Starting C25K

Options
Seokie
Seokie Posts: 197 Member
Hi :)

So I started the C25K program week one this week. I'm 25 but overweight by about 100 lbs :( So running for me is a BIG challenge, even just running for that minute in week 1 is hard for me.

I've started it before but given up before I really got anywhere. A friend of mine said she'd do it with me because one of my goals for this year is to run a 5K :)

Well...she's completely flaked out and I don't want to give up on myself.

Is anyone out there starting week 1 too? Hopefully someone is starting as well, I could use the motivation and support with it :)

Replies

• jennc37
    jennc37 Posts: 81
    Options
    i just started week 2 today! We can work on it together and motivate each other!
  • FatToFit12
    FatToFit12 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi :)

So I started the C25K program week one this week. I'm 25 but overweight by about 100 lbs :( So running for me is a BIG challenge, even just running for that minute in week 1 is hard for me.

I've started it before but given up before I really got anywhere. A friend of mine said she'd do it with me because one of my goals for this year is to run a 5K :)

Well...she's completely flaked out and I don't want to give up on myself.

Is anyone out there starting week 1 too? Hopefully someone is starting as well, I could use the motivation and support with it :)
    I'm starting week 2 today. I am also 25, and I too had trouble running for even 1minute. In the morning I would walk a mile then run as long as I could. In the evening I would do the c25k workout. I can now run for 5 min straight. Still not a lot but I'm proud. :) I'm planning on doing the same this week but try to increase my walking/running distance in the a.m.

You can add me if u want.....and good luck.
  • t21972
    t21972 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi I did the c25k just after Christmas and still running 5k at least 3 times a week.. I remember week 1 and it was soooo soooo hard. I had a little set back but stuck with it and lost 2 stone in 2 month aswell as diet. I was getting on towards 17 stone and an ex smoker just turned 41 years of age when I ended up in hospital with breathing difficulties. That's what made me deside to get out there and get fit. I now have so much more energy. If I have to go to the local shop or postoffice I now walk and feel better for it So stick with it this time. If I can any one can so best of luck and come back and tell us all when you have reached the 5k.
  • Seokie
    Options
    Thanks guys! I would go hardcore on the elliptical for an hour and be fine but starting this program has me out of breath - kind of discouraging :-/
  • Seokie
    Options
    Anyone else?
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I've completed this program, and I can say enough good things about it. Good luck, and enjoy!
  • yallcallmedeb
    yallcallmedeb Posts: 294
    Options
    I just completed week 1. I'm not feeling at all confident that I will be able to get through my next interval, starting week 2 but I will give it my best shot. Even if I have to repeat weeks, I am still making progress. I just have to remember to keep the jogs to a very slow pace every time that I level up. I am finding that I am increasing my speed with each workout. We can do this! As for the breathing, my husband advised me to try singing as I run, like the military chants because it will help you to breathe correctly. Well, since I am running outside, I am not going to sing but I am lip syncing to my music and it really does help! Try it!
  • stefanieceleste0530
    stefanieceleste0530 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I would go hardcore on the elliptical for an hour and be fine but starting this program has me out of breath - kind of discouraging :-/

I had the same problem - I could do elliptical (yes, hot sweaty and breathing hard) for an hour....but 60 seconds of running nearly killed me!! Since I broke my toe two months ago, the elliptical now kills my foot/leg after about 15 minutes....while walking is much easier (weird, I know).

Maybe I'll try C2K5 again...I got to week 4 before and then quit....I did *participate* in a 5k a year ago (won't say run because I did a run/walk thing to finish it) and i enjoyed it. Ok...I'm in....I'll start again this week! :bigsmile:
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start after I get my running shoes on Wednesday, I hate running and am very slow but ill totally help support and motivate you!
  • momeb1974
    momeb1974 Posts: 4
    Options
    I am on week 2. I did this back in 2009 and ran a 5k in 35 minutes. It can work and week 1 SUCKS!
  • leshana1
    leshana1 Posts: 8
    Options
    Ive started it as well. And I know what you mean about just starting it and already being out of breath. Its challenging but it feels pretty awesome afterwards. I get so much energy from it!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Hey. I'm going to start week 6 tomorrow. I love it so far. I am so surprised by myself and what I can do... I never thought I'd be able to run for 20 minutes straight but I did last week. Felt amazing.
  • AngieBil
    AngieBil Posts: 28
    Options
    Hi There!
    I'm starting weeks 6 tomorrow. I've always wanted to run, but I could barely run 30 seconds without feeling like I wanted to die instead of running another 30 seconds. I'm now up to 9 minutes straight, 1 minute walk and another 9 minute run. I'm SO proud of myself. There is no magic to it, I just told myself that the least I could do was give this a try and give it my 110%. I'm hoping to run my first 5k next month and I'm now really excited about it (as opposed to terrified).
    Good luck!!
  • Ladyvirgosdj
    Ladyvirgosdj Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Today was my first day doing it on a treadmill and I have never jogged before in my life. It was challenging I must say and I jogged on 4.0 but I will get my speed up no doubt.. I'm determined... Good luck add me if u want to.
  • Seokie
    Options
    You guys are so great :)

Question for those of you who are further - do you only do it 3x a week?
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    Options
    When I started week 1 sucked, so don't give up on it! If you feel like you're not ready to move on repeat a week. I did week 1 for 3 weeks. Best of Luck! I hated running before this program and it really changed my views.
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    Options

Yup, but sometimes I would do up to 5x for fun :) or if I felt I needed more "practice"
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I had started this before and ended up giving up due to not being able to get past week one. But then I learned....I can repeat week 1 however many times I need to, to get adjusted. Then When week 1 becomes not so hard move on to week to to challange myself. Keep repeating that. Yes, it may take longer to complete but it's not giving up that matters most of all. I'm walking my first 5K this sat am and plan to start C25K again next monday with the method above. I don't care if it takes me three weeks to conquer week 1 or anohter other "week", so long as I'm still doing it, i'm a winner in my book.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options

I do it whenever I can. If that means doing it 5x I week I do, or if I can only do it once that week I do that. I just do each workout one time each. So my "weeks" aren't really weeks.
  • TamaraHaase
    TamaraHaase Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I just started week 2 today. During week 1, the third day was the hardest for me! I really couldn't believe it, it was a struggle to make it the whole sixty seconds for the last few rounds. Because of that, I was dreading today. To prepare for it, I jogged in place after working out yesterday for ten minutes. I noticed I could do it because I wasn't pushing myself so hard, and yet I was still jogging. So today, my first day of week two, and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be! I made it the entire way and wasn't dying near the end of the ninety seconds like I was last week after just sixty. Also, last week my heart rate monitor would start beeping indicating I was above my upper limit about fifteen seconds before my minute was up. Today it would go off just a couple seconds before I was done with each ninety seconds. My only issue is that today my calves are SORE! After I was done with C25K, I walked for an additional 20 minutes, then I drove for about twenty minutes. When I got out of the van, wow, I was hurting and still am! I know this means I should take tomorrow off, but I feel like I'm addicted.