Food challenges while on vacation

Options
My husband and I will be traveling abroad this summer to Ireland and are wondering what type of food challenges await us there. We have lost 61 pounds between us right now and still have a ways to go. We want to keep on track, even while on vacation. We know we will be hit with pub after pub :drinker: and will have to be careful there! Any suggestions for keeping track of our calories? We will most likely be eating the majority of our meals in restaurants. It's easy at home to do this, but we are unsure of how it will be while gone out of the country. This is a two week trip as well. Celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary!! :love: Thanks for any input!

Replies

• skinnylion
    skinnylion Posts: 213
    Options
    I've heard that there are a lot less restaurants in Ireland/Scotland compared to the U.S. You probably won't be bombarded by eateries, and the pubs etc will most likely have healthier "home style" food choices rather than anything too high in calories. I wouldn't worry about it, just try to pick healthy things off the menu and stop eating when you get full!

Have fun and enjoy yourselves!
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    It is good to get an idea of what local food nutritional values are -- so good on you.

But what I remember about Scotland is not so much the food (which is not surprising, no offense Scots), but that you do a lot more walking there.

So my advice is to wear your pedometer or hrm. It may make the different between a half or a full pint.
  • chrissayya
    chrissayya Posts: 28
    Options
    I lived in Ireland for a summer, was amazing, loved it! And actually lost a few pounds (though I did have an apt with a kitchen) Anyways, you'll be walking a lot so try to keep track of your exercise..I remember eating a lot of vegetable soup and brown bread at the pubs for lunch..which I think was relatively healthy..porridge was often an option for breakfast too! Happy Anniversary and enjoy!
  • loobloo87
    loobloo87 Posts: 7
    Options
    Im Scottish and have been over to Ireland twice. Its just like any other country in the world, you will have healthy things on the menu and unhealthy things. Scotland and Ireland are big on their fried breakfasts but I am assuming you will avoid these and alot of irish recipes are potato based so if your watching carbs then you will have to watch out. The biggest problem with going to Ireland is the amount of drinking you do, and being a scot i do love a drink but just avoid the guiness (its like a meal in a glass, but oh so yummy) and its like any other pub. Have fun, its an amazing country but you should have come to Scotland for a week also, most beautiful country ive been to (but then i may be biased).
  • laurak56
    laurak56 Posts: 14
    Options
    Thank you so much for your response! I will definitely take into consideration your suggestions!
  • laurak56
    Options
    I WILL take my Heart Monitor! Great suggestion! I guess if I monitor my walking, I can have that pint!! Thanks for your suggestions!
  • laurak56
    Options
    Thank you so much for your response! I will definitely take my walking shoes!! And I will look for that vegetable soup in the pubs! (Do they serve beer with that?) LOL!
  • laurak56
    Options
    Scotland is my DREAM trip. It was tough to get my husband to Ireland; so maybe next trip to Scotland!! We are golfers and would love to try out some of the courses there! I will take my walking shoes and be careful of the guiness! I like the meal in a glass comment!! Thanks for your input!!