How many calories do you think you eat a day?

Options

Replies

• auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    5' 7"
    Maintaining 143 lbs on 1550 calories.
    (secretly wanting to lose another 2 lbs., but I'm hanging on to maintenance by my fingernails.... so no sense losing it if I can't maintain it the only thing that will accomplish is making me feel bad.)
  • camila_scl
    camila_scl Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    1200-1400 normal day. My BMR is 1300, so some days I'm under and other above (aprox)

When I work out I eat 1300-1500, but the days I work out I usually net under 1300. I'm not a fan of eating my calories back, just half or a quarter of them.

I'm on a losing weight diet and I'm 5'2

My TDEE is 1700... So with the 1200, I'm in a 500 deficit.
  • kateflourishes
    kateflourishes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I eat my BMR (1401) and I always eat back my exercise calories to get back to 1401... this is about a 730 cal deficit from my TDEE of 2134. Since I burn on average 400 calories a day through exercise, I guess this means I eat in total about 1800 calories a day.
  • AmadaLynn
    AmadaLynn Posts: 116
    Options
    My goal and net are typically around 1310, I'm an admin so not much physical activity at work, at home I am a mom of 2 so I keep pretty busy. I eat around 1500 calories not including my exercise.

I have lost 7 pounds in 5 weeks.

I am 28, 5'6" and currently 148 pounds.
  • vmessyness
    vmessyness Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i eat 1800-1900 cal/day on days i don't exercise. when i do exercise, i try to eat back at least half of my exercise calories.

i'm 26, female, and 232 lbs. i set my goal on MFP to "lose 1lb/week," which is pretty much exactly the same as my BMR. i try to never eat under my BMR. it works, i've been losing an average of over 2lbs/week! even with my goal set to lose 1lb. i don't do any crazy exercise. only walking/jogging or 30DS.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    My diet before was TERRIBLE, I could eat an entire bag of Doritos.. =( So I'm eating 1100 for now. Trust me! It is a pretty good 1100 =) I'm prepared for the 'plateau' though.. where I'll start eating more.. but for now 2 lbs a week. I take a multivitamin and snack on veggies. I've got tons of frozen veggies in my freezer =)
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I'm 32, female, and am 4'11" and currently weigh 106 lbs. I am eating at 1650 calories to maintain (MFP had me set between 1490-1550, but I upped it because I was still losing and was hungry). I usually burn anywhere between 300-500 calories and eat back most of my exercise calories too.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I'm a gainer, but adding anyway:
    Female, 33, 5'4" currently 103lbs, 2000 to maintain, anything below and I lose, (at 1600 I lost 3 lb in a week) 2250ish to gain 1lb a week. I eat back all my exercise cals (so I eat 2500 4 days a week at least)

I'm a twisted freak of nature and my metabolism is out there (it can be a curse), but I do feel for 1200 eater's, that's seems so small! I applaud those who can stick to that goal!
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I ate exactly 1341 calories today. No guessing for me!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    5'2", 100.5, 19% fat (per scale, could be higher), older. Unable to exercise because of injury, nor can I walk long distances.

I seem to need to aim for about 1150 to stay at this weight. Some days I go over, less occasionally, under. I kept bouncing back to my start weight -- 103.5 to 104 - when I used 1200 as a goal.
  • izzydino
    izzydino Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    1800 days i don't work out, 2000 days i do work out.. I lose about 1.4-2.0 a week

5 foot 5, 231 lbs.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

I'm a twisted freak of nature and my metabolism is out there (it can be a curse), but I do feel for 1200 eater's, that's seems so small! I applaud those who can stick to that goal!

You're very fortunate. But at least you recognize that some people need to maintain that low a level and they're well informed and healthy.
  • nikit32
    nikit32 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    That's a pretty aggressive goal. You don't have a lot of weight to lose. I'd cut back to a pound a week.

i agree, better yet a .5lb / week is much better. im 136lbs at 5'4" and was stuck in a plateau then started gaining weight because I was in such a huge deficit....im talking for like 6 months. i started missing that TOM guy and was depressed. Be careful. Ive been on maintenance and i eat anywhere from 2100- 2600 calories a day. to lose weight i just need to eat around 2000 cals a day.

