What am I Drinking?!?!

Options
Just a quick question for every one. A lot of times I like to add things to my water.
A tea bag, or crystal light .. or any thing else added to water. :drinker:

Question is - Can I still count it under my "Today's Water Consumption" on the food log?
Was not sure. Since it is not plain water??

Hope that is not a silly question. Thanks for your help in advance!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Chiny
    Chiny Posts: 321
    Options
    Not a silly question at all...as a matter of fact I don't have the answer because I was thinking the same thing :laugh:

Yesterday I had a vitamin water but didn't think I could log it as water
  • linnebooc
    linnebooc Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I don't normally count it for my regular water intake but that's just me. Not sure if you can count it as water. It is liquid.... I'm stumped lol
  • 2kaizen
    2kaizen Posts: 64
    Options
    Sure! I count all my beverages as water - even the caffeinated and alcoholic ones! I'm sure some would frown at that, but that is what works for me! :drinker:

But seriously, the answer is yes to Vitamin Water, Sports Drinks, Tea & Crystal Light. If you still feel like that is cheating - then count only half of it. You are hydrated by each of these beverages - although Caffeine is a diuretic, meaning you pee out more than you drink in, apparently new research shows that you build up tolerance for this if you drink caffeine regularly - so that has been an overstated claim in the past.

cheers! :flowerforyou:
  • marissa4354
    Options
    Yes you cxan record your crystal light, sports drinks, and other liquids as your water intake, but don't forget about the calories! :happy:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Alcohol and caffeinated drinks don't count as both actually dehydrate your body.
    For every cup of coffee or alcoholic drink you have you should add an additional glass of water. So if you have a coffee in the morning and a beer at night you should aim for 10 glasses of water not 8.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Alcohol and caffeinated drinks don't count as both actually dehydrate your body.
    For every cup of coffee or alcoholic drink you have you should add an additional glass of water. So if you have a coffee in the morning and a beer at night you should aim for 10 glasses of water not 8.

Not true. Both alcohol and caffeine are very mild diuretics. The only thing you might want to do with Alcohol (caffeine is so mild that I wouldn't even worry about it) is if you would have counted it as 1 cup, count it as about 3/4 cups.

the rule of thumb is, if the base is water, you can count it as water. Very few liquids we ingest that are water based can't be counted, and most of the ones that can't (strong diuretics) are purpose taken to relieve symptoms of over-hydration (bloating, many PMS symptoms...etc.).
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options

This is what I have always heard, also...
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    You shouldn't count stuff with sugar or caffeine in it as water, because they dehydrate you (it's like negative water!)

Otherwise, I've heard that the FDA includes these fluids as water.

I'm not sure a tea bag has enough caffeine to be counted as non-water.
  • MakeLifeBright
    Options
    :drinker: Thanks so much for every ones response :bigsmile: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options

This is what I have always heard, also...

I know that a lot of supposedly knowledgeable people are proponents of this factoid, which I believe to be a myth. I'm with SHBoss on this one, because he's absolutely right. Don't want to cause any problems here though - if you don't want to count it as water, that's okay. :-)