Strength Training = Water Retention??

Options
iKapuniai
iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
So my question is exactly as the subject says: Does strength training cause you to retain water? I can't seem to find any solid article or evidence of it online, but it seems as though I weigh a bit more after I strength train. Because of that, I've thrown away the scale in hopes that I'll see changes in the mirror rather than the scale.

I'm 6'2", 320lbs... lots of weight to lose, so I would expect to lose weight as well, not only inches...

Anyways, anyone know the answer to the question?

Thanks in advance.

Love and Alohas,
Ihilani Kapuniai

Replies

• rcharlee
    rcharlee Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Good question; I've been curious about this too lately. I too seem to weigh more after strength verses cardio. I hope someone has some insight on this!
  • christinekojack
    christinekojack Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I also want to know! :)
  • rfeltner0016
    Options
    I use to work out with a personal trainer and they told me to never weigh yourself after you workout because you will weigh more... I'm not sure the reason why but water retention sounds like its a very good possibility. I just wanted to share that with you so you knew that it is normal to weigh more after you work out
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    I do not beleive it makes you retaine water, which is why some weight lifters take creatine because that helps you retain water.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    o and if you plan to build muscle mass at all water is probably the most important thing to have while lifting
  • wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    What I have heard is it's not water per se, but fluid. When you weight train, you get thousands of microscopic muscle tears (which, when healed, make a stronger muscle). These tears trigger an immune response in the body, like any damage will. The increase in fluid is due to the immune response.

I can't get an accurate weight unless I rest for 2 days. Otherwise, my weight can go up 3 lbs overnight on days I weight train.
  • SWilland
    SWilland Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Yes it will but nothing crazy.

Here is a good article about it

http://www.livestrong.com/article/277259-strength-training-cause-water-retention/
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    What I have heard is it's not water per se, but fluid. When you weight train, you get thousands of microscopic muscle tears (which, when healed, make a stronger muscle). These tears trigger an immune response in the body, like any damage will. The increase in fluid is due to the immune response.

I can't get an accurate weight unless I rest for 2 days. Otherwise, my weight can go up 3 lbs overnight on days I weight train.

^^This. I would add it's not like retaining water from too much sodium in your diet, where you bloat all over. It's localized to the muscles, but it can cause an increase on the scale and it can cause tape measurements to be artificially high. Don't worry, it will go away in a day or two.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
  • diddyh
    diddyh Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I know when I begin strength training, I do retain water. I think the muscles retain it to heal. After a few weeks, it levels off and its not a problem anymore. I actually always gain for the first few weeks when I begin exercising after a long break. After that, the scale begins to drop and I start to lose. I've always done this.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Yes. It is not long-term, but during the recovery process your muscles will retain a significant amount of fluid (hence "getting swole")
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options

Thank you for posting this! I thought it was just me.
    In the winter months, I flip-flop my cardio-to-strength training ratios so that I am lifting more often and heavier. I am eating no more calorie-wise, just a higher proportion of protien than in the warmer months. I am gaining weight like a pregnant woman! (And no, I am not, I checked LOL)
  • AnnaMolly17
    AnnaMolly17 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    bump
  • GnaM34
    GnaM34 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I found this. I have been struggling over the last 3 days trying to figure out why I've gained 2 lbs. I recently started adding strength training into my workouts and couldn't figure out what was going on. Thank you Thank you Thank you :)