Crossfit Training Success Stories!!

Options
brittaney10811
brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
I have signed up to do crossfit training at my gym 4 days a week and would love to hear and SEE some success from those out there who have done it!! Any tips and/or feedback would be great!! Thanks!!

Replies

• brittaney10811
    Options
    noooobody has any experience with crossfit?!
  • 5Btieden
    5Btieden Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    One of my coworkers does cross fit. She's so tiny, its not like a huge success story but one thing I learned from her is that she works HARD to stay that way! She is one of those people that you love to hate...could make a paper sack look good. But she works out all the time and she has nothing but GOOD things to say about cross fit!
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I took one of the classes at a local gym & one of the only reasons why I didn't continue was bc it was a separate cost than the membership so it was too expensive for me. I really liked it & I learned a lot of techniques that I now do at home. One of my coworkers has done it for the past few months and she loves it! She never gets bored bc each day is different. She didn't have as much to lose but she has definitely toned up a LOT. I hope this helps!
  • brittaney10811
    Options
    it does help, thank you!
  • ranae32
    ranae32 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Here is a blog i read. Her and her husband do crossfit all the time and love it you can read about it http://carrotsncake.com/
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I have wanted to try cross fit for quite some time now, however everywhere I look cost way too much. I can’t afford it but I wish I could.
  • redrover717
    Options
    I did CrossFit for a bit a few years ago- loved the feeling of accomplishment but hated the workouts. They are HIGH intensity and not for the weak of heart. They do Olympic lifting, pull ups, burpees, kettlebells, running and such. No one leaves until everyone is done- so if you're the last one it's a bit embarrassing (maybe to some it's motivating?).

Overall it was an amazing workout- but I'd do it again with a good foundation of working out (P90X, kettle bells, regular cardio).
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I do something similar to crossfit 2 times a week. I started in mid march and have lost 15 pounds and several inches (I never took the measurements unfortunately but I can tell by the way my clothes fit). During the class, we do something new everytime so I haven't gotten bored with it. I sometimes hate the class when I am in it but I feel on top of the world as soon as it is done. My energy level has gone up and I love the people in my class. It is such a motivation to be around them. When I first started I had to modify a ton of moves but now I can do most everything. Good luck and enjoy the classes!
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I have wanted to try cross fit for quite some time now, however everywhere I look cost way too much. I can’t afford it but I wish I could.
    Look for living social or groupon deals in your area. I started my program because of a living social deal (75% off of 10 classes).
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • justjen0117
    justjen0117 Posts: 50
    Options
    I did Crossfit for 2+ years at a box. I enjoyed it but the cost was prohibitive. There's also a different kind of mentality within the community there so you should take it with a grain of salt. I didn't have much success with leaning out as I wasn't controlling my portion sizes but I was certainly much stronger.

You don't need to actually go to a box to do Crossfit. Just go to their website - they list workouts for free. And if you need to scale, there's also help with that as well (under the Start Here, BrandX Workouts).

My only caution is that you learn how to correctly perform Olympic lifts if you decide to attempt them before without assistance. You can seriously injure yourself. A good starting point is Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe.
  • mbhsummerlin
    Options
    I do CrossFit 3x a week and LOVE it! the scale hasn't budged much in 3-4 months but my clothes (pants) fit great and everyone comments on how strong my arms look. (ex- standing the kitchen scrubbing a pot- my dinner guest said "Oh my gosh look at your arm muscles!)

I am 5' tall and 126lbs. I started off somewhat athletic and have improved leaps and bounds in a few months. I can now dead lift (olympic weight lift) 155lbs! I have started doing some serious weight on back squats, overhead squats, etc.

Not only has my strength improved, but oddly enough- my running has improved drastically. I run on the off days, 3 -4 x a wk. I went from stumbling about a mile to running 3+ miles at a time, with tons of energy and skill....

CrossFit has changed the focus from the scale to the tape measure- much better indicator of the changes going on. And I love the high intensity, different every day, let's all push each other mentality.

go for it!
  • mbhsummerlin
    Options
    I do CrossFit 3x a week and LOVE it! the scale hasn't budged much in 3-4 months but my clothes (pants) fit great and everyone comments on how strong my arms look. (ex- standing the kitchen scrubbing a pot- my dinner guest said "Oh my gosh look at your arm muscles!)

I am 5' tall and 126lbs. I started off somewhat athletic and have improved leaps and bounds in a few months. I can now dead lift (olympic weight lift) 155lbs! I have started doing some serious weight on back squats, overhead squats, etc.

Not only has my strength improved, but oddly enough- my running has improved drastically. I run on the off days, 3 -4 x a wk. I went from stumbling about a mile to running 3+ miles at a time, with tons of energy and skill....

CrossFit has changed the focus from the scale to the tape measure- much better indicator of the changes going on. And I love the high intensity, different every day, let's all push each other mentality.

go for it!
  • applesauce610
    Options
    I absolutely love Crossfit! I started about a month ago and have gotten exponentially stronger through good form, coaching and an amazing support group at the Crossfit gym I go to.

I went from being able to deadlift about 100lbs 3.5-4 months ago (on my own, without very good form) to 185lbs just yesterday as my new max. If you want to get stronger, faster and more agile I'd definitely recommend trying out Crossfit. One other person who commented mentioned the intensity of each workout. None of the workouts are easy, they're hard. They make you sweat more than you ever thought was possible, and often can get you to make primal noises when trying to lift heavy weights/objects. Personally I thrive off all of the things I just listed. I makes me feel alive. I'd say try it or at least youtube some videos to see what a WOD (work out of the day) looks like :)
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I did Crossfit for 2+ years at a box. I enjoyed it but the cost was prohibitive. There's also a different kind of mentality within the community there so you should take it with a grain of salt. I didn't have much success with leaning out as I wasn't controlling my portion sizes but I was certainly much stronger.

