4 minute work out(tabata)

Options
kulso0om
kulso0om Posts: 17 Member
has anyone heard of this? or does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? i'm considering trying it out right now as i was going to do my cardio work out anyways but if i can do it in 4 minutes, that would be amazing

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    4 minutes of EXTREME INTENSITY. Not just 4 minutes of "working out".

Google it for some exercise choices. Thrusters, kb swings, burpees are good.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    its very intense. make sure you are fit enough...nothing is worth doing if it is dangerous and tabata is not for beginners, I aint saying you are a beginner, but if you are, be careful
  • alostkookie
    alostkookie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i read about it and its for people who are already fit. not for beginners, but the point is to get your heart rate up super fast for 4 min. then you will burn fat all day. it sounds great and probably works, but im not trying it till i get into better shape. ( i might pass out)
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    Tabata is awesome, but it's seriously intense. It's meant to be 20 seconds of all-out effort (I'm usually out of breath at this stage) followed by 10 seconds of rest and repeat this cycle 8 times, after a warm up and with a cool down. It's not for everyone but can be very effective.

Read more about it here: http://www.tabataprotocol.com/
  • amos_9
    amos_9 Posts: 3
    Options
    Agree with all - awesome and very intense, you would need some base fitness to be safe. We use tabata at my karate dojo, and it feels like it will kill me, but I felt fitter even after 2-3 full-on sessions of this in 1 week! I'm keen to carry on with it :) At the end of last year, I also tried another form of interval training which only took 8 minutes. 40 seconds of sprinting (up stairs or hills was best for me), with 20 seconds walking down (that's 1 round = 1 minute) followed immediately by another 7 rounds. I got a lot fitter quicker than I had doing anything else before, and turned some fat to muscle, definitely. Also made for much stronger legs.
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • kulso0om
    kulso0om Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    awesome thanks guys! i'm still slightly beginner so i'll save this for a bit. but if results are there then definitely going to come back when i'm a bit more in shape!
  • shay0119
    shay0119 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    awesome thanks guys! i'm still slightly beginner so i'll save this for a bit. but if results are there then definitely going to come back when i'm a bit more in shape!

check out bexlife on youtube....she has quite a few videos on these types of workouts. I actually started last night. They are very intense but you can do it!!
  • ChrisK7265
    ChrisK7265 Posts: 21
    Options
    I do tabata 2x/week. You can get a free timer app for your phone. The big thing is to remember that after the 20 second bursts, you need to be so out of breath you are almost seeing stars. it is HARD! But it works. I usually do one session of sprints and one session of squats/lunges.