Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Back pain after deadlifts

2»

Replies

• greasygriddle_wechnage
    greasygriddle_wechnage Posts: 246 Member
    bump
    :smokin:
  • Newtylee
    Newtylee Posts: 7
    If you are using small plates (no bumper plates and smaller than 45s), the bar is probably too low to the ground, causing you to bend too far over to grab it. Try raising it up a few inches on step risers or stacked plates and see if that helps. You want it to be the same distance from the ground as it would be if 45lb plates were on it.

Guava has a very good point. The bar should be high enough, about 8-10 inches almost mid-shin. I forgot this, as I have been on the 45lb plates for awhile now.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    So you're having issues with Romanian Deadlifts and not conventional Deadlifts correct? First, for RDL's I would stick to a more moderate rep range like 8-10 reps. RDL's are different from conventional deadlifts.

Form-wise, don't just start the movement by bending over. Keeping your legs straight you almost want to stick your *kitten* back and out like you're trying to moon somebody, you're going to feel a lot of the weight shift to the middle and read of your feet. Only go down until you feel a really good stretch in your hamstrings, you don't necessarily need to touch the floor. The eccentric portion of the lift can be slower and more controlled. When you explode back up squeeze your glutes as hard as you can.
  • mezerimay
    mezerimay Posts: 1
    I found this great article on deadlifts and backpain from Stronglifts.com: http://stronglifts.com/deadlifts-lower-back-pain-injury-technique/

I too am working on increasing my weight with deadlifts, but I get back pain for a few days after workout, so now I am looking to improve my form, and maybe slow down on the weight. I don't think you should get pain for more than a day after a workout, especially when that is back pain. I hope you get better soon!!!
  • It's all about the form. I still get back pain after deadlifts. Try wearing a belt
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    It's interesting that they don't discuss adding supporting exercises for one's hamstrings and back. If a person has a weak lower back and/or hamstrings, squatting and deadlifting is not enough to balance out those muscle groups. They help for sure but having supporting work in the form of good mornings, romanian dealifts, pull-through's, back hyper's, and reverse-hyper's are very important in developing the posterior chain enough to support a strong squat and deadlift.
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Possibly form.. I agree with checking out the Mark Rippetoe vids.
  • jrreed1
    jrreed1 Posts: 57 Member
    bump to read more