Losing the freshman 15

Options
Hi guys,

I'm keeping myself anonymous just because weight is kind of a personal issue for me. I called this topic "freshman 15" but really it should say "college 15". I came to college 3 years ago at 123lbs which was starting to look a little too much for me (I'm only 5ft 4) and I weighed in yesterday at 137lbs. Needless to say it's not cute and it's time to get it off my body. My waist is 36ins and around my hips (read: love handles) is 38ins. I'm absolutely mortified I let myself get like this especially as last year I went from about 132lbs back down to around 125lbs and I was in pretty good shape.

I'd love some support from people who are looking to lose a similar amount of weight. It's going to be tough for me to stick to a diet/exercise regime over summer as I will be working full time in a job that doesn't make it easy for me to eat at set times and I pretty much have to eat what's made for me as I stay at my work sometimes but I'm going to try my best and hopefully small changes will make a difference. :)

Also does anyone have any advice re: telling my family I'm trying to lose weight. It's always a bit of a weird issue with us mainly because I get embarrassed and my mum will just say "you don't need to lose weight" and that's the end of the discussion. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Replies

• TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    You're mortified to be at 137 lbs? The one's over 200 lbs. are not going to like you very much!!!
  • tony2009
    tony2009 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Not trying to lose similar amount of weight, but I was in your situation. Feel free to add me for support!
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I don't really know if I have any advice for you except as long as your eating right and exercising (i.e. doing it the right way) your mom shouldn't being saying much to you because you're not being unhealthy about it (eating disorder) or anything.

I was just shocked when I read you thought you were looking heavy at 123 and you're 5'4''. I'm 5'1'' and 125.... and I thought I was a good size. I mean, I have a 27" waist... there is no way you looked "big" at 123 and 5'4''.
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I have similar weight as you, i'm 5'3" and 138 lbs. My goal is 125 lbs. Small changes do make a difference. Try to eat as clean as possible. My weekdays I try to eat all clean. On the weekends I dont count calories and eat whatever I'm in the mood for (with moderation). I cut all portions in half on weekends. It helps me stay on track during the week. I dont feel as restriced. As for exercising, high interval intensity training helps. Wether its walking/jogging outside or on treadmill, it also works on bike, and ellipticals. Short bursts of high intensity helps burn more calories. You can add me as a friend if you like. Good luck!
  • sninny
    sninny Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hi! I gained the "freshman 15", though for me it was more like 20 and I didn't do a whole lot to try and lose it. Then I got married and put on another 20 pounds over 4 years, then got pregnant and put on even more weight.

I think the fact that you are aware and trying to lose this weight is a great thing. I was kind of in denial for a long time, and also didn't have the knowledge or tools to really do anything about it. I would exercise sporadically but I had no idea the extent of damage I was doing to myself by eating badly. Now I'm 25 and working really hard to lose my marriage and college weight. Do everything you can NOW to lose the pounds because it only gets harder later if you put it off. Don't give up, you can do it!! Feel free to add me if you'd like. Good luck!
  • anonvl
    anonvl Posts: 17
    Options
    You're mortified to be at 137 lbs? The one's over 200 lbs. are not going to like you very much!!!

Sorry if that is going to come across as offensive. I'm not body shaming at all. I hate body negativity and I never judge others because of their weight. Just for me being heavier isn't comfortable. I'm sorry if that was taken out of context and I offended you or anyone else.
  • anonvl
    Options
    I don't really know if I have any advice for you except as long as your eating right and exercising (i.e. doing it the right way) your mom shouldn't being saying much to you because you're not being unhealthy about it (eating disorder) or anything.

I was just shocked when I read you thought you were looking heavy at 123 and you're 5'4''. I'm 5'1'' and 125.... and I thought I was a good size. I mean, I have a 27" waist... there is no way you looked "big" at 123 and 5'4''.

I think different weights are comfortable for different people. I think I had a 27" waist at 117lbs. I guess we just carry our weight differently. :) I'm glad you are happy with your body
  • ultim8one
    ultim8one Posts: 80 Member
    Options

you look great ... and nice ink to boot !!!
  • Jess81620
    Jess81620 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am try to lose similiar weight. I am 29, 5'2 and currently weight 126 trying to get back down to 110. I have let myself gain a few pounds in the last 5 years. I work a FT and a PT job so I understand. I have had plenty of people tell me that I don't need to lose weight and others that are really positive about it. Mostly I am just trying to get more tone. We carry our weight very differently though my waist is a 25 inches after 3 weeks on MVP started at 28. My hips are at 38 (started at 39 1/2).
  • ultim8one
    ultim8one Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

I'm keeping myself anonymous just because weight is kind of a personal issue for me. I called this topic "freshman 15" but really it should say "college 15". I came to college 3 years ago at 123lbs which was starting to look a little too much for me (I'm only 5ft 4) and I weighed in yesterday at 137lbs. Needless to say it's not cute and it's time to get it off my body. My waist is 36ins and around my hips (read: love handles) is 38ins. I'm absolutely mortified I let myself get like this especially as last year I went from about 132lbs back down to around 125lbs and I was in pretty good shape.

