What am I doing wrong, please help :)

Options
Okay so I have been on the 1200 calorie diet on MyFitnessPal for 8 weeks. Everyday when I finish my diary, it says I'll be a certain weight in 5 weeks, and I'm nowhere near it. I don't go over on calories and work out 5-6 days a week. Can anyone give me any advice on what to do? I'm not giving up at all, I just wish I was seeing numbers closer to what my diary says. Thanks so much :)

Replies

• debzv
    debzv Posts: 23
    Options
    Hi, this is a very common problem. Look up previous posts, you will see this question has come up ALOT and ppl have provided very detailed answers. In basic, 1200 calories is generally way too low, you need to eat more. And you MUST eat back your exercise calories.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Hi, this is a very common problem. Look up previous posts, you will see this question has come up ALOT and ppl have provided very detailed answers. In basic, 1200 calories is generally way too low, you need to eat more. And you MUST eat back your exercise calories.

This! You are not always getting to 1200 and you don't appear to be eating back your execise calories. You are in a stall because you are severely undereating.
  • bbshell0219
    bbshell0219 Posts: 32
    Options
    I want to eat more, but I'm scared of gaining weight. I've changed my diet to a more balanced one from pretty much eating cereal 3 times a day.
  • tawny2727
    tawny2727 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Trust me, you have to eat more. I was in the same situation and so frustrated. I started to eat more and I lost weight. (personally I have lowered my carbs and that has helped a lot)

Breakfast: Veggie Omelet or Smoothie

Lunch: Vegan burger w/veggies or Ground Chicken w/Cheese & Salsa

Dinner: Chicken, Brown Rice (usually a mexican dish) Salsa, Multigrain Tortilla or Chicken & Veggies

Snacks: Fruit or Yogurt or Almonds, etc.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Trust me, you have to eat more. I was in the same situation and so frustrated. I started to eat more and I lost weight. (personally I have lowered my carbs and that has helped a lot)

Breakfast: Veggie Omelet or Smoothie

Lunch: Vegan burger w/veggies or Ground Chicken w/Cheese & Salsa

Dinner: Chicken, Brown Rice (usually a mexican dish) Salsa, Multigrain Tortilla or Chicken & Veggies

Snacks: Fruit or Yogurt or Almonds, etc.

How long did you add cals and keep carbs the same for? How long did you reduce carbs for?
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Eating back your exercise calories fules your workouts, it doesn't negate them. Try it for a few weeks. You have nothing to lose by trying!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Eat more food. 2000 calories is the average for the average woman, so I'm sure you can eat more than 1200 in nutritious whole foods and lose weight. Go to www.fat2fitradio.com/tools, plug your numbers into BMR/Calorie calculator and pull the appropriate number according to your activity level from the bottom of the page.
  • brenott
    brenott Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Eating more has worked for me. I was eating the calories suggested by the MFP website and continued to gain and lose the same two pounds for two months. I then increased my calories to my BMR, and lost 5lbs in two weeks.
  • Aquaduckie
    Aquaduckie Posts: 115
    Options
    You will get a lot of good information with the group here on MFP called Eat More to Lose More (or eat more to weigh less...) Anyway, like the other posters have said, you need to eat more. Your body needs fuel for your workouts! Your metabolism is like a fire. You have to feed it in order for it to burn efficiently. If you don't feed it, it doesn't burn as hot, and you don't lose weight.
    For me, 1200 calories just wasn't enough. I started eating closer to 1500 sometimes more if when I exercise and the weight is coming off. Not super quickly, but it is coming off about 1 lb a weel. I know most people want quicker results, but slow and steady wins the race. It also teaches you long term healthy habits to follow so you don't gain the weight back. Good luck! You're definitely not alone!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I want to eat more, but I'm scared of gaining weight. I've changed my diet to a more balanced one from pretty much eating cereal 3 times a day.

I completely understand but if you keep doing what you are doing, you'll keep getting what you have.
  • threasarenee
    threasarenee Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I am by no means an expert, but you have to eat MORE calories. I'm not saying go out and eat a cheeseburger and fries to get in more calories, I'm saying eat high calorie good for you foods and that should help. First thing you need to do is find out what your BMR is. That is what your body burns while you are doing NOTHING. NEVER eat less than that amount! Then find out what your TDEE is. That is what your body burns from your activity level. If you are exercising 6 days a week, then your activity level is pretty high. Decrease that amount by how much you are trying to lose a week. 500 calories a day for 1 pound, 1000 calories a day for 2 pounds. So if your TDEE is 3100 then you can eat 2100 calories a day, but remember not to go under your BMR. Hope this helps you :) You might gain a few pounds the first week while your body is adjusting, but then it should start to drop off. It seems to be helping me. Good luck!
  • rdunlap81
    rdunlap81 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    This is my problem as well! I have been at a stall for 2 months now. My weight fluctuates 2 lbs back and forth. I am wanting to see the scale drop! I work out 5-6 days a week. I am frustrated!

Good for you not getting frustrated!
  • Aquaduckie
    Aquaduckie Posts: 115
    Options
    Eat more food. 2000 calories is the average for the average woman, so I'm sure you can eat more than 1200 in nutritious whole foods and lose weight. Go to www.fat2fitradio.com/tools, plug your numbers into BMR/Calorie calculator and pull the appropriate number according to your activity level from the bottom of the page.
    What he said! That's where I got my numbers for increasing my calories.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    I have been on the 1200 cals a day for over 8 months and I exercise and eat back my exercise cals most days.

No matter what people tell you 1200 cals can give you a lot of food.

I don`t miss out on any of my `treats`

Before anyone jumps on my post MFP still gives me 1200 cals a day 5ft 4" 140lbs to maintain.
  • yeti2000
    yeti2000 Posts: 15
    Options
    You should try eating every 2 to 3 hours throughout the day. Pick low calorie foods that will tally up to your daily goal. The key is to eat this way to keep the metabolism going. Make sure you eat back your exercise calories or at least half of them. Drink lots of water. When choosing your snacks make sure the total carbohydrates are low say around 23 or less and make sure sugars does not equal half of the total carbohydrates. Watch the sugars in all foods there is more sugar in everything than you know.
  • tawny2727
    tawny2727 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have changed my calories & carbs for the last week and a half. Within the first 3 days I lost weight FINALLY, I noticed my belly bloating also reduced substantially. I am keeping my carbs low still because that is what works for me (some people are sensitive to carbs) I also up'd my cardio to an hour every day (or I try to)
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    My saving grace was giving myself a range...

ROCK BOTTOM: 1200 Calories Net
    TARGET: MFP lose 1 lb a week until that got to 1200 cal then switch to lose 1/2 lb a week
    TOP of RANGE: Goal Weight Maintenance Calories

As long as I keep in that range I'll continue to lose weight....

SAFETY VALVE: Current Weight Maintenance Calories, as long as I don't go over this I should NOT gain (remember to recalculate this as your weight changes.)

I think it's all about finding a weight you can sustain and live the life you want to live.
  • debrapeterson
    debrapeterson Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Also I would keep an eye on other nutritional items. Keep your diet balanced. Keep going and use all the good ideas on MFP and you will start loosing.
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options

I completely understand but if you keep doing what you are doing, you'll keep getting what you have.

I once heard someone say "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."

Try eating at your BMR. Then anything else is a calorie burn under your TDEE.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Your body needs fuel if you are exercising. I eat 1800 calories and I am still losing. Just gradually increase your calories...but you need to eat more.