Bananas....good or bad? What's your take?

Options
On one hand, it's fruit. Fruit is good, right?

On the other hand, there is no protein and a lot of sugar.

Good or bad in your eyes?

Also, how many calories are in one large banana? I saw many different numbers from 120 all the way up to 220.

Replies

• HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    sure bananas have higher sugar, but it's natural sugar.
    Personally I love them, expecially with dark chocolate yummmm
  • DawnM62
    DawnM62 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    fruit = good

there is so much good stuff in fruit it far outweighs the bad
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    There are other nutrients besides protein that are important for your health and diet. Bananas have some of them!
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Not to mention the huge amounts of potassium about 600-700mg per bananna. I love them too but have to limit myself to like 2 a day I could easily eat a whole bundle in a day. And define large bananna 128 grams is equal to 114 cal, 32g Carbs, 15g Sugar.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    There are other nutrients besides protein that are important for your health and diet. Bananas have some of them!

Absolutely!!! Bananas are a great recovery fruit and have a lot of other benefits outside of protein.
  • kerrydykas
    kerrydykas Posts: 11
    Options
    good! i eat one every day. they are packed with fiber, so you feel satisfied for about 1-2h after having them. a 7-8" banana has about 110 calories in it. more filling than those 100 calorie snack packs and more nutritious - think of all the potassium!
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    bananas are AMAZING! potassium potassium potassium. and yummy. i'll eat any that you don't want.
  • RajwaJ
    RajwaJ Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I hd trouble logging my bananas when I brought them fresh from the market. But then I got some from the supermarket and they had nutritional info on the bag. I now work out my bananas on that. It was 95 kcals - 100g. Hope that helps.
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Bananas are awesome. It's a lot of sugar, but it's natural. Plus, with the amount of potassium in them- it's well worth it, especially for women since we tend to not get enough potassium.
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    potassium helps us play and bananas are so easily portable. Definately good.
  • VickiG36
    VickiG36 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I love 'em. I eat half before a work out to give me the energy to do a work out and the other half after it. I say eat 'em up.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Too much of anything isnt good I believe
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    Bananas, so wonderful, so many uses.......
  • ashreynolds09
    ashreynolds09 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    bananas are AMAZING! potassium potassium potassium. and yummy. i'll eat any that you don't want.

This! I have one every morning. Also....I read a few years ago that they are also good to help combat depression. But I don't know the truth in that.
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    I love 'em. I eat half before a work out to give me the energy to do a work out and the other half after it. I say eat 'em up.

Me too - I eat half before a workout and then blend the other half in with my protein powder, crushed ice, water and yoghurt to make a protein smoothie. I LOVE bananas. Perfect fruit.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I eat at least one, often two, bananas every day.

I shed 138 pounds and dropped my body fat from 56% to 21%

I am 5'10" and have a 26" waist.

I am going to say bananas didn't hurt me.

That being said, if you are diabetic, be cautious.
  • victoriasnow
    victoriasnow Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    bananas are good for you, but even with fruits because of all the sugar, they should be eaten in moderation. one-two medium sized bananas a day should be fine. i just say this because i ate them A LOT with my first pregnancy & my dietician told me i was taking in too much sugar from eating them so often.
  • dirty_diana
    dirty_diana Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I love bananas, but I try to limit them to right before running or playing hockey. They are high in sugar, but they're also easy to digest and I'm going to burn the crap out of that sugar in no time so it won't be sticking around. I also find I have more endurance with a banana in my belly.
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Personally I love them and eat one a day :smile: