HELP.......STUCK!!

Options
2»

Replies

• jmm27
    jmm27 Posts: 34
    Options
    Is that net calories after exercise?

If you calculate the TDEE, that already includes the calories you would burn based on your activity level. So you would use gross calories. Some people calculate their TDEE, set their calorie intake be that number (its always higher since it includes exercise calories), then they workout, log it and then eat their workout calories back. Big Mistake... And they wonder why they arnt losing weight. If they would just not eat those workout calories, they would be fine.

(not going out to anyone in particular- just a little rant)
    It makes me sick to my stomach to see women starving themselves to be skinny. They are hurting themselves and mistreating their body. You will NOT continue to lose weight if you are calorie deficient, at first maybe but I promise it will plateau and you will be frustrated. Ive been there, done that. Plus girls need to realize that Strong is the new Skinny :)
  • ermickel
    ermickel Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds insane but you are not eating enough. Go to fat 2 fit and use the calculators provided to get your BMR (what you burn just by breathing). You should be eating those NO MATTER what! If you dont, you will lose weight at first but it wont last for long. Since you are doing a lot of physical activity too, you'll need to make sure you dont get calorie deficient. Make sure you know your TDEE (it depends on the amount of exercise you do daily). Its safe to cut 500 calories so you will lose 1 lb a week. So if it says your BMR is 1450 and your activity level is very active allowing you 2380 daily calories, its ok to cut 500 from that and eat 1880. Always eat your BMR + at a minimum 200 more. I know it sounds crazy but to lose more, you have to eat more. Good luck :)

So I just did this and my moderately active BMR is 2227. Are you saying I should cut 500 from that making my net calories per day around 1727? Look at my diary I only net about 1200 per day. I am not sure what foods to even add to get that higher calorie amount...suggestions? I have been stuck for 3 weeks now and getting pretty discouraged!!

Kimsimm hit the nail on the head. Dont add sugar or pork bacon. Eat clean. Remember you are what you eat. If you wanted to add more calories, a tbsp of peanut butter would do the job and give you protein. I eat the pb2 in regular and in chocolate and its delightful! If you calculated your TDEE (2227) then remember that already takes into account calories you would burn exercising. You would be on the path to lose 1 lb a week if you ate 1727 a day with moderate exercise. Just be sure to not go below your BMR (Harris-Benedict Formula from the fat 2 fit site). You dont want to lose muscle, you want your muscle to eat your fat. So you need to feed your muscles, lean and green. :)

Ok so the TDEE is the number at the bottom where you consider your activity right? When you say do not eat below your BMR that is the number they give you before excercise right? Do you watch your fat and carbs? Do you just trust this or do you wear a heart rate monitor? Do you work out everyday or take days off? Sorry for so many questions... I am completely comitted to this journey! I WILL figure out what works for me. :smile:
  • jmm27
    jmm27 Posts: 34
    Options
    I know it sounds insane but you are not eating enough. Go to fat 2 fit and use the calculators provided to get your BMR (what you burn just by breathing). You should be eating those NO MATTER what! If you dont, you will lose weight at first but it wont last for long. Since you are doing a lot of physical activity too, you'll need to make sure you dont get calorie deficient. Make sure you know your TDEE (it depends on the amount of exercise you do daily). Its safe to cut 500 calories so you will lose 1 lb a week. So if it says your BMR is 1450 and your activity level is very active allowing you 2380 daily calories, its ok to cut 500 from that and eat 1880. Always eat your BMR + at a minimum 200 more. I know it sounds crazy but to lose more, you have to eat more. Good luck :)

So I just did this and my moderately active BMR is 2227. Are you saying I should cut 500 from that making my net calories per day around 1727? Look at my diary I only net about 1200 per day. I am not sure what foods to even add to get that higher calorie amount...suggestions? I have been stuck for 3 weeks now and getting pretty discouraged!!

Kimsimm hit the nail on the head. Dont add sugar or pork bacon. Eat clean. Remember you are what you eat. If you wanted to add more calories, a tbsp of peanut butter would do the job and give you protein. I eat the pb2 in regular and in chocolate and its delightful! If you calculated your TDEE (2227) then remember that already takes into account calories you would burn exercising. You would be on the path to lose 1 lb a week if you ate 1727 a day with moderate exercise. Just be sure to not go below your BMR (Harris-Benedict Formula from the fat 2 fit site). You dont want to lose muscle, you want your muscle to eat your fat. So you need to feed your muscles, lean and green. :)

Ok so the TDEE is the number at the bottom where you consider your activity right? When you say do not eat below your BMR that is the number they give you before excercise right? Do you watch your fat and carbs? Do you just trust this or do you wear a heart rate monitor? Do you work out everyday or take days off? Sorry for so many questions... I am completely comitted to this journey! I WILL figure out what works for me. :smile:

Yea the TDEE is the one that considers the activity. BMR is the number you get first (Harris Benedict). I dont watch fat and carbs as much as some people do. You have to find what works for you. I do wear a heart rate monitor when I workout just so I can track my workouts. Some days if I dont do as difficult as a workout, Ill adjust my calories accordingly. I usually do some sort of workout everyday. I do Insanity, walk/run with my dogs, mow the yard, ride my bike or play sports. It just depends, but I cant stand to not do some sort of activity everyday. Its almost like an addiction lol, I just feel so good after a hard workout. But I do have days where I go easier, you have to let your body recover. I recommend Insanity to everyone, I loved it and Im still incorporating the workouts in my weekly exercises. I have the pdf copy of the nutrition guide if you want me to send it to you. It has some awesome recipes and really breaks down the calorie intake, BMR and TDEE. You can do it and your right you have to do what works for you (everyone is different)! Just remember, dont just depend of the scale for your progress. Measurements are the best way to track progress.
  • ermickel
    ermickel Posts: 167 Member
    Options

