Sugar Free Protein Powder

Options
unicornpoop
unicornpoop Posts: 178 Member
Hello everyone,

I'm starting to come around to the idea of making a protein shake every now and then since I am doing a lot of intense work outs and starting to lift more weights. Are there any sugar free protein powders? I really have no clue what I'm looking into and don't know what's out there.

Also, I am a woman, so is it better to eat whey or soy protein? Or some of that hemp or egg protein?

Help me break into the world of giant tubs of powder.

Replies

• unicornpoop
    Options
    Also, are they all flavored? I don't want things to taste like cake or icecream!
  • hardkitty
    hardkitty Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about this too :)
  • unicornpoop
    Options
    bump
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    Yes there are many, but you have to watch what is used to sweeten it instead. If you have no problem with certain artificial sweeteners then it's ok.

Majority of them have very low to no sugar in them anyhow.

The big thing to watch is sodium content as it varies greatly. The ones I use have 30 to 50g per serving but I've seen ones with sodium as his as 500g per serving!!!
  • illuminatusObservor
    Options
    Men and women do not need different protein powders. Whey is usually your best bet :] Most are sugar free or low suagr. I would recommend Optimum Nutrition Breand or Isofuel
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    yes there are sugar free protein powders...i use the Winning Combination, comes in unflavoured too. it is sweetened with stevia so its great
  • ajcamber
    ajcamber Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Bump...
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I use MRM Whey Protein Powder. I like the Vanilla flavor. They also make one that is Whey & Flax and Vanilla Nut flavor. Both are sweetened with stevia and are 100% natural. I buy them from iHerb.com. One scoop is around 90 calories and has only 2-3 grams of sugar.
  • Lillyeatslillies
    Options
    I'll give you two of my protein shake recipes. One with powder, one without:

1 scoop designer whey chocolate (I don't think it has sugar)
    1 cup milk
    1 cup frozen strawberries
    cal-230 pro-26 Fiber- 4
    1/2 cup greek yogurt
    1 banana
    1 tbsp natural PB
    Cal- 400 pro 27 fiber-7

Both taste great! It just depends on what your nutritional needs are
  • captnemo44
    captnemo44 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I like my VPX SRO ZERO CARBS Serious Chocolate , they have other flavors i get it from Netrition.Com
  • vsay215
    vsay215 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I buy vitacost whey iOS, 210 cals for 3 scoops, 50 gram protein, less than 1 g fat, 1 g carb made with sucrolose. I usually make shakes with 1 scoop for 66 cals. I order from vitacost.com.
  • jlm_getfit
    jlm_getfit Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Sean_The_IT_Guy
    Options
    If you go to a bulk food store (We have Bulk Barn here in Canada) you'll find "Whey Protein Isolate". That's all that's in it. Whey protein isolate. No sugar or flavors added. It's just Whey Protein Isolate.

This stuff is neutral in taste and dissolves in most liquids (with enough stirring or shaking). If you mix it with water, you get a finished product that tastes like slightly milky water. If you blend it up with a frozen banana and some water, you get a banana shake with a bunch of protein and some good carbs and vitamins for around the caloric cost of a single banana (70-80kc?)

Stuff in the tubs is usually adulterated with sugars and flavors. Look for bulk Whey Protein Isolate.
  • unicornpoop
    Options
    Thank you! I have some shopping to do!
  • vonnywaft
    vonnywaft Posts: 182
    Options
    I was just about to post a similar question. Don't need to now! I've got some shopping to do too now. i'm thinking of swapping my bacon and eggs for a protein & fruit smoothie and see how that goes.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I use Jillian Michaels whey protein powder. It's sweetened with stevia and mixes up smooth and creamy. It only comes in vanilla and chocolate.