay positive! Stay busy!
  • chayleah
    chayleah Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If you have a gym with daycare nearby or a YMCA then look into joining. Even of it takes a while to meet people & make "gym friends" getting out of the house can make you feel better. Check to see if there are any stroller fit classes near you, they allow you to workout with your kiddo and meet other moms
  • MommyMulkey
    Options
    I'm an 'older' new mom who has a 3 year old and an 11 month old. I have so little energy, I can barely keep up with them. I try to go to the gym an 4 am to be home in time for the hubby to go to work, but yeesh, I'm finally giving the baby his last feeding two hours prior!

I want to try juicing (well, using a blender) but can't afford one of those fancy schmancy things. Instead, I'm chugging coffee all day (caffeine has no effect anymore) and I end up eating the kiddo's leftovers. I know I need to get in shape in order to keep up my kids, but my body has been through 10 pregnancies, 9 in the last 4 years. (lots of miscarriages) so there's all that baggage. I'm so used to being in the first trimester and eating whatever I had a whimsy for, it's hard to break that habit!

Anyone have a good workout plan that is similar to the couch to 5K plan only for somone in their mid 40's who's not able to run much at all? maybe including some swimming?
  • scissotron
    Options
    I too am a stay at home mom. I totally understand where you are coming from. I was actually thinking I was the only one that felt this way. I have 3 kids one is out living on his own but I have a 7 and 4 yr old...plus a dog that is a Menace to Society! I find myself very lonely and bored. When my husb. gets home I want him to talk to me but he rather sleep. I packed on the lbs. because I'm an emotional eater. I literally make 3 different meals every day. One for the kids One for the Husb. and mine. It is insane! My husb. will not eat healthy...he really needs it! So, it is extreamly hard for me. I try and keep busy. Work out 30DS in the am and clean, clean, clean during the day. I would go for a walk with my daughter but it's too darn hot! I honestly am feeling isolated and getting depressed...I need a life too. I tend to just do for my family and totally forget about myself. That's why I started trying to lose weight and get healthy....for me. You can do it! We can do it!

its awesome to find someone that understands exactly what i mean. in a strange way, my 3 year old is my motivation for doing this, but on a daily basis, she gives me no motivation. haha. i need adult friends to motivate me! :) im in the same boat. i LOVE walking, but im not a huge fan of the freakin summer temps, and i dont feel right taking her out in it for that long. i notice one thing, for sure. when i am more tan, i am more motivated to workout, that is like, the only thing that i have found that works every time. im not sure why, but its pretty awesome to have found something.