You don't need to actually go to a box to do Crossfit. Just go to their website - they list workouts for free. And if you need to scale, there's also help with that as well (under the Start Here, BrandX Workouts).

My only caution is that you learn how to correctly perform Olympic lifts if you decide to attempt them before without assistance. You can seriously injure yourself. A good starting point is Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe.

Agreed! I think Crossfit gave me a very good "base" and I learned a lot, but they are definitely a little cult like and I started not liking about 1/2 of the workouts, so I just lift on my own now and do some of the CF workouts myself on occasion. That being said I would definitely try it out! A lot of people need the boost and motivation and Crossfit is very good at doing that!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I really want to do it, but it's insanely expensive.
  • jessie_rose24
    Options
    I have been doing some form of crossfit/oly lifting/powerlifting for the past 5 years. It has helped me lose and keep off 140#... I am super strong and the community aspect of it is great. Like some of the other poster's mentioned, you can do it on your own but make sure you get training in the movements before you attempt them. I am a visual learner so I watched hours of youtube videos and read tons of books on the subject, I am now the Strength and Conditioning coach at my gym. Yes CF gyms do cost more, but the idea behind that is you are really getting instruction in fitness and nutrition...some affiliates do a really good job at it, other's do not. With CF becoming so commercial (with the reebok sponsorship) in the last few years, there are "boxes" popping up all over the place that may or may not be an accurate reflection of the "crossfit methodology". Me personally I have been doing it a while so I feel comfortable designing my own programming or working out at a box. But for a beginner, if you can, pay the money for at least 3 months, that will give you a good starting off point and you can decide whether or not it's for you. Yes, it's challenging, listen to your body, it's just like starting any other workout program...go at your own pace. The environment breeds competition HOWEVER take it with a grain of salt, the only one you should be competing with is yourself. Keep track of your times and weights and you will be proud when you complete a WOD faster or with more weight. The program works, ease into it, take an on-ramp class if you can. Eat out a few times less a month to pay for the gym membership, it's worth it. Good Luck!
  • cansnchloe
    cansnchloe Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I love it too! I m 9 months in and have lost 21 pounds and 6 inches off my waist. The workouts are very hard but so rewarding. The scale has moved slowly for me but it is because you are working to build muscle I guess. I had a hard time accepting that over the months and it is hard mentally to work so hard and watch the numbers tick away so slowly but I am thrilled with the results, totally addicted to the workout (which is amazing for me) and love the people here at our Crossfit. I have heard bad things, cults, weirdos, too intense, whatever... I have never had that problem.

You will also be surprised at how it affects your mental state towards the everyday challenges in your life as well. Ready to tackle problems, more endurances towards the bull**** in life. It has been an interesting and positive transition for me. Best of luck!
  • chicfreak9
    chicfreak9 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    do pay attention to form, a friend was doing kettlebell crossfit and shanked her vag. PAINFUL! Like may here its too expensive and not very close to home that why I cant
  • satterleecr
    Options
    I do Crossfit 3x week at box here locally in Omaha and have been doing it since October 2011. My sister and brother-in-law also own/operate a box out in the D.C. area. I was hesitant at first, but tired of just doing P90x and other military/law enforcement workout plans on my own or working out 3-4 times per week at Lifetime Fitness gym doing boring chest/back day, legs day, arms day, etc.

The culture of the Crossfit box and how you fit in is really key to your enjoyment of Crossfit unless you can ignore that part of it. I have a really awesome box with a good chemistry of personalities. However, a box across town that I tried was very elitist and turned me off. So, I can't stress it enough, the culture of the box is key and the owner and key members are really the ones that set it. Find a good one and stick with it. I've had a few friends tell me some horror stories about a poorly run box that they tried and I feel bad because it isn't a good impression of the overall community.

Before I began Crossfit I had done a few rounds of P90x in my basement. I was inconsistent because the workouts were too repetive and I was tired of watching the same videos over and over and over (I could quote the whole video workout). I also probably didn't push myself hard enough because I was working out alone. I weighed 194 lbs with 22% body fat when I started Crossfit in late October 2011. I'm now down to 177.4 lbs and have a body fat % of about 18. That is with taking off a week here or two weeks there for work or sickness/cold, etc. So, it hasn't been straight through, but I usually go about 1 1/2 - 2 months without a break/interruption. I also supplement my Crossfit workouts with 30 minutes of running (outdoor or treadmill) and 1 hour of bicycle riding outdoors for my off days 2-3 times per week. My strength, power, endurance, balance, confidence, energy, coordination, body composition have all greatly improved. The biggest thing I love about Crossfit is the randomization of the workouts. All of the movements are complex movements that incorporate a lot of large muscle groups at once versus isolation movements like tricep curls, ab curls, etc. My body never adapts to a particular movement and is always guessing. However, you still get better at the movement.

I love the Crossfit workouts! Yes, they are challenging at times, but usually very short high intensity workouts. I haven't been able to find a formula that I've stuck with to lose weight and get into shape until I started doing this current plan. I personally enjoy the social side of it too. We meet up outside of the box on occasion for social get togethers. I look forward to seeing people/talking to them at box before workout. So, this all adds to the experience and motivation to not skip a night, etc.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!