Really struggling

Options
Somedays I do really well then I like go off the range and eat everything in sight. Lately I have been picking up fast food and discard the packaging before I get home. I have just reconnected with an aunt that I have not seen since I was a child. It brought up all sorts of issues when she asked about our family. Just rehashing it brings up years of sexual abuse, being abandoned and also the recent death of my paranoid schizohenric mother.
I always used food as comfort, sometimes it was all I had.I also use the weight to hide behind ... was told as a child that he abused me because I was such a pretty little girl. I have really been thinking of going back into therapy because I am not sure I can lose the weight without facing the demons that drive the eating. I swear if their was a way to electro shock those memories from my brain I would do it. I play back the old tapes in my head that tell me that "you are worthless and no one in the world loves you". That is what my mom used to tell us when she was threatening to abondon us...this started when I was 10 yrs old.
Sometimes I think I will be fat all my life and I just need to let that hope of losing weight go. I have my 30th class reunion coming up next month and I am seriously thinking of not going. I hate to face those people at 250lbs. I was about 175lbs in school and despite all the hell I had going on I was president of several clubs and commander of a unit in the JROTC and played on several sport team.. plus made good grades. At school I played a part I wanted my life to be then I went home to the reality of what I had there.
I am fairly successful in life in most things ... top grad in nursing school and most consider me the best nurse they have ever worked with. I take excellent care of my patients and their families walking them through the dying process as a hospice nurse.
I made contact with this long lost aunt last week and have been eating like crazy. But I had been having trouble for more than a month staying on track.
Not sure how to get back on track. I am so tired of being fat and my body hurts, had back surgery a few yrs ago and it helped briefly. But when you weight 250 lbs and you carry weight like an apple the back suffers.
I think I just wanted to post this as a way to hold myself accountable. If I say it out loud I am not stuffing it inside.
A friend once wrote... What you eat in private WILL show up in public. My body screams that I have problems. I pray I can start dealing with them.

Replies

• emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    Maybe I can help a 'littttle' bit.. I have no idea what you are going through with your family.. but I can say that food releases dopmine.. and makes you feel good. That is why it comforts you! I have a similar problem with night time snacks. Find something else that makes you feel good =) Keep a journal maybe.. Try stretching or grabbing a veggie when you feel the need to go sneak a snack =)

You are being honest and admitting it! That is good! Just gotta fight through it <3
  • mcwhit
    mcwhit Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I really like what you wrote here: "What you eat in private WILL show up in public." SO TRUE!!!

I wish you the best of luck. You can totally do this!!! Feel free to add me for support :)
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Hi Debbie,

I'm sorry to "hear" you are having such a hard time. Did therapy help you previously? If so, maybe you should start again just to give yourself an outlet. It sounds like you have the whole world on your shoulders - I think you are right and you need to take time for yourself and address the issues that drive you to comfort food. Maybe after you win that battle you can place your full attention on the physical loss you want. I wish you the best of luck!!
  • evilmonkee
    evilmonkee Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear that you're going through that. I cannot imagine how hard it must be to open old wounds.
    While I cannot claim to know how you feel, I am also an emotional eater, and I get where you are coming from.
    For me, what helped me was realizing that food does make me feel better temporarily, it doesn't actually fix any problems. Unless the problem is actual physical hunger, eating mindlessly until I feel numb is not going to solve anything. It cannot fix emotional, financial, family, or social problems. It's not even the proverbial crutch, because in the long run it makes those problems worse.

Are you open to seeing a therapist or a counselor of some kind? Counseling helped me a lot. If you cannot or don't want to see a therapist, some church ministers and pastors are also trained to deal with former physical and emotional abuse victims, and many areas have support groups for survivors.
  • debbieHOC
    debbieHOC Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am open to going back to therapy and even told my husband this last week that I may need to start again. Finding my Aunt Vickie online after all these years has turned my emotions upside down. I got so angry last night while ansering her email. Just going back thru the death of my mom and the issues growing up opens everything like it is a festering wound.

I got into nursing because I am good at helping people. No matter what craizness I get thrown into with a family I handle it without much trouble. I guess their are perks to going through so much as a kid. Not much that I come across I haven't been through before. We were abused sexually, mentally, physically and psychologically as children. In many ways it has made me an excellent nurse. I don't judge my patients or their families. I can meet them on their level and walk them through the dying process so they can find closure. I think the biggest reason I do hospice is that I can not bear to think of someone dying alone... waiting for someone to come and they never show up. Sometimes we are their only family at the end.

When we were abandoned as kids my mom had tried to commit suicide and they put her in a mental hospital for several months. We ranged from jr high to high school and I remember my great uncle and the priest coming to the house to tell us what happened. And most importantly not to tell anyone..to just go to school as if nothing was wrong. I had my bags packed for 3 weeks so I would be ready for whenever someone showed up to take us home with them. I didn't want to be a problem by making them wait for me to get my stuff. I remember thinking it would be embarassing when THEY showed up because they would know about our crazy mom. No understand that i had 3 sets of aunts and uncles living, my dad, our godparents and one set of grandparents. No one came. After 3 weeks I put my things away and continued to go to school.

Mom was in the hospital for quite a while and I had to take my report card to the hospital for her to sign so I could take it back to school. Her writing was terrible and I remember thinking someone will notice and ask me about it and I will have to tell. No one asked. Into her 2nd or 3rd month there I would drive to visit her and I took my little brother. On the way back home I stopped at the store for some sugar and ran into that great uncle who had originally told me to not tell anyone. He jumped all over me for being irresponsible for wasting gas to visit my mom and spending money on 5 lbs of sugar. I was furious but didn't say anthing.

