"You've lost weight!"

Options
Have I?

Sometimes when I see people I haven't seen in a while, they greet me with the title comment and I feel dumbfounded. Sure, I've lost 17lbs since my weight-loss journey began, but I just don't feel like it's that great of an achievement. I sometimes feel like the road ahead is impossible because I just don't see what they see whenever I look in the mirror.

Is anyone else NOT seeing their progress although the scale tells them otherwise? :<

Replies

• jaxandmaksmom
    jaxandmaksmom Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I dont see it at all.... Maybe off my face but mybody is still as big... And when ppl say it i think they r just tying to make me feel better
  • jasperann
    jasperann Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I can relate. It is getting easier lately, because I am seeing it in little things. Especially when I take pictures and compare them to when I started. It shocks me, because I still 'feel' like the same person.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I didn't really start to see a difference until I lost 20+ pounds, but it all depends on where you hold your weight and where you lose it.

But don't fool yourself. 17 pounds is a great achievement, no matter what!
  • bookfaery
    bookfaery Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'll think I'm doing pretty well, based on the scale. Until I find myself in a dept. store fitting room. Then all bets are off.
  • Joneses17
    Joneses17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from. After only 10 lbs lost I've had several people comment. Use that to keep you going. 17 lbs is a great loss. You see yourself everyday in the mirror so you don't notice the change but people who don't see you daily or weekly likely will. Also, 17 lbs on the scale often means a lot more inches. Keep it up and congrats.
  • mom2gar
    mom2gar Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'll think I'm doing pretty well, based on the scale. Until I find myself in a dept. store fitting room. Then all bets are off.

*sigh* me too.

And to the OP - just thank them and keep it as a little gem for the days when you feel nothing is happening.
  • amymarie8709
    amymarie8709 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I dont see it at all.... Maybe off my face but mybody is still as big... And when ppl say it i think they r just tying to make me feel better

^^this!!
  • awmejia
    awmejia Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    People keep asking me if I have had gastric surgery. I just politely say no that I have just been eating healthier. Personally I don't see the huge change in me that they say they see.
  • barbaradilisio
    Options
    I don't see it on myself at all, but other people have commented on it. Maybe it's because you see yourself everyday that you don't notice it. 17lbs is a lot though so keep up the great work!
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I can't see it, but I can feel it in my clothes. A friend who sees me every day said she can tell, mostly in my back and chest (which makes sense since my bra is looser and shirts fit a little better). Nobody else has noticed, but I think that's because I'm so heavy that it won't really be noticeable until I've dropped another 30-40 pounds.
  • kimimila86
    kimimila86 Posts: 424
    Options
    I haven't been in my office for a few weeks because of traveling, and someone actually said that I looked much thinner this morning. I said thank you with a smile, but I feel like you do... I kinda see it, but I also see ALL of the stuff I still want to lose.

15 lbs down (17 in your case!) is not something to scoff at, but try to use their words as a pat on the back that you're doing the right thing for you and be happy that others are noticing! :flowerforyou:
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    The scale may not say it, but you may have lost inches and that will look (to others) like you have lost weight! I can relate, I don't see it - but people have been saying it more lately, but like a few people said above....I can feel it in my clothes.

Enjoy the compliment. You should be proud of 17lbs!!
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your 17 pounds, that is AWESOME!
    I dont think we can ever really tell on ourselves because we are our own worst critic.
    Case in point, I was having a bit of a hissy fit because my scale was not moving as fast as I would like, and that week I had 3 people ask me what I was doing because they could tell Id lost weight!
    Go figure!

File the compliment away from a rainy day.
    :)