Eating back exercise calories? Do I need to do this?

Options

Replies

• JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    The reason so many doctors and nutritionists say not to eat back exercise cals is because they don't know how MyFitnessPal works. MFP already creates a deficit for you through food. If you do not eat your exercise calories back, you are creating an even larger deficit. Unless you are obese and/or closely being monitored by a doctor, you should not be creating a huge deficit, and you could start seeing negative side effects due to malnutrition. Our bodies need a certain amount of calories even to function each day (BMR). The closer you are to your goal weight, the smaller your deficit should be. In short, YES, eat your exercise calories.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    One of my friends told me to forget about all the eating back or not thing, just multiply your weight by 12 to 18 (depending where you are at weight loss process). It will take out all the guess work.

I don't think that gives an accurate amount of calories. I'm assuming that 12 is for weight loss and 18 is for maintenance. If so, it has me eating way too many calories. It's far easier to simply eat the number of calories MFP tells you to eat. There are a lot of reasons this system (MFP) was set up the way it was. The main one is that it helps people lose weight while keeping them healthy.

I'd agree, the 12 to 18 has no basis behind it (unless its directed at one particular person/weight), if I ate 12 times my weight I'd be eating over 2800 calories a day, 18 times my weight would be over 4200 calories. My basal metabolic rate is between 2000 and 2100 calories a day (how many calories I'd burn laying in bed all day doing absolutely nothing)... so 2800 is on the high side (depending on activity level) and 4200 I'd be gaining weight like crazy (unless I was an athlete that my life revolved around working out, but it doesn't... I think MFP does an OK job with setting up goals, the only thing that would help is if it took more information in to consideration (i.e. body fat %, lean muscle weight etc.) but it is just making an assumption based on your weight which isn't the most accurate way, but its good enough...

I need to find out her source too, but I think it makes sense if, only IF you exercise...Say you want to lose weight, so you exercise, then time 12 will give you about the same as eating net + exercise calories...If you are WT, that's different...Going 18 times might be extreme but to some people that might be the right number...
  • connollyda
    connollyda Posts: 23
    Options
    Someone asked this awhile back (it baffles all of us) Here's the reply I wrote that seemed to make sense to them.

Nope! Think of it like money. Say you want to save $3,000 this month. You get $1,300 a day, but for some crazy reason you HAVE to spend $1,200 each day (Say for rent and bills) Now, if you only spend that 1200 a day, you will still save your $3000 by the end of the month. But you also can work for extra money. So one day, you work really hard and made an extra $500! Woohoo! But, you spent a lot of gas getting to work that day and need some more. There are a few things you can do. 1.) Ignore that you used gas, and save all $500. This will lead to an empty tank and you'll run out of fuel. 2.) You can get all the gas you want, and hey, why not get premium and spoil yourself. After all, you earned that extra $500. Might as well spend it all! Of course, nothing really happens this way. You will reach your goal in one month still. 3.) You can spend a little bit to make sure you don't run out of fuel and save the rest. This results in you having enough gas to get through the day, and at the end of the month, you'll have extra money saved!!

Hope that makes sense. I was worried to eat the exercise calories back until one day i was STARVING. I remembered to add my exercise for the day and got an extra 900 calories. I ate until I was no longer hungry, and actually ate 900 calories when I totaled it up. I try to save some if I can, but it's ok to eat them back.

Genius! I love this description!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    So if the deficit is built into your daily goal .... why exercise for say 500 calories only to eat them back? I understand most people here will tell you that you need to eat them but if I'm going to eat them back and net the same as if I hadn't exercised then I see no point in exercising.

Other than the intrinsic value of exercise....I exercise so I can eat more. I don't feel deprived and am less likely to overeat due to deprivation.
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Pants!
  • DaveEC42
    DaveEC42 Posts: 4
    Options
    I use this:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/256518-how-to-calculate-calories-for-weight-maintenance/

Harris-Benedict formulla

This is a very popular formula that Nutritionists use.

I don't necessarily believe what MFP puts in - My wife's recommendation was 1200 calories per day. Her nutritionist told her that 1200 was too low considering she exercises 3 days a week. Too low will slow down and/or stop weight loss and is also bad for your nutrition levels.

