drinks/weight gain

Options
Ok I know that physically its not possible to gain 4 or 5 lbs from one night of having drinks so I am just wanting to know if it is common for some of you that after a night of drinks you weigh a few pounds more the next day and how long that few pounds takes to come off seeing it should just be water weight or something. I was super excited because i lost 4 pounds my very first week and worked hard to do it. Well my grandpas birthday party was saturday and i had about 500 food calories because i knew i was going to have drinks and wanted to figue it in there. Well i got up the next day and weighed and i gained all pounds back! I know that woudl be 14,000 calories and i def did not have 140 beers :p What are your stories?

Replies

• Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    You actually should have been dehydrated and weighed less.

There are several factors in which that could have lead to this, water weight is one if you are with in a few days to a week of your TOM. For me, red meat takes a long time for me to digest so if I eat any, I will weigh more for a week simply because of the amount of fecal matter in my intestines.

Dont stress it and it is a better idea if you are going to drink in the future to go ahead and eat, it is way better, for many many reasons, to eat before drinking. It is a bad idea to starve yourself in order to be able to have several drinks. Bad food choices are just one of the many bad choices we can make when we do that, haha.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Because the alcohol has a dehydrating effect, you may be retaining water. You can reduce this effect by drinking more water! I used to drink water to the point of almost being sick after a night of drinking. But it sure helps reduce all the nasty things alcohol can do to you!

Don't stress it, it will come off in a day or two. Just be sure to drink plenty of water, and it may be gone even faster!
  • jenn5686
    jenn5686 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I always retain water after a big night of drinking. I feel bloated and puffy. It usually goes away with a day or two, it's just temporary :)
  • 2Grtkids
    2Grtkids Posts: 93
    Options
    Always gain for me. ~5 lbs, like clockwork. If I get back on track, it's gone by the end of the week!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    More than once I've broken a plateau after a night on beer and pizza, and it seems to stay off! But other drinks can leave me bloated, I think because some types can irritate the stomach lining.
  • determinedhealthy
    determinedhealthy Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I usually drink a 16oz bottle of water for every drink. It should come off in a few days. And only weighing once a week helps me too!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You actually should have been dehydrated and weighed less.
    (snip)

Sorry, dehydration doesn't always mean you'll weigh less. In fact, most of the time when we're bloated from water weight, it's because the amount of salt/sodium in our system outweighs the amount of water in our system and therefore we are dehydrated. (Ever hear that you shouldn't drink ocean water because the salt will dehydrate you more than the water will hydrate you? Same concept.) This usually makes you weigh more because until the balance is restored by drinking more and avoiding high sodium for a couple of days, our bodies retain what fluid they have to try to maintain the balance.

Drink plenty of water for the next couple of days and try to avoid high sodium foods. Once the balance is close to being restored, you'll know it because you'll be running to the bathroom every couple hours. :)
  • sjeagle30
    sjeagle30 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I feel better. I was so dang mad after working so hard to get that weight off and then one day and its right back. grrrrrrrrr. I am really going to up my water consumption this week!
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem, only it takes me ten or more days to lose the "water weight". Drives me bananas!
  • vidalar
    vidalar Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This happens to me, too. It helps to drink lots of water; but even then the scale will show a 2-5 pound gain. So now, I rarely drink; and when I do, it's vodka/water/lime. Ha! Good luck... I can sense your determination! It's so nice to have this message board feature to interact with people going through the same things.
  • tammyp10
    tammyp10 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I also gain the dreaded 3# after a night of drinking and it takes me a week to get them back off. So what keeps happening is I lose the 3# ...drink...gain them back..then lose same 3# again. How do I get past this cycle of gain...lose...gain?
  • tammyp10
    tammyp10 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping someone can give me some advice....I'll be good and lose 3#. I'll feel great then I'll have wine or a few beers and gain the 3# back. This has happened to me 2 weeks in a row now. Losse 3#..gain them back..lose those 3# again and gain them back....neverending cycle...HELP!!!! Other than the obvious no wine or beer, what can I do????
  • SiempreBella
    SiempreBella Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    YEs, it has happen to me. I totally freaked out. but after I think 3-4 days i was back to normal.
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Because the alcohol has a dehydrating effect, you may be retaining water. You can reduce this effect by drinking more water! I used to drink water to the point of almost being sick after a night of drinking. But it sure helps reduce all the nasty things alcohol can do to you!

Don't stress it, it will come off in a day or two. Just be sure to drink plenty of water, and it may be gone even faster!

this.

also, party food tends to be high in carbs, which also causes water retention. double whammy!
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I think the opposite happens for me! I overindulged at a wedding last weekend...the next morning I weighed less.I figured I was dehydrated from all the alcohol. LOL

It may also be what you drank??

But, regardless, that weight is not a fat gain overnight.... so rest assured, it will go away :)
  • goldencat01
    goldencat01 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    good to know! happened to me this weekend!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Its easy to gain 5 pounds of weight from a night of drinking. But, that doesn't translate to actually gaining 5 pounds of fat. Alcohol causes big fluctuations in water weight that lead to a gain. That being said, drinking on a regular basis can slow weight loss because alcohol acts like a sugar in someways and stimulates insulin production. Insulin is essentially a prison guard keeping fat in fat cells - so abstinence can be helpful when trying to loose fat.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping someone can give me some advice....I'll be good and lose 3#. I'll feel great then I'll have wine or a few beers and gain the 3# back. This has happened to me 2 weeks in a row now. Losse 3#..gain them back..lose those 3# again and gain them back....neverending cycle...HELP!!!! Other than the obvious no wine or beer, what can I do????

Stop consuming alcohol? Or at least don't consume it nearly as often if you don't like this cycle.
  • DANCHAN1
    DANCHAN1 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I cut back on the alcohol for a few weeks. I figure when I get to my goal I can do that. If you have a few on the weekend and you lose during the week then you are maintaining and enjoying yourself. So I tend to drink less often. I also find it certainly reduces my resolve to not overdo it. It is difficult for me not to throw all willpower out the window.