Yea the TDEE is the one that considers the activity. BMR is the number you get first (Harris Benedict). I dont watch fat and carbs as much as some people do. You have to find what works for you. I do wear a heart rate monitor when I workout just so I can track my workouts. Some days if I dont do as difficult as a workout, Ill adjust my calories accordingly. I usually do some sort of workout everyday. I do Insanity, walk/run with my dogs, mow the yard, ride my bike or play sports. It just depends, but I cant stand to not do some sort of activity everyday. Its almost like an addiction lol, I just feel so good after a hard workout. But I do have days where I go easier, you have to let your body recover. I recommend Insanity to everyone, I loved it and Im still incorporating the workouts in my weekly exercises. I have the pdf copy of the nutrition guide if you want me to send it to you. It has some awesome recipes and really breaks down the calorie intake, BMR and TDEE. You can do it and your right you have to do what works for you (everyone is different)! Just remember, dont just depend of the scale for your progress. Measurements are the best way to track progress.

Thanks for all the iput I do appreciate it!! I am going tp have my hubby hide the scale!
  • caegem
    caegem Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    sorry guys, i fixed my settings to public! Anyway, I thank you all for the advice!
  • caegem
    Options
    no actually they didnt. is that something they can do??
  • caegem
    Options
    already ha my thyroid checked out! It is aparently "fine", authough it doesnt feel fine, I seriously was thinking that was the problem, thats why it took three Doctors to finally get in to see an endocrinologist!! Grrrrrrrrrrrr!
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    MORE FOOD
  • caegem
    Options
    Well I was eating back my excercise calories and not losing, so i thought i would try just the 1200 cals, it worked awesome last week, i lost 2 lbs, but this wekk when i jumped on the scale i was up a lb and almost screamed..........felt like flinging that dam scale out the window and watching it smash into a zillion little peices!! LOL This slow progress is really jacking with my psychy!! I will try, eating more and im going to give up fruit completly this week............we shall see.....
  • sniperzzzz
    sniperzzzz Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Do you drink tea or coffee milk soda? You do realise that you should be logging everything even milk in coffee the coffee itself.
    To most people the little things like milk & sugar in your coffee they think don't matter but when you add it all up for the week, it becomes enough to cause problems. I would suggest you log absolutely everything. measure it weigh it down to the ml to the gram, that is if your not already, and give another week before you change anything. One more thing if you use the mfp bar code scanner double check it against the food or drink packaging its not always correct.
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone here that the calories are too low.

Other reasons; thyroid, too much soy and things that interfere with hormones/metabolism. Artificial Sweetners, etc. Even though docs say you are fine, it can take years to get a thyroid diagnosis. But I'm sure it's just you need about 400-600 more calories per day.

It took 8 years of doctors saying I was fine to get a diagnosis...docs honestly aren't that educated on it, so avoid soy like the plague if you suspect it and any goitrogens (google it).
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Well I was eating back my excercise calories and not losing, so i thought i would try just the 1200 cals, it worked awesome last week, i lost 2 lbs, but this wekk when i jumped on the scale i was up a lb and almost screamed..........felt like flinging that dam scale out the window and watching it smash into a zillion little peices!! LOL This slow progress is really jacking with my psychy!! I will try, eating more and im going to give up fruit completly this week............we shall see.....

Do you know that your weight can fluctuate several pounds in one day just from water retention and such? Really, one pound shouldn't cause that kind of extreme reaction. I've varied as much as 5 lbs from one day to the next.
  • sniperzzzz
    Options
    Here we go again with the you need to eat more calories crew! :yawn:
  • caegem
    Options
    coffee.............yeah i drink, a cup or two a day it but its black! I never drink soda, and i gave up the splenda about 6 months ago,because i read that it "tricks" your body into producing more insulin.....so im not logging coffee, and tea which i also drink black, i log under my water intake because its decaf..
  • sniperzzzz
    Options
    How long you been stuck?
    Edit ok i see you said months lol
    Well if your not losing, and logging everything accurately, then you need to lower your calories until you do start losing its as simple as that. Lower by 200 a day, give it two weeks then see where you are. The choice is yours you don't have to take my advice.
    If you want increase them then feel free to do that, its either up or down you have to try one or the other.
  • caegem
    Options
    OK new strategy.....y'all say im not eating enough, and i have one saying i need to eat less.........SIGH, under 1200 is pretty brutal, and really not compatible with life!! Im a pretty active person, and I find the 1200 challenging enough, this is a lifechange and under 1000 would mean certain "FAILURE", because I know i couldnt sustain it for long......I tend to agree with the folks who say more is better, but I also think i need to change "what" im eating and when. I read an interesting article on calorie cycling, and im gonna try it this week........WISH ME LUCK!!
  • caegem
    Options
    OK two weeks of trying to calorie cycle, and I have not lost a dam thing! I am working out harder than ever, and ZERO results! Even my measurements this month were disolusioning.............AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :sad: I honestly dont know what else to do! I even ordered some ambrin which i started today......maybe its horemones??? IDK IDK IDK!! At this rate I am still gonna be 175lbs in october when i get married, and ill be nude because my dam dress doesnt fit on my FAT SELF!
  • sniperzzzz
    Options
    Ok if your still not losing, and you have been as strict as you say, then maybe its time for a break for a few weeks, it certainly wont hurt your progress. Have a read of this http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html