Does this sound accurate?

Options
TamTastic
TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
I have been trying to figure out just how many calories I am burning while doing cardio. I know the machines are not super accurate and I don't have a heart rate monitor yet....anyway, I read something recently that has helped me feel like I am getting a more accurate calorie reading on the machine I use.

I use an elliptical that I enter my weight into. I have been entering a few pounds lower than my current weight and then I usually take off at LEAST 10-15% of what the calorie counter says. For example, today, I entered in 190 (I am 193, so not a HUGE difference, but enough)....and after 60 min (55 workout and 5 min cool down), it said I had burned about 850 calories, so I just brought the calorie count down to 700. I feel that this is a pretty accurate number. What do you all think?

Thanks,
Tami

Replies

• TamTastic
    Options
    I have been trying to figure out just how many calories I am burning while doing cardio. I know the machines are not super accurate and I don't have a heart rate monitor yet....anyway, I read something recently that has helped me feel like I am getting a more accurate calorie reading on the machine I use.

I use an elliptical that I enter my weight into. I have been entering a few pounds lower than my current weight and then I usually take off at LEAST 10-15% of what the calorie counter says. For example, today, I entered in 190 (I am 193, so not a HUGE difference, but enough)....and after 60 min (55 workout and 5 min cool down), it said I had burned about 850 calories, so I just brought the calorie count down to 700. I feel that this is a pretty accurate number. What do you all think?

Thanks,
    Tami
  • Sinnettfamily
    Sinnettfamily Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I think that sounds pretty accurate. It might be a little low, but better low then high.
  • K.Ann
    K.Ann Posts: 37
    Options
    Wow that is a really smart way to try and estimate total calories. I am going to start to do that. It sounds very accurate to me.
  • Bekah
    Bekah Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I do the sam thing but I am a little harded on myself I cut what the machine said in half so lets say it is 600 I put in that I burn 300, and for my weight I do the dam thing. You just have to make sure that you eat at least 1200 cals, so your body wont get to run down and take a day or two off a week. Good luck.
  • TamTastic
    Options
    I never eat all my exercise calories anyway, maybe 300-400 of them...but I just wanted to have a better idea of how many calories I am burning in a week. This may be a tad low..but at least I will have a good idea.