Tankini or Bikini?

Options
Ive lost 20+ lbs and am much more comfortable in my skin, but I still see myself in the mirror as the 190 lb person. This weekend I broke out of my comfort zone and sported a bikini while I sunbathed in my own backyard. I felt hideous, but my kids and hubby were complimenting me all day on how much "better" I look & they say I should wear the bikini at the beach and on vacations. I have always been uncomfortable wearing a bikini (even when I was 118 lbs! I was so stupid) so it's tough to agree with them. Im SO sick of always covering up and am considering going to the next level and wear the damn bikini on my next vacation to Vegas.
Tankini or bikini?? What would you do? Will I ever be comfortable wearing a bikini?

Replies

• shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I am 120lbs and in pretty good shape. I will never be comfortable in a bikini. I just feel ugly in one. I am planning on buying a new one this year.
    Just go for it! If your husband thinks you look good in it then just try to be comfortable.
  • tori_grr
    tori_grr Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If you feel comfortable with a bikini do it ! But if not go with the tankini, you want to enjoy your vacation not be constantly worried about your body. Or have a cover up with you that you can tie around your waist. Either way you will be beautiful I think you look great in your pic
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Whichever one you are comfortable in. I bet you look awesome in a bikini, but you have to be confident/comfortable in it.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I vote for whichever style will make you feel comfortable and confident. Confidence is sexy! Besides, there are some reallllllly cute tankinis and one-pieces out there. Bikinis aren't the end-all, be-all!
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Bring both and see how you feel when you're there. The first day, maybe, wear the tankini and then take it from there. I bet once you see other people sporting their bikinis (with imperfections as well) you will get motivated to wear yours :)
  • Burlesque12
    Burlesque12 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    All great advice and ideas! Thanks much girls! Maybe these next two weeks of disciplined eating & working out will help build the confidence I need to wear the bikini.
    I will take both on vacation & take it from there :)
  • Burlesque12
    Burlesque12 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Whichever one you are comfortable in. I bet you look awesome in a bikini, but you have to be confident/comfortable in it.

I want your abs!!! Are you kidding me, thats ridiculously awesome!
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Aww, thanks. I never imagined that I will have any definition in my abs. So I am sure you can have it too.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    i am comfortable in a bikini no matter how big i am. And everyone seems to like it...even when I was 174 lbs.
  • aimee18j
    aimee18j Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was just at the beach this past weekend and felt uncomfortable in my bikini-at first-once I got out there and saw all the other people that were sporting them, I felt fine!
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I have known very fat women who are comfortable in bikinis. Mine is not to judge and I applaud their body acceptance.

If you feel uncomfortable, you'll act uncomfortable, so I wouldn't. Why fight it? or start with a 3 piece and see how that goes.. then peel.
  • cougfn69
    cougfn69 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If i can throw my two cents in... i prefer a one piece on a woman more than a bikini. you might think i am weird but i love how they hug the body... :happy:
  • Typhanee83
    Typhanee83 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    It's all dependent on how you feel. If you feel confident and sexy, then you probably are, and from what I see, you could definitely pull it off. Me on the other hand, I have horrible self confidence issues, so tankini and board shorts for me!
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I don't think I'd ever wear a bikini either. They're too unforgiving. I've worn tankinis and swimdresses for the past 12 years and I don't think I'll change that anytime soon.
  • alapoint89
    alapoint89 Posts: 632
    Options
    i really like the one peice
  • jrwatson87
    jrwatson87 Posts: 66
    Options
    If there's people working fatkini's, you can most def rock a bikini!
  • BriskisGrl
    BriskisGrl Posts: 461
    Options
    I just went shopping yesterday for work out clothes and a bathing suit.. I'm tired of always being covered up and want to feel inspired to continue to work out.. so I compromised. I bought a bikini top, but opted to buy swim shorts until I feel comfy enough with my bottom half to go all the way.
  • connollyda
    connollyda Posts: 23
    Options
    Wear whatever you feel comfortable in! My best friend is a rock solid size zero with a 'perfect' body and she wears nothing but one pieces, she just feels better that way. There's no rule that says you HAVE to wear a bikini to look good. Besides, confident and a bit more covered is WAY sexier then Bikini and self conscious!
  • One piece swim suits are no longer ugly, most have a cute low back or cut out on the sides, I find they look sexier than a regular bikini with everything showing at once.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    If there's people working fatkini's, you can most def rock a bikini!

What exactly is a fatkini?