Who in the HELL did he think he was calling me irresponsible. I was a teenager, getting her 3 brothers up for school and cooking all the meals, maintaining a 3.5 GPA while NOT telling anyone our dark secret. I told my first therapist that I knew she told us she didn't love us but she was all we had. She may have been crazy but I knew no one else was coming for us ... so yes I went to visit her. I was desperate for her to get better and come home. Seeing my Aunt has opened this up like it is fresh again. I have found myself fighting tears.

When I was growing up I never showed anger... and lately I feel so angry and hurt that I feel out of control. My mom died last Sept and I stayed and cared for her then setting up all the funeral stuff. At least my little brother 1/2 the exprenses with me. My uncle Ed that was married to this aunt I just found was the one who got my brothers smoing pot in elementary school then when my mom was on her death bed he refused to talk to her. I am so angry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One of my fellow nurses told me I was still mourning the loss of every getting my mom back to the way she was before she was mentally ill and so mean to us. I guess I always held out hope that she would love us again. Mental illness is so cruel - not only to the pt but to the loved ones as well. We all suffered with her. And our child brains could not process the complexities of her illness and we couldn't filter her madness and harsh words.

If I was counseling a family that told me all this I would encourage therapy and I would pray they would not be so hard on themselves. To seek healing and forgiveness... for themselves and their family. I would educ them on mental illness and tell them that no one chooses to be a paranoid schizophrenic - that it is a chemical imbalance in their brain and they couldn't help it. And that a child is never responsible for the sexual abuse that happens to them. I know the shame that goes with that. I have come to realize that although I may not have invited that abuse but your body will respond to sexual stimulation and then they have you ... cause they make you feel responsible for it.

I was never going to have children because I never felt I had the tools for it. I was also terrified - what if I became an abuser myself. My therapist told me that since I acknowledged that possibility and even had fears of it that it made her feel safe that I would never do it to a child. The majority of sexual abuse victims become protectors not offenders. But at 23 I gave birth to a son and he has been a blessing. He is the kindest, sweetest young man you could ever hope for. He is smart and witty and so handsome... he is a slob but if that is all I can complain about - I hit the lottery with him. I told him later that all I knew going into this was what not to do. Now I made mistakes... and he is a slob because I did way too much for him... I think I did that because I had so much responsibility growing up.

Thanks for allowing me to ramble on for so long... it has been a really tough day.
    Deb
  • Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options
    You have been strong for a very long time. No wonder it's getting hard to control--you've held out so long against it and never gave yourself the chance to grieve.

I agree that going back to therapy might help you to get the out of control feelings OUT of you so you can focus on being healthy and continue offering the love to your husband and son that you have, but also to give yourself that love--you deserve it!

Journaling might help, too. When the feelings seem to be bursting out of you, rather than getting food, pull out the journal and write it all out. That can be just for you, so you can write all the things you have been thinking and feeling for so long.

Peace to your heart. I hope you will find your way through. I know you can succeed--like I said, you've been strong for a very long time, and you can keep being strong. Just remember you deserve a break, too.
  • edsuzy
    edsuzy Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, Debbie. Bless your heart! I know the feelings you're having - the self-loathing, feeling you're worhless, feeling like it's better to stop trying lose the weight than to let your thoughts of failure beat you up. I lived thru that till I got up to 290 pounds.

The only thing to drown out those thoughts was to say to myself a MILLION times a day that God loves me unconditionally & I receive His love. It sounds like you have been hurting for a long time. He is the only one Who can take that hurt. Once you realize that YOU are worth something, it will be tremendously easier to stay on plan. That's not to say that it will be easy but you won't have to beat yourself up if you fall off the wagon. He'll be there to help you back up!

Godspeed!
  • specialkyc
    specialkyc Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Debbie, it just breaks my heart to hear that any human being, especially a child, has had to endure so much pain. I wish I had advice to give you, but I can't even begin to imagine how you're feeling. I think therapy may be the best thing you can do for yourself. You realize that there's a problem and that's the first and biggest step. May God bless you to continue to be strong and get the help you are so deserving of.
  • mummma
    mummma Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    i live (not suffer) with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder as a result of domestic violence. i know its not the same. but the memories, the flash back etc etc etc ... i know how hard it is to live with.

just wanted to send you some love :) x
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Hi Deb, I don`t add `friends` because I do not feel that I need them on my personal journey to lose weight.

But I hope that you would add me as your friend to help you get through your weight loss journey.

If you choose not to then that is just fine...but I would like to help you get your life back on track :-)
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Seeing that aunt had to be painful. I can't imagine. I think you are right about seeing a therapist again. If it helped you before, don't be afraid to go back! Deb, I think you are an amazing woman. You are so strong! With what you have gone through, you are still standing. That alone for some would be a major accomplishment You have a husband and a child and a career. You are eloquent and accomplished. And you are able to talk about it all. :flowerforyou: You really are amazing!
  • debbieHOC
    debbieHOC Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    just an update. .. will see primary MD on friday to discuss anti-depressants and will be calling today to try to set up meeting a counselor to deal with the abuse in my past. I know I have to address the root reason I overeat and having been so down. Once I get these issues turning around so will the weight. I actually feel a little better already by just taking some steps to address these issues.

Thanks for all your words of encouragement. .. it really did help me.

Deb