Im the same stats as you mentioned currently, if I ate 2000 calories a day I would for certain be gaining. I have my activity set at light and eat back my exercise calories. I end up eating around 1500 calories a day. I am also set to lose one pound a week and this has been about how much I have been losing since I started. Its been about 3 months and im down about 15 pounds. This includes many days mixed in with eating some bad meals and 3 weeks where I couldnt exercise because of health issues.
  • HoLLyZ82
    HoLLyZ82 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    That's a pretty aggressive goal. You don't have a lot of weight to lose. I'd cut back to a pound a week.

i agree, better yet a .5lb / week is much better. im 136lbs at 5'4" and was stuck in a plateau then started gaining weight because I was in such a huge deficit....im talking for like 6 months. i started missing that TOM guy and was depressed. Be careful. Ive been on maintenance and i eat anywhere from 2100- 2600 calories a day. to lose weight i just need to eat around 2000 cals a day.

Im the same stats as you mentioned currently, if I ate 2000 calories a day I would for certain be gaining. I have my activity set at light and eat back my exercise calories. I end up eating around 1500 calories a day. I am also set to lose one pound a week and this has been about how much I have been losing since I started. Its been about 3 months and im down about 15 pounds. This includes many days mixed in with eating some bad meals and 3 weeks where I couldnt exercise because of health issues.

sorry. when i first started out i was only netting 1200 cals per day. after a few months I had to start upping my intake. i too am sedentary while at work but i never burn less than 2100 calories a day via my Bodybugg info. Once i break out of this place im usually on the move until i go to bed. the lower your weight gets the harder it is to lose more. everyone is certainly different and we all burn calories at a different rate. i have a lot of lean muscle and tend to burn a higher amount throughout the day now. also, with doing the re-feeds or cheat meals or whatever you want to call them helps with sanity and to keep your metabolism in check. i choose not to really indulge in cheat meals every week and instead just keep things even over the week but higher calorie rather than lower cals and cheat meals. its what works for me but i bet on average we would probably balance out.

if it is working for you then by all means keep up the great work. at some point i do believe a vlc diet wont be good and upping ones intake may be neccessary.. this is my opinion though and coming from my own personal experience with the situation.
  • bopper
    bopper Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8' and and in my 50's and my losing calories are 1290 for 1 lb. a week, my maintaining calories are 1620. I exercise 4-5 times a week and I have a hard time losing any weight. After maintenance I ended up gaining 4 pounds so now I'm back at it at 1290 calories. Keep in mind also your frame size, I am large framed.
  • Tiff216
    Tiff216 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Well I started off trying to eat 1200 that didn't work......
    Now I try to eat around 1500 calories but I usually end up eating around 2000-2300 calories in a day but I end up working the extra that I eat plus a little bit more off. So I am usually under for the day!!
    :love: :drinker: :bigsmile: :laugh:

PS I have lost 13 pounds in the last 3 months.....so I am happy with that!!
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    Last week I netted an average of 3284 per day.

The week before it looks like 2894.

My daily net goal is 2600 that I set manually to kind of maintain. It's hard to figure out maintenance calories.

I usually end up recording 1000 to 4000 calories over my weekly net goal.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,249 Member
    Options
    5'7" and 206 lbs. Losing at 1650+ exercise calories and losing 1-2 pounds per week. I like doing it this way because I know later on I will be able to maintain because I have not done anything extreme.
  • Tlove1111
    Tlove1111 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" 136lbs and I set mine to 1850 calories per day. This is at a 10-15% deficit based on my bmr & tdee and I don't eat back my workout cals, just try to stay at my 1850. Not really wanting to lose much more weight so may up my cals in the next month or so.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    1870 day to lose - very active lifestyle. Just lowered from 1910.