According to the formula I linked, my maintenance is around 3200 (I exercises 4-5 times a week) which means I can safely eat 2500 a day and still lose 1.5 pounds a week on average. Over 7 weeks, I've lost 9 pounds - so not quite 1.5, but close enough.

It's not perfect either because on off-days I have to eat less because I'm not burning as much.
  • Asiral
    Asiral Posts: 133
    Options
    What a great question and some helpful answers. I need to look into this and share this with my hubby!
  • jmedavis1
    jmedavis1 Posts: 13
    Options
    I started following Bob Harper on Twitter and asked him this very question today in a live chat. He replied, "If your goal is weight loss, do not eat the calories you burn. You will need that deficit."
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    :ohwell: Here's a horse that has been beat TO DEATH.

Search the forums when you have real general questions like this. There has been LOTS said about it already.

In short: no, you don't HAVE to, it will just add to your defecit which should be aready built in on MFP. But you can if you want, it is a good reward for good behavior.
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I started following Bob Harper on Twitter and asked him this very question today in a live chat. He replied, "If your goal is weight loss, do not eat the calories you burn. You will need that deficit."

Right and MFP ALREADY includes that deficit into your day. You DO NOT need to increase it. Go ahead and starve yourself but when you plateau, remember this thread.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Are you using MFP to calculate your daily calorie allowance? If so, yes you should eat those calories.

Ae you using another system to determine your daily calorie allowance? If so, probably not.

EVERY calculator I've seen to calculate your required calories suggest that you eat more if you exercise more. The difference with MFP is that those extra cals don't get added on until you actually exercise, instead of a generic estimate up front. The end results going to be around the same nmber of calories, it's just a different method of working it out.

But hey, it's your body and your life, if you don't want to eat them, don't.
    Some people do really well not eating them, many others find that it works for a while but isn't sustainable for the long term.
    Lots of good info here: www.shoulieatmyexercisecslories.com

For the record, I DO eat more when I exercise - I don't see the point in depriving my body of nutrition when it is working hard.
  • albayin
    Options

Right and MFP ALREADY includes that deficit into your day. You DO NOT need to increase it. Go ahead and starve yourself but when you plateau, remember this thread.

Calm down. :) I think most of us here might need a trial and error process to figure out what really works and what not...I wish weight loss WERE as simple as saving/spending money...in greater than out, then money in the bank...
  • rubyduby123
    rubyduby123 Posts: 12
    Options
    This is so 100% correct!!!!

if you are following MFP's guidelines you should be eating your exercise calories... Otherwise you are undereating! MFP does not take in to account your exercise goals when calculating your daily calorie goals, I've been adjusting my exercise goals and it has no impact because of your calorie goal being NET calorie goal NOT gross calorie goal! Therefore anyone that is at a plateau should consider trying to eat their exercise calories and see if you aren't plateauing just because your body is in starvation mode and has cut back on burning fat to make up for it. I'm switching modes and see what happens because currently MFP is showing me at a 990 calorie per day defecit to lose 2 lbs a week, when really I've been trying to eat under 1600 calories which means on the days I'm exercising I'm really at about a 1200-1300 calorie defecit, that means I'm only eating about 50% of my calories needed on my exercise days... your body will adjust to the lack of calories and will STOP burning fat and go in to preservation mode because you are starving yourself (EVEN IF YOU DON'T FEEL HUNGRY, YOU STILL AREN'T GIVING YOUR BODY WHAT IT NEEDS!). There are a lot of people who will disagree with me and that's fine, I'm just telling you what I was told a couple years back when I was working with a physical trainer and a dietician... and through following what they said I was able to lose 30lbs over a 3 month period... then I quit keeping track of my food and quit working out and put it all back on. So you can do what you want, just keep in mind that MFP is setting your NET calorie goal, so if you are plateauing or hungry know that you can, and should be eating your exercise calories (look at professional athletes, Michael Phelps when training for the olympics had to eat 8,000+ calories a day because of how many calories he would burn working out... you should be eating whatever you burn to stay healthy as MFP already set your defecit with the goal of 2lbs per week... you can try to lose more than that, but anyone in the health industry will caution you that 2lbs a week is the max recommended for healthy weight loss, and if you're eating too few it will actually cause you not to lose anything....)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily believe what MFP puts in - My wife's recommendation was 1200 calories per day. Her nutritionist told her that 1200 was too low considering she exercises 3 days a week. Too low will slow down and/or stop weight loss and is also bad for your nutrition levels.

