Ok, this question is seriously just for the ladies...

Options
Ok, I am starting to get a little worried. I had the Mirena IUD put in at the beginning of June. A month later, I had it taken out, because I absolutely hated it. Anyways, I had a cycle around the 26th of August, but now- it has been 11 days late already and i have no signs of getting it anytime soon. i have been really tired lately and hungry all the time, and bloated, so I think I might get it, but no. Has anyone else had skipped cycles after getting the Mirena removed? Is it just my body readjusting? I have taken two pregnancy tests, but they both came back negative. I recently had my PAP last month, and it was normal. Just a little worried, because I am getting ready to go through some military training for 10 weeks, and trying to relocate my family to our next command, so this is just adding to my stress, and if I am pregnant (I'l be happy), but it is going to throw a curve ball on everything as far as my military career goes. Just wondering if anyone else has had regularity issues with the Mirena removal? Any info/ advice would be greatly appreciated, and sorry for this long drawn out post.

Replies

• expressbug
    Options
    I don't know anything about the IUD but if you are worried about being pregnant make an appoinment with your dr and get a blood test. Then you will now for sure.
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I don't have an answer for your concerns about the mirena, but wondered what you didn't like about it. I've been considering the copper IUD Paraguard.

I do hope all works out well for you and your training.
  • Bella151
    Bella151 Posts: 123
    Options
    I'm sorry I don't have an answer for your concerns about the mirena, but wondered what you didn't like about it. I've been considering the copper IUD Paraguard.

I think the copper would be better than the Mirena, personally. The reason i hated the Mirena is because of the hormones it it- they were making me a raving B$%#^! My body doesn't do well with hormonal BC. Thank you for your support too:)
  • Bella151
    Options

I think the copper would be better than the Mirena, personally. The reason i hated the Mirena is because of the hormones it it- they were making me a raving B$%#^! My body doesn't do well with hormonal BC. Thank you for your support too:)
  • 135gratitude
    Options
    I agree - go and get the blood test today, and you should have results by tomorrow.

Good luck!
    :flowerforyou:
  • Bella151
    Options
    I agree - go and get the blood test today, and you should have results by tomorrow.

Good luck!

Is the blood test more accurate than the at home pregnancy tests?
  • Bella151
    Options

Good luck!

• Bella151
    Options

Good luck!

• Bella151
    Options
    Sorry didn't mean to post that last one so many times!:blushing:
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Yes. I believe it can actually estimate how far along too. Your hormones are probably being weird, but a lot of women get pregnant when they are transitioning between pills or birthcontrol methods.
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    thanks for your reply on the copper IUD.

Blood test would definitely be the best to find out for sure, much more accurate than at home kits, very little margin of error.
  • 135gratitude
    Options

Good luck!

Oh yes! It will read the exact level of HCG in your blood, so it is 100% accurate (there can be false negatives with a home pregnancy test). The level of HCG itself is not a predictor of how far along you are, however the daily increase of that number can give more information on what is going on. See your doctor if you can, and that way you can rest assured!
  • Bella151
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all your help and advice! :bigsmile: I will set up an appointment with the doctor tomorrow.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about the IUD, but I am quite sure going on and off birth control can really mess up your cycle. Do you have any reason to believe you're pregnant (didn't use anything once you were off the IUD?). If you have no real reason to think you are, aside from being late and the nice amped up paranoia us women feel about it, then I don't think I would waste my time and money to go to the doctor (my copay is 25 bucks, but maybe yours is cheaper). Home tests are fairly accurate and if you already took two I would say you're ok. But if it's still a no show in a couple weeks and you are still worried, then maybe check into it.

FYI, and of course, stress can cause it to go MIA, and it sounds like you have plenty of stress right now.
  • Bella151
    Options
    I don't know much about the IUD, but I am quite sure going on and off birth control can really mess up your cycle. Do you have any reason to believe you're pregnant (didn't use anything once you were off the IUD?). If you have no real reason to think you are, aside from being late and the nice amped up paranoia us women feel about it, then I don't think I would waste my time and money to go to the doctor (my copay is 25 bucks, but maybe yours is cheaper). Home tests are fairly accurate and if you already took two I would say you're ok. But if it's still a no show in a couple weeks and you are still worried, then maybe check into it.

FYI, and of course, stress can cause it to go MIA, and it sounds like you have plenty of stress right now.

Hey thanks for the info, well my hubby and I have not been doing anything to prevent pregnancy- so there could be a potential there, but I have been under large amounts of stress lately, so it could be that oo. Maybe I should just wait it out a couple more weeks, and see if it comes next month.
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I think I can answer both the questions about the messed up cycles and the copper vs Mirena IUD. I have a Mirena now, had the copper IUD before having my son. I know even after having the copper IUD removed, it took 2 or 3 months for me to get a "normal" cycle back again. I would think it would be totally normal to have a month or two of screwy cycles, the progesterone from the Mirena is still in your system . If you are having all the TOM symptoms, you probably aren't pregnant, but a blood test will tell you for sure. I can say after having both types of IUD's, doing it again I would go with the Mirena. Having had maybe 2 or 3 minor periods in the past 2 years is a big bonus for me, and the hormones in the Mirena don't seem to bother me. Good luck and hope that helps!
  • kpnuts23
    kpnuts23 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Bella,

I dont know much about the IUD, however i came off the pill over 4 months ago now, since then i have had 2 periods.. i was over a month late for my last one (which only lasted 3 days anyway) so i shouldnt be worried ( i wasn't having sex) but you might want to get a blood test or take a preggo test if your not sure?

katherine :flowerforyou: