Help! 45 y/o female gaining even with exercise

Options
Hi all! I am a 45 y/o married mom of two with a full-time job. I am extremely frustrated to be packing on pounds that won't go away. I have been adding in elliptical training at least 30 minutes 3x per week since March and still no help. My diet is basically the same as it was this same time last year, yet I have gained about 10 pounds since then.
I am looking for suggestions in two places: 1 - similar experiences from other women and how they broke through these "yucky 40-something body changes", and 2 - general ideas on how-to boost my motivation as I struggle to see results.
As a side note - I had blood work done earlier this year and thyroid issues were ruled out.
Thank you in advance for any advice!
-ng

Replies

• Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Our metabolisms change as we get older. I know I sure can't eat the way I did even a couple of years ago without seeing changes for the worse in the body. Are you tracking what you're eating? Do you know what your BMR and TDEE are?
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Hi there! What and how much are you eating?? And how much do you have to lose?
  • fabafter5
    fabafter5 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was upping protein considerably and decreasing carbs. I'm not talking low carb but lower carbs. My sweet spot seems to be around 100g per day where protein is 100-140 g per day.

I would also look at your workout. I see people on the elliptical texting, reading books, or the newspaper. Not saying that you are not getting a good worlout from the elliptical, I just never did. Try stepping off the elliptical and onto the treadmill and do some Tabata work or intertvals.

GL!
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Do you log your food? It's very easy to overcompensate for exercise without realizing it, and even small increases in calories add up over time. Depending on your size, you might burn the equivalent of a candy bar or a small slice of pizza or some almonds and a piece of fruit on the elliptical in 30 minutes. This is really easy to out eat. To really lose you need to figure out your total daily energy expenditure (see http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ ) and net a number of calories below that but above your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR).

I also think that making sure you get adequate protein and adding strength training would be a good idea to let you hang on to more of the lean muscle you have while losing weight. This will give a leaner look and help you burn more calories at rest.
  • brsnyder117
    brsnyder117 Posts: 11
    Options
    I've been struggling with exactly the same problem, although I am almost 60. I have been trying to crack the 140-point for months.

A few days ago, I read something that reminded me about carbs, and decided to try just reducing the carbs in my diet. Nothing extreme, nothing I can't maintain, at least so far. I was shocked to find that the RDA is 300-something carb grams/day. The low-low carb diets want you in the under-40 range. I've been keeping mine in the under-100 range and have lost 3 pounds in 4 days. Obviously that trend will slow at some point (well, maybe not obviously, but most likely), but you might want to give it a try.

The numbers might be arbitrary. For example, if you've been averaging 600 carbs/day (which is very easy to do), just try cutting it by 10 or 20% and see what happens. Nothing to lose (no pun intended!). Or just cut out one thing, like bread or pasta, and see if that helps.

When tracking your foods, use carbs minus fiber to equal what is called "effective carbs." So if something has 15 g of carbs and three grams of fiber, that = 12 grams of carbs.

Please, no flames! I am eating well and keeping up with my exercise etc. I'm not substituting bacon for whole-wheat bread or anything like that. I just wanted to say what is working for me and something you might want to try. If this approach doesn't appeal to you or anyone reading this post, PLEASE ignore it. I'm not trying to start a back-and-forth discussion - just making an innocuous and I hope helpful comment.

hth -- Barbara
  • jennin2010
    jennin2010 Posts: 13
    Options
    I feel your pain. Have been going through the same thing. I'll be the big 50 in a couple of weeks. Stuggling to lose the weight I've gained over the past year (50lbs) xcommiting to fill out the food and exerciise log on MFP helps keep me on track. Good luck
  • backtohsweight
    Options
    Wow! You are all so kind for the quick responses.

To answer a few basics: I am 5'8" and currently weigh about 160. Other than when I was pregnant, I have never weighed this much. I am packing on the weight in my belly, hip, thigh area. I would like to lose at least 15 pounds.

I do some general strength training with upper body (light weights), sit-ups, leg raises, etc.
    I also like to bike and switch that out with the elliptical.

I am a salty snacker, but have tried to replace that crunch with carrots, celery, etc. I could probably use more protein and eliminate some carbs. I truly do not eat a lot of junk, but perhaps just the wrong items.

