sweating?

Options
When I go to the gym I spend 1 - 1.5 hours going between the bike, elliptical, crosstrainer and the stairmaster. (not all in one day I rotate) when I do this I sweat a ton! I am drenched by the time I'm done. I am wondering if this is just me. Other people at the gym don't seem to sweating as much as I do. I don't think it is because it is too warm at the gym. :blushing:

Replies

• truedecember
    truedecember Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I am the same way!! My shirt is always soaking wet... I'm sweatier than all of the men at the gym!!! I used to feel sooo self conscious about it, but I have decided it's a way to show I've been working hard :)
  • Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I personally don't feel like I've had a good workout unless I'm a disheveled sweaty mess:wink: so no, you're not alone! I say good for you! You know you're working hard! :flowerforyou:
  • twilight1542
    Options
    Me too! I consider it a sign of being well hydrated & I'm definitely not the only person at my gym who sweats like that either :p)
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    15 minutes on the stairclimber at level 10? I'm dripping sweat, literally, with sweat puddles on the bars from my hands. So no, you aren't the only one. :flowerforyou:
  • mtcountrygal
    Options
    I leave in a big sweaty mess! I usually don't even notice it until I see my reflection in the mirror as I switch machines! :noway: Then I'm like "OMG"!!!!!!!! Oh well!!!!! I'm happy, so who cares?! :laugh:
  • MollySue30
    MollySue30 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I am the same way...when I see my trainer by the time I am done with her I am soaked!!! I think that it is a good thing that my body is working hard....

I just remember to go home and take a shower afterwards!!!
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I'm super with you! I had a baby in February and I'm hoping part of it are my hormones readjusting b/c I'll sweat for no reason! Or I'm cold when it's 70 plus and sweating when it's 50 - 60 out explain that! And I'm not even getting started on when I'm excercising! Although I have noticed that as I keep losing weight I sweat less and less
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    That's me. I used to be really self-conscious about it, but hell, if I look hot because of it, awesome!

...though awkward sweat spots still suck no matter what.
  • weasleman42
    Options
    I also sweat a lot. If it bothers you, bring a couple extra shirts. Good luck!
  • kqxx10
    kqxx10 Posts: 2
    Options
    If you are self conscious about the amount of sweat then wipe it off with a towel. Also don't wear gray because that noticeably shows sweat. Wear clothes not made of cotton, such as those made from polyester. Nike Dry Fit provides great workout gear.
  • tlapdx72
    tlapdx72 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for posting. I am glad I'm not the only one lol. I guess if the end result is getting to my goal weight, then I can deal with buckets of sweat lol. I alway tell myself that the sweat is my fat melting off lol. Good luck to all :flowerforyou:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Some people naturally perspire more than others, but increased sweating is a natural adaptation and a sign of improved fitness--or at least improved heat acclimation.

There is a tendency to think that it's the out of shape people who "sweat" and the fit people just "glisten", but that ain't the case.

Sweating is a key component (THE key component) of your body's cooling system. Sweat coats the skin and the process of evaporation cools the blood as it circulates--like a radiator. One of the reasons why we overheat so easily during humid weather is that the water vapor saturating the air impedes sweat evaporation.

As you become more fit and as you acclimatize to a hotter environment (e.g. seasonal changes if you exercise outside), you become more efficient at sweating. You sweat more. However, while the volume of sweat increases, it becomes more dilute, so you don't lose any more salt than you did before.

If you are exercising indoors on a machine and not moving in space, you will also sweat more. Not only because the perspiration all drips in one place, but because you lose the effects of convection.

If you ever experience (god forbid) an extended layoff from exercise, you will notice this acclimation effect when you start back up.

I lose anywhere from 3-5 lbs of water during a workout, which is pretty typical for a guy my size, I suspect. (Too bad that can't be a permanent loss) :cry: