Looking For Fellow PCOSers

Options
I was recently diagnosed with PCOS and I'm starting to see that there are a lot of women on here with the same condition. I was just wondering how many of you are out there and how this site has helped you. Also, feel free to add me.

Replies

• Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Well, I have been diagnosed with it, but I don't suffer from all of the symptoms of it. This site has helped me lose 5.2 pounds in about a month. I had it set to losing 2 pounds per week, and adhered to my limits very well. I've actually just changed it (yesterday) to 1 1/2 pounds per week. Though I'd love to be losing 2 pounds per week, I'm not willing to risk slowing my metabolism to do it, and I wasn't quite losing what I was told I should be anyway.
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    i have PCOS and the symptoms have been severe for me. i gained over a hundred pounds in just a couple of years. taking it off has been a slow laborious process that is much harder for a cyster than for another woman. so don't be discouraged if your journey takes a little longer than you expect.
  • Halfangel
    Halfangel Posts: 49
    Options
    I have PCOS too. We do have to work harder, but it caaaan be done. And with less weight, I find the symptoms aren't as severe. Hang in there!
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with it when I was 14 so I know what a struggle it can be! Honestly I couldn't lose any weight until I got on Metformin to get my insulin resistance (usually goes with the PCOS) under control. I'm losing weight slowly but inches are coming off faster than pounds finally.
  • carrie3479
    carrie3479 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hiya, I also have PCOS (and Endo) so loosing weight has always been the bane of my life. I have had severe symptoms since I was 11, but only diagnosed 4 years ago! Just joined this site after a school chum recommended it. so fingers crossed it will kick start me. An old work friend had very severe symptoms and since loosing over 7 stone has seen them reduce dramatically. Best of luck xx
  • collarbonesfor2011
    Options
    I've been diagnosed with PCOS for almost a year now, but I think I've had it for around 2-3 years now. It took a while to diagnose it for me, though. It's always been pretty mild, thankfully, but that doesn't mean that I don't still get hit hard by some symptoms.

Thankfully, my doctor is weening me off of the Metformin now. I may be nearly PCOS free very soon :)
  • huntingforhipbones
    Options
    I was diagnosed with it when I was 14 so I know what a struggle it can be! Honestly I couldn't lose any weight until I got on Metformin to get my insulin resistance (usually goes with the PCOS) under control. I'm losing weight slowly but inches are coming off faster than pounds finally.

Same here. I'm 19 and was recently put on Metformin. There are lots of us cysters here ... just remember that slow and steady wins the race ;)
  • MissC787
    MissC787 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    PCOS is very common. I have several friends with it. One with a more severe case has had many troubles having a baby. She is still under going fertillity treatments. Good luck to all you ladies.
  • hightopps
    hightopps Posts: 26
    Options
    I also have PCOS and have struggled with my weight (amongst other things). I've noticed that as my weight's decreased (at one point, I was 220ish- am now 160ish), some of my symptoms aren't as bad.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

Ditto - except I was 17. Wow, 20 yrs ago! Low carb didn't work for me, nor did diet or exercise. Until I went on Metformin. Even then, no weight loss without hard work. It just made the hard work actually WORK.
  • jaimielee317
    Options
    I've been diagnosed for 8 years. trying to loose weight is a slow process been on Metformin for about a year now.
  • LMRoses
    LMRoses Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Another PCOSer here. I was diagnosed about eighteen months ago after several miscarriages, and put on metformin and the pill (for cycle regulation) right away. The weight has been very slow in coming of for me, but I do find with the weight I've lost, some of my symptoms have improved. Now my husband and I have decided we'd like to try for a baby again, so I've come off the pill and my cycles and acne are giving trouble -_- Oh well. Will just have to keep fighting the good fight.
  • Cgavigan
    Cgavigan Posts: 16
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS about 11 years ago when I started trying to get pregnant. I gained a little over 100lbs in about a year with no idea why! My ob/gyn finally figured it out, though I never got actual cysts, I just didn't ovulate and have insulin resistance. Even clomid alone didn't work for me until I lost a little weight. Unfortunately after the birth of my second child the weight all came back. I am more determined than ever to lose it now. Anyone here please feel free to add me. I'm (sorta) glad to know that there are others that are going through the same situations and that there is a support system here. Not glad that others have to deal with PCOS, but if we're out there we might as well be friends :)