I am far from perfect when it comes to eating EVERYTHING right, but it is hard to not be frustrated with the weight gain.

Maybe I just need to get better about my food and watch everything I eat...

THANK YOU all! :o)
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    It's all about the calories. I ran 42+ miles this past week, that's about 3,360 calories for me. Took me probably 7 hours to run it, I could easily eat it back in one 20 minute meal. Exercise (I found) will never do it. At our age, we gotta start watching calories (insert whailing sound here). Good news is by tracking my food, I lost weight pretty quickly and somewhat painlessly on here. Getting older has no good qualities!
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    But how much are you eating?? Are you tracking?
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    You aren't going to lose with a poor diet even if you are exercising. I'd take a good look at what/how much you're eating.
  • charlynette73
    Options
    I definitey agree with looking in to your food intake....that matters alot..and switching up your workout whic appears to be mundane.....I would suggest checking out bodybuilding.com. Not for bodybuiling per say but to see how normal everyday people have transformed there bodies. You'd be amazed!
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    It's all about the calories. I ran 42+ miles this past week, that's about 3,360 calories for me. Took me probably 7 hours to run it, I could easily eat it back in one 20 minute meal. Exercise (I found) will never do it. At our age, we gotta start watching calories (insert whailing sound here). Good news is by tracking my food, I lost weight pretty quickly and somewhat painlessly on here. Getting older has no good qualities!

Actually, getting older has lots of great qualities -- wisdom, comfort in one's heart and skin, legacies left through family, work, what we do for others over our lifetimes. There are some great qualities to getting older. It's just soooo much harder as a "woman of a certain age" to lose weight! But let's celebrate our aging process and the fact we're working hard to stay fit at any age, not feel like it's all downhill when we hit a certain age.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    weight loss is determined by your eating not your exercise, unless you're spending hours a day doing tough workouts. 30 minutes a day 3 days a week of elliptical isnt going to make much of an impact at all on weight loss.

plus are you also adding a bit more to your diet thinking that you earned it because of the exercise? that can really hurt you because it's almost a given that people dont burn anywhere near the amount of calories they think they burn during an activity. for instance you're probably burning 150-300 calories per workout. that can easily be eaten back in a snack
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Hi Before joining here and going thru different diets over the years, I decided to get a notebook and write down every single thing I eat all day long with the time.
    I knew I could not have any cookies or ice cream etc, because I have no will power if they are in the house. It has been at least 3 weeks without any of that. I do run besides watching what I eat. In 3 weeks I have lost about 10 lbs and have another 25 to go! Good luck!!
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    1. The MFP grossly overestimates calories expended with exercise, I would ignore them all together

2. Make sure you are using your food scale and measuring cups, you are likely underestimating your portion sizes

3. Some people lose weight in a linear fashion, women tend to lose in a "stair case" pattern. If you are doing everything right, just hold on for a few weeks and check your weight at the same time every day.

4. Weight loss is important, but so are inches and bodyfat % too. Track those as well
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    It is hard to guess! But I'd look at your intake first and throw in some strength training to your routine. I'd say leave off simple carbs, eat more low fat protein, and more raw fruits and veggies. I'm 54 and it's worked well for me.
  • pugsley5
    pugsley5 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    OMG...I felt like I was reading my own mind!!!!! I am having the EXACT same issues...working out, eating the same foods and amounts..Increased work out,cut back on food..Nothing..WTH????? Hope we get some constructive advice. Thanks for posting! Good Luck..
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    "Your Diet is #1. You can live in the gym, but if you don't eat clean you're wasting your time!" - IFBB Pro Bikini Jessica Jessie

I have that as my background on my computer at work. It is so true. If you are eating the same exact way as last year and you are not seeing progress you need to change some stuff up. Since, you say you are working out, it must be in your diet I would have to guess. Don't give up though just change some things and see what works for you. Everyone is different.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Actually, getting older has lots of great qualities -- wisdom, comfort in one's heart and skin, legacies left through family, work, what we do for others over our lifetimes. There are some great qualities to getting older. It's just soooo much harder as a "woman of a certain age" to lose weight! But let's celebrate our aging process and the fact we're working hard to stay fit at any age, not feel like it's all downhill when we hit a certain age.
    [/quote]

Amen to that! I may some issues, but I'd rather be me "older".