I'm sorry, but all this illustrates is that you have missed the point of how MFP works.
    Of course 1200 is too low if you exercise, that's why you add in extra calories when you exercise! Then it wouldn't be too low!

I repeat: if you use MFP to calculate calories, you should eat your exercise cals, they aren't a "bonus" or a "reward", they make up part of the total calories which are recommended for you to lose weight but still stay healthy.

If you use another system to work out your cals, that already estimates your exercise and gives you the total number up front, so you don't eat extra.
  • zenart1
    zenart1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you ALL for the information! I'm exercising intensely right now...burning around 700-800 cals/day (thanks boot camp)....so you can see why this question is important to me. I'm just starting to learn about all this calorie stuff (funny, I always thought I "knew" enough - boy was I wrong). I'm still reading all the replies, but get the general idea. Thanks again.
  • addict3
    addict3 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    So if the deficit is built into your daily goal .... why exercise for say 500 calories only to eat them back? I understand most people here will tell you that you need to eat them but if I'm going to eat them back and net the same as if I hadn't exercised then I see no point in exercising.

Exercise, particularly strength training, helps preserve your muscle mass. If you lose weight by cutting calories alone you will lose muscle in addition to fat, and you will end up with a higher body fat percentage than you probably want.

Ok, I know i'm going to get hammered here and usually stay away from these threads, but what the hell, I can't take it...lol.
    Before I start, I want to say that I believe in exercise and do so myself. Now, with that said, PROTEIN preserves muscle mass and with exercise can build it. No, you do not have to eat back exercise calories if you do not want to. Yes, your body will go into starvation mode if the deficit is too great, BUT, that is temporary. You will start losing again if you remain the same, especially if you remain active. To keep energy and remain active, keep the protein up and eat some at every meal and snack throughout the day. I'm not saying everyone should starve themselves, just stating a fact. A deficit will only cause you to stall for a short while, you have to lose weight, intake vs output. I have been in deficit for a while. The last 36 weeks I have averaged 3.5 lbs per week loss and I have tons of energy and have lost no muscle. In fact, according to my Body Composition Analysis, I have added just a bit. It can be done, just sayin... My meals are closelytracked, measured and spread out throughout the day. My protein, fat and carbs monitored closely with my protein at around 95-100g per day. Ok, that should be enough, here comes the bashing... Oh, I forgot to say, my bloodwork is perfect now as well. I take a daily bariatric vitamin as well.
  • albayin
    Options

Exercise, particularly strength training, helps preserve your muscle mass. If you lose weight by cutting calories alone you will lose muscle in addition to fat, and you will end up with a higher body fat percentage than you probably want.

Ok, I know i'm going to get hammered here and usually stay away from these threads, but what the hell, I can't take it...lol.
    Before I start, I want to say that I believe in exercise and do so myself. Now, with that said, PROTEIN preserves muscle mass and with exercise can build it. No, you do not have to eat back exercise calories if you do not want to. Yes, your body will go into starvation mode if the deficit is too great, BUT, that is temporary. You will start losing again if you remain the same, especially if you remain active. To keep energy and remain active, keep the protein up and eat some at every meal and snack throughout the day. I'm not saying everyone should starve themselves, just stating a fact. A deficit will only cause you to stall for a short while, you have to lose weight, intake vs output. I have been in deficit for a while. The last 36 weeks I have averaged 3.5 lbs per week loss and I have tons of energy and have lost no muscle. In fact, according to my Body Composition Analysis, I have added just a bit. It can be done, just sayin... My meals are closelytracked, measured and spread out throughout the day. My protein, fat and carbs monitored closely with my protein at around 95-100g per day. Ok, that should be enough, here comes the bashing... Oh, I forgot to say, my bloodwork is perfect now as well. I take a daily bariatric vitamin as well.

Congratulations on all that loss and the success...I am not bashing you by any means but just one question:with all this tracking. calculating, watching...do you still enjoy your day-to-day life? Just curious...to me it requires lots of hard work diligence and concentration...
  • rock_kowgurl
    Options
    I've read every single entry in this thread, and my brain is about to explode. =/ I am so confused. I adjusted my settings to be "lose 1 lb/week" with "semi-active lifestyle" working out 7 days/week, 30 min/day - and now it says I'm supposed to eat 2050 calories per day?! I'm so so SO confused. This is up from before I adjusted it, when I was supposed to eat 1760 cals/day.

