Zuchinni in a pot GARDEN..QUERRY. .

Options
babynew
babynew Posts: 613 Member
..For the past 2 Years! !.. no production past the Flower

2 Years ago I even took pix of BEES ENTERING. ...YET no produce.

Your thoughts, ..

Replies

• tlc12078
    tlc12078 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I had that problem with our pumpkins, it took like 3 years, got the flower but no pumpkin. Finally there was a pumpkin n my kids were so happy.
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Try using a paintbrush, going from flower to flower.....Or maybe the seeds were old....
  • tlc12078
    tlc12078 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I had that problem with our pumpkins, it took like 3 years, got the flower but no pumpkin. Finally there was a pumpkin n my kids were so happy.

O only had 1 pumpkin out of it. I would go to your local farm stores n talk to them about it.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    it is my understanding that zukes need a lot of space for their roots near the surface. Just not a good pot plant. If you put it in the ground, it'll explode though!
    The same is true of pumpkins. So maybe year 3 it'll work in your pot :)
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    i stand corrected.

This website seems good. They said it's really important to pollinate the flowers the first day they bloom:

http://myurbangarden.livejournal.com/1177.html
  • nicca83
    nicca83 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My zuchinni went alright in a pot this past summer. Harvested heaps of veges. Maybe the temperature wasnt good or maybe it didnt get enough water or food. Is it in full sun or is it in a shaded area? My vege garden has been a bit average this year and that was one of the veges that did quite well. Do you have a new plant each year or is it the same one as 2 years ago? I thought they only lasted for one season then a new plant is needed.
  • Doomfrog
    Doomfrog Posts: 79
    Options
    i stand corrected.

This website seems good. They said it's really important to pollinate the flowers the first day they bloom:

http://myurbangarden.livejournal.com/1177.html

No mater what that website says, they do need more space. Try upgrading your pot size. For most potted vegetables, you need a way bigger pot than you think.

But if all else fails, stuffed squash blossoms are delicious.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you are doing different than me, but my husband planted a zuchinni about 3 weeks ago, and it is already flowering a producing fruit. A few are even ready to be picked! A few things that may be the cause:

1. Did you use appropriate soil?
    2. Is the pot big enough?
    3. Does it get enough sun? Without enough sun the plant will continue to grow it will just never fruit.

Message me if you have any questions :) Not sure where you live but we are blessed with lots of sun in southern california, but we are also still in a lease so we only have a little patio, yet still able to grow many different veggies/fruits in pots, even water melon!
  • babynew
    Options
    You guys are Super!
    I've gotten to Flowers ( fortunately I now k now if no ftuit is harvested, ....& Abhor that thought until there IS PRODUCE!
    I Have used fresh soil.
    Even purchased zukes started. They just don't produce,...past flower :sad:
  • babynew
    Options
    Oh my Dear Vegi Gods I guess. .
    THANK YOU MFP. YOU are super! !

Its news to me about F.&M.Flowers. .well Color me ignorant!
    ..(sep note i do have a Humongus Holly )

..it was mentioned that I could self polinate with a Q tip. HOWEVER
    YOUR Info has given me a Renewed Interest

Thanks So Very Much,& Hoping for a Zuke Bounty! !