I'd love some support from people who are looking to lose a similar amount of weight. It's going to be tough for me to stick to a diet/exercise regime over summer as I will be working full time in a job that doesn't make it easy for me to eat at set times and I pretty much have to eat what's made for me as I stay at my work sometimes but I'm going to try my best and hopefully small changes will make a difference. :)

Also does anyone have any advice re: telling my family I'm trying to lose weight. It's always a bit of a weird issue with us mainly because I get embarrassed and my mum will just say "you don't need to lose weight" and that's the end of the discussion. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

I'm a member on other body building boards and I always give the same advice when people say they have a hard time sticking to a "diet". Nutrition coachs are pretty cheap .. especially when comparing them to other plans like Jenny Craig or weight watchers. Seeks a few out and email them. Tell them about yourself, what your goals are, and if they can help you reach them. My nutrition coach is listed on my profile. She wrote a great article on how to find the right nutrition coach for YOU.

When other people comment on how you don't need to lose weight or whatever .. just tell them you want to be the best YOU that you can be !! Everyone can understand that !!! Best of luck ....
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options

Sorry if that is going to come across as offensive. I'm not body shaming at all. I hate body negativity and I never judge others because of their weight. Just for me being heavier isn't comfortable. I'm sorry if that was taken out of context and I offended you or anyone else.

I was not offended. Just letting you know. Sorry if I came off as being in judgement of you. Good luck.
  • sarafit926
    sarafit926 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My weight yo-yoed all the time during college, so I totally know what you're going through! I don't think you have to tell anybody you're trying to diet or lose weight. Just start making healthier choices and they'll get it -- no need for an announcement. If they act weird and/or say you don't need to lose weight, just tell them it isn't a losing-weight thing, it's a feeling-healthier thing.

I'm trying to lose a similar amount. I started at 130, dropped to 124, and then had a very stressful January-February and stress-ate my way back up to 130. I'm trying to get down to 115 (I'm 5'2). My biggest advice is to plan what you'll eat every day and pack your lunch and snacks; also, try to exercise in the morning (even if it's wicked early). There are too many things that can come up later in the day and cut into your exercise time.

I hope that helps! Feel free to add me as a friend and we can hold each other accountable :)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options

Everyone has different goals. Some don't have as many pounds to lose, that doesn't mean they are wrong for the way they feel about themselves. Sorry if it offends you but this comment was really unnecessary, especially with the lack of any helpful advice.

Anonvl... I could say I gained the freshman 30!! :P I didn't watch what I ate, I stuffed myself, had very little time to exercise... I took it all off (and an extra 10lbs) in about 4-5 months by being REALLY diligent about eating. I tried exercise without changing my eating habits and it did nothing. While exercise is wonderful for fitness and it does help take the weight off, it really all comes down to diet. Fresh food, lots of protein (to keep you full, rather than empty carbs). I made myself a lot of delicious low-calorie soups that I could reheat for lunch or dinner.
  • anonvl
    Options
    @SecretLobster That's how I did it the last time but I'm hoping watching portion sizes, cutting out soda + sweet things and exercise will be enough to at least give me a start on it while working over the summer. As I said making my own food isn't really an option when I'm staying at work.
  • amc119
    amc119 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I was lucky and didn't gain the freshman 15 as I walked everywhere in college! But I gained the senior 30 in my last year because friends were moving away, getting married and they would just take me to class and I quit walking everywhere. Here I am still saying I'm going to lose it after a year and a half. I've lost part of it, at this point I'm more trying to tone and increase endurance over actually losing weight. My only advice to you is to eat as healthy as possible and work out. I would much rather lay on my couch or outside and read all day as opposed to working out. You just have to do it. Don't get down on yourself when you mess up from time to time, everyone does. Feel free to add me if you would like, and good luck!
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options

I was not offended. Just letting you know. Sorry if I came off as being in judgement of you. Good luck.

No worries. i am over 200 lbs and wondered why is she complaining. You were spot on.

Oh. And I don't dislike her, everyone has different goals..some easier.
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    My DH says he's "trying to be healthier" instead of "loosing weight"...

You can also drop any excuses - bring healthy snacks to work, make food ahead of time on the weekends, don't buy junky food, drink water instead of getting soda, take a walk when you crave a treat (you might just really need a desk break, not a food item).

Also, try doing mini exercises while working - the easiest one is just lifting your feet and sitting up straight - without your feet on the ground, your core has to support you.

Finally, don't let anyone tell you differently (as long as you are healthy) - if you think 125 is a good weight for you, then go there, your mom might be jealous!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Cutting out soda was a HUGE part of why I lost weight. I've seen a lot of people here who are also ex-soda drinkers (it doesn't mean we'll NEVER have a soda, it just isn't part of our daily life) and a lot happier for it. I think that will be a great change for you.
  • anonvl
    Options
    Cutting out soda was a HUGE part of why I lost weight. I've seen a lot of people here who are also ex-soda drinkers (it doesn't mean we'll NEVER have a soda, it just isn't part of our daily life) and a lot happier for it. I think that will be a great change for you.
    This is something I'm working on already. My next minor change is going to be cutting out candy. Maybe having it once a week or something instead of as a regular thing.
  • awheless21
    awheless21 Posts: 5
    Options
    we are very similar....I went to college to play soccer....and I did...for one year. haha....I decided I liked partying and just hanging out more. I went to college weighing about 139-142 lbs. But I was very small; wore about a 2-4. Then this weight just started piling on because it was the first time I'd never not played a sport. Usually I played a sport every season. So of course I poofed up....a lot. I got up to 180 lbs! It was insane. I'm down to 150 lbs. which feels so great compared to 180 lbs....and I feel SO much better! But I want my old 135-140 lb. hot body back. So here I am, I've been using this app for about a month and half. So if you need a motivated buddy on here just hit me up! I'm not lazy at all and I love to work out and watch my calories.