For those who lift weights (men and women) ...

Options
How long did it take for you to see/notice results? I don't expect the scale to move too much when I start lifting next week, so I'll be measuring. How often should I measure, and how long before I can expect to see a difference? I know I may have to play around with my calories a little bit, but just want an idea of how long I should stick with a routine (eating and lifting) before I determine if it's working or not.

Thanks in advance :flowerforyou:

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    the less body fat you have the sooner you will see results. if you're at your goal weight then there's no reason to not expect to see improvements after 3-4 weeks of heavy lifting. take photos to chart your progress since it'll be easier to see. photos where your flexing your biceps, upper back and thighs
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    been 3 weeks of lifting 5 days a week for about 2 hours, different body parts every day, have not seen a difference but I am still cutting weight, but I am starting to feal* a gain in strengh
  • Maridelsol82
    Options
    Hmm good question Im interested in this too.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Would love to hear replies too!
  • texastango
    texastango Posts: 309
    Options
    6 Weeks for me

Every other day. 45 min - 1 hour,

Protein intake of 1.8 grams per Kilo or approximately 30 percent of calories alloted for day.

(ie multiply the number of calories you are alloted per day by 30 percent. Then divide that number by 4 (4 calories per gram protein) and that will give you your number that is the most you should take in. Example 1200 cal per day x 30 percent = calories from protein = 360

Divided 360 calories by 4 cals per gram protein = a max of 90 grams protein per day.
    If you take your weight in lbs, divide it by 2.2 that will equal the number of kilos. Multiply your weight in kilos by 1.4 to 1.8 grams per kilo of protein and you have another way of figuring out how much protein is reasonable.

This is just an example.

If you are dieting the key is replacing Fat with lean muscle mass. Remember to track measurements as well as weight.

8443442.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I have been doing New Rules of Lifting for Women for just over a month now. I've noticed my biceps look more toned, while my shoulders don't really.

My thighs are more toned too-- my tightest jeans got a bit tighter! I don't mind. I used to play a lot of soccer, so I figure that's just my old muscles getting ready for another goal.

(I should add that I am not trying to lose weight, in fact I know I'll gain, my goal is to look better and be stronger.)
  • jaredna
    jaredna Posts: 1
    Options
    Physiologically speaking it takes 8-10 weeks for the body’s muscle fibers to enter a hypertrophic state ( getting bigger) therefore I would recommend "not"to expect noticeable differences in your musculature until you reach a minimum of 8 weeks of regular resistance training that has also been followed by a proper diet.
  • Emv79
    Emv79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    the less body fat you have the sooner you will see results. if you're at your goal weight then there's no reason to not expect to see improvements after 3-4 weeks of heavy lifting. take photos to chart your progress since it'll be easier to see. photos where your flexing your biceps, upper back and thighs

This.
    Obviously, the lower your BF% is, the more you'll see results. Note that it's not the fact that you don't build the same muscle mass, it's just that if there is much fat covering it, you won't see it as much or sometimes at all. I started lifting in January (heavy lifting) 3x a week for 30min (I also did cardio 6x a week). I was at 21.6% BF back then. It took a good 3-4 weeks before I started noticing changes when looking in the mirror (my shoulders and biceps at first).
    Since beginning of April, I've started paying attention to everything I eat (hello MFP!) and 3 weeks ago, I made the change from 3x 30min weight training per week to 1x 30min and 2x 1hour per week (with trainer). I'm now 19.2%BF and can see noticeable differences about every 2-3 weeks depending on the area of my body. I still carry the most of my fat in my mid-section, so that's taking longer to see.
  • texastango
    texastango Posts: 309
    Options

the lower your BF% is, the more you'll see results.

AGREE WITH BOTH.
  • kjerstenkipp
    kjerstenkipp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    “It takes 4 weeks for you to notice your body changing, 8 weeks for your friends to notice, and 12 weeks for the rest of the world to notice. "
    http://www.muscleandfitnesshers.com/blogs/felicia-romero/dont-quit
  • perfect10isha
    perfect10isha Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the helpful feedback. According to those online calculators my body fat is around 22% (5'6", 140 lbs) so I'm thinking it will take a good 4 weeks or so to see any change whatsoever. I'll be doing the NROLW program.

So does that mean I should measure every 4 weeks then? And take pictures every 4 weeks as well?
  • Tennybird
    Tennybird Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing NROLFW. I'm 5'2'' and 117 lbs when starting. During the first 4 weeks I only lost 1 lb and 0.25 inches tummy measured at the belly button. However, I could see a nice difference in the arms, back, and legs. Everything looked more toned even though on paper there wasn't much change. It was very frustrating during that time and I almost gave up, but I'm glad I didn't. Good Luck!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the helpful feedback. According to those online calculators my body fat is around 22% (5'6", 140 lbs) so I'm thinking it will take a good 4 weeks or so to see any change whatsoever. I'll be doing the NROLW program.

So does that mean I should measure every 4 weeks then? And take pictures every 4 weeks as well?

I'd measure/take pics more frequently. Try every 2 weeks.
  • Emv79
    Emv79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options

My measurements are taken at my gym once a month, always before any type of workout. I find that this is like he weight on a scale.: You do what works for you...but I would see no point in checking your measurements any more frequently than every 3 weeks.
  • perfect10isha
    perfect10isha Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I love that I can come on MFP and get real feedback :love:

I hope I can "get over" weighing myself... it has become my method for tracking my progress. So going to measuring and taking pictures is going to be quite different. Maybe I'll need to have hubby hide the scale from me because I have a tendency to step on it every couple of days just to "check".
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I noticed within a couple of weeks, others noticed with in a month.

I would say that you should do measurements every month or two and not worry about the scale so much the first month or two of lifting. Most people gain weight from retaining extra water in the beginning, so don't be discouraged if the scale goes up a little. This is why measurements are so important.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    “It takes 4 weeks for you to notice your body changing, 8 weeks for your friends to notice, and 12 weeks for the rest of the world to notice. "

OMG, love that ..... and probably gonna steal it !