Low Blood Sugar in Morning

Hi,
Does anyone else have to eat first thing in the morning? If I don't eat first thing my blood sugar drops and I get nauseus and sick to my stomach (NO, I'm not pregnant). I wake up at 6:30AM and have to have a Slim Fast or a yogurt. Then I eat breakfast around 8:30. Therefore I've consumed about 500 calories before 9:00AM!!! I've been able to stay at or slightly above my 1,200 calories (using my exercise calories) but I do get hungry in the afternoon and evening (but I don't eat). Anyone have any suggestions?
P.S. I was tested for low iron, thyroid and diabetes; all negative. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else deals with this.
Thanks, and have a great day!:smile::smile:

Replies

• mickie
    mickie Posts: 183
    Hi,
    Does anyone else have to eat first thing in the morning? If I don't eat first thing my blood sugar drops and I get nauseus and sick to my stomach (NO, I'm not pregnant). I wake up at 6:30AM and have to have a Slim Fast or a yogurt. Then I eat breakfast around 8:30. Therefore I've consumed about 500 calories before 9:00AM!!! I've been able to stay at or slightly above my 1,200 calories (using my exercise calories) but I do get hungry in the afternoon and evening (but I don't eat). Anyone have any suggestions?
    P.S. I was tested for low iron, thyroid and diabetes; all negative. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else deals with this.
    Thanks, and have a great day!:smile::smile:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Can I ask how you know your blood sugar is low? Are you testing?
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    This is a sign of physical hunger, and means that your metabolism is operating in high gear.

Might I suggest that you eat later in the previous day? This could be a big sign that 1200 calories is too little for you to be going on. If you have less to lose, your calorie deficit doesn't need to be as large.

If you're not highly overweight, your body simply doesn't have the fat stores to draw energy from. Please consider eating at least your bmr calories everyday.

:flowerforyou:
  • You could be at the other end of the scale. Not diabetic by hypoglycemic.The only way to REALLY know if for your dr to test you while you are having these feelings ( sick to your stomach , nausea, ect..) This is the hypoglycemia support foundation they have a simple test there that may help in deciding to get your dr to test you or not. Hope this helps a little. http://www.hypoglycemia.org/hypo_test.asp
  • mickie
    Can I ask how you know your blood sugar is low? Are you testing?
    No, I'm not diabetic so I don't test. I just assume it's my blood sugar because once I eat I feel 100% better. It happens to me at all times of the day (less frequently) and I feel better once I eat.
  • mickie
    You could be at the other end of the scale. Not diabetic by hypoglycemic.The only way to REALLY know if for your dr to test you while you are having these feelings ( sick to your stomach , nausea, ect..) This is the hypoglycemia support foundation they have a simple test there that may help in deciding to get your dr to test you or not. Hope this helps a little. http://www.hypoglycemia.org/hypo_test.asp
    I never thought about that. I will look up the website. THANKS!:happy:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    I'd check with your doctor. For me--as a diabetic-- low blood sugar means I feel disorientated, kind of loopy, vision might blur, headache sometimes, feel like I might pass out but I've never felt like I was physically sick to stomach or something. You might be different though.

Best to check with doctor to be safe.
  • Cassia
    Cassia Posts: 467 Member
    I get this all the time if i wake up really early (to go on a trip or something) at like 4:00 am. I HAVE to eat soon or i get really sick.
    sometimes I'll get it even when it like only 6 but only if i didn't get enough sleep that night.
    If you figure something out tell me :tongue:
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    You could be at the other end of the scale. Not diabetic by hypoglycemic.The only way to REALLY know if for your dr to test you while you are having these feelings ( sick to your stomach , nausea, ect..) This is the hypoglycemia support foundation they have a simple test there that may help in deciding to get your dr to test you or not. Hope this helps a little. http://www.hypoglycemia.org/hypo_test.asp
    I never thought about that. I will look up the website. THANKS!:happy:

If you were tested for thyroids and your doctor didn't mention anything you're probably ok with that.
    You don't have much to loose (~10lbs, just like me) so probably at this stage it would be better for you to eat a bit more. Check your BMR and set your goal close to this level. That's what I did (now I'm at 1450cals/day) and I feel much better and I'm still loosing. It goes off slowly but it does :smile:
    Read the post about stages by Banks.
    I can tell you that when I was having less calories I was sooo hungry in the morning I couldn't think of anything else and I HAD TO eat in the first hour after I got up. Usually I eat 75% of my calories before 2pm. If I'm hungry in the evening I let myself have a snack and then in the morning I'm not that hungry. I think being very hungry is not good for loosing weight. There's a great article you should definitely read:
    http://www.fitsense.co.uk/fit_article.php?id=100
  • I actually have struggled for years with reactive hypoglycemia. I now can control it with diet, but definately put something in your stomach first thing and last thing. I use fat free milk. As a woman I need 3 servings of dairy a day anyway, so I just start with a glass and end with a glass (or yogurt, whichever i'm in the mood for). Also, make sure that you eat several times a day and please, do not believe that you "can't" eat after 6 PM, anyone who is diabetic, or hypoglycemic, has thyroid issues or any other metabolic or endocrine issue will tell you, you have to eat smart. Most importantly, listen to your body. It knows what it needs.
  • mickie
    I actually have struggled for years with reactive hypoglycemia. I now can control it with diet, but definately put something in your stomach first thing and last thing. I use fat free milk. As a woman I need 3 servings of dairy a day anyway, so I just start with a glass and end with a glass (or yogurt, whichever i'm in the mood for). Also, make sure that you eat several times a day and please, do not believe that you "can't" eat after 6 PM, anyone who is diabetic, or hypoglycemic, has thyroid issues or any other metabolic or endocrine issue will tell you, you have to eat smart. Most importantly, listen to your body. It knows what it needs.
    I heard on Oprah that you shouldn't eat after 6 or 7 and that if you're hungry it's just your body using up it's fat stores. However, it makes a lot of sense to have a light snack before I go to bed. Maybe I won't be so nauseus when I wake up! THANKS!