I understand the concept of MFP having the deficit built-in, the concepts of eating or not eating your exercise calories, but what I cannot understand is why I'm NOT losing weight! I've been at this %&*# for 42 days and I've only lost 6 lbs! I did lose 9, but I gained three back. WTF?!

I just saw that 42 days = 6 weeks = 6lbs. Nice, self, nice.

That being said, 2050 seems like an awful lot of calories to me. It's hard for me to hit 15-1700 GROSS unless I hit up the taco bell or eat a few grilled cheeses. Sure there are some days when I can put down 2000+, but it's only maybe 2-3 times per month.

The exercise is also realistic - if anything I undercut myself - I ride my bike every day, also go to the COSI at least once per week and walk around for 3-5 hours, and do 90% of the house/yard work. Sometimes I just feel really fat and I get on the Wii Fit Plus for 30-45 minutes.

Anyway, I'm starting to feel very very discouraged, as I think I am working very hard and yet I have nothing to show for it. I've seen some people say that they see a difference in their clothing but I, on the other hand, feel that my pants are tighter than ever. I am eating my recommended calories, drinking a gallon of water every day, exercising every day, and... nothin'.

Advice? What to do?!
  • addict3
    addict3 Posts: 48 Member
    Options

Congratulations on all that loss and the success...I am not bashing you by any means but just one question:with all this tracking. calculating, watching...do you still enjoy your day-to-day life? Just curious...to me it requires lots of hard work diligence and concentration...

Yes, it does take lots of hard work and commitment, but that's what I need. I have actually adapted and enjoyed my journey so much that I can't imagine my day without it. It has become part of me, my life. I have gotten so good at logging and tracking that it really takes very little time to do it and I find myself looking up recipes, inventing smoothies and planning my grocery list. It takes much less time than I used spend watching tv and stuffing my face. I am now VERY active and loving life!!!
  • sniperzzzz
    sniperzzzz Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I've read every single entry in this thread, and my brain is about to explode. =/ I am so confused. I adjusted my settings to be "lose 1 lb/week" with "semi-active lifestyle" working out 7 days/week, 30 min/day - and now it says I'm supposed to eat 2050 calories per day?! I'm so so SO confused. This is up from before I adjusted it, when I was supposed to eat 1760 cals/day.

I understand the concept of MFP having the deficit built-in, the concepts of eating or not eating your exercise calories, but what I cannot understand is why I'm NOT losing weight! I've been at this %&*# for 42 days and I've only lost 6 lbs! I did lose 9, but I gained three back. WTF?!

I just saw that 42 days = 6 weeks = 6lbs. Nice, self, nice.
    That being said, 2050 seems like an awful lot of calories to me. It's hard for me to hit 15-1700 GROSS unless I hit up the taco bell or eat a few grilled cheeses. Sure there are some days when I can put down 2000+, but it's only maybe 2-3 times per month.

The exercise is also realistic - if anything I undercut myself - I ride my bike every day, also go to the COSI at least once per week and walk around for 3-5 hours, and do 90% of the house/yard work. Sometimes I just feel really fat and I get on the Wii Fit Plus for 30-45 minutes.

Anyway, I'm starting to feel very very discouraged, as I think I am working very hard and yet I have nothing to show for it. I've seen some people say that they see a difference in their clothing but I, on the other hand, feel that my pants are tighter than ever. I am eating my recommended calories, drinking a gallon of water every day, exercising every day, and... nothin'.

Advice? What to do?!
    Way to much complication on these forums!
    Let me make it really easy for you, forget mfp calculator.
    Multiply your bodyweight by 15
    If your very overweight, multiply your "Goal" Body weight by 15. The resulting figure will be your estimated maintenance
    calories. Now subtract 500 calories from this figure, eat this amount everyday for a 2 weeks.
    If you don't lose any weight drop 200kcals from that figure and try again. Keep doing this until your losing a pound a week,
    Be sensible if your losing too much increase them. its as simple as that.
    Forget the eating back of exercise calories you wont need to worry about that.
    Still use mfp to log your cals food and "drink"!