It's not fair!

Options
It has been a hellaciouly bad week!!!
First, my guy had a bbq with friends for his bday. "Guilted" me into eating his world famous bbq brisket, sour cream mashed potatoes and fried corn....yes I said it....fried corn. For desert, a piece of his birthday cake. All of this I ate KNOWING it was a bad idea but thinking that I could just call it a "free" day and run it off later on that evening.........but the plot thickens......

My treadmill broke. We had to send it off to be fixed and it'll be gone till this next weekend. It's been rainy and I haven't been able to get outside and run.......and now i'm back to 179.:angry:

My guy on the other hand can eat and entire large pizza by hinself and not gain an oz........it's like murphy's friggin law.

So i'm doing a salt water cleanse and fasting tea that my chiropractor (and holistic doctor) suggested to get me back on track.

And my guy and i may have to go into couples therapy because of his chronic enabling disease. LOL

Replies

• rachelmommy1
    Options
    Oh, and i almost forgot the japanese/vietnamse diet he suggested. I'm supposed to go buy some cookbooks of traditional japanese and vietnamese recipes.
  • leighoconnell
    Options
    I totally understand where you are coming from!!! My boyfriend of 3 years can eat anything he wants and hardly gain a pound...where as I balloon out :explode: To top it off we both went on a diet in June and I'm down 23 lbs and he is down 60 lbs and even got himself a nice little 8 pack and arms of steel I tell you. WTF!! :angry: I read somewhere though that it is genetically harder for woman to loose weight because we bear children.
  • outdoormom09
    Options
    What's a salt water cleanse? My chiropractor had me do a colonic.... did it a couple times, not sure if it really helped or not.
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    NO life is NOT fair but YOU make the most of it!! So you had a slip on the weightloss plan ,it is NOT over by a long shot, pull yourself back up, only YOU can do this!!! You do not have to have a treadmill nor do you have to run outside, Plug in an exercise DVD or watch the fitness channel, jump up and down, run some stairs, YOU do what you gotta do!! This is YOUR life, go and live it the way YOU want it!! I know you can do it!!!
  • rachelmommy1
    Options
    oh i know i'm whining.

a salt water cleanse is like a colonic i guess. it's 2tsp of natural rock salt dissolved in 1qt of water. I have to drink it hot (like tea hot) in 45 minutes and then lay on my right side for an hour and then stay close to the bathroom.......on the bright side......i'm at 178? lol

i'm really trying to stick with it now. i want to look amazing at thanksgiving. (The ex's best friend happens to be my cousin who will be in attendance) My mom said she'd tell everyone i'm a vegetarian so no one gets mad that i don't eat their sweet potato cassarole or cheesy onion sausage balls.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    1st things first, cleanses don't help you lose weight, that's neither what they are designed for, nor what they claim to help with. I don't believe in cleanses at all for any reason anyway besides for a specific medical purpose like before a colonoscopy (and yeah, I've done the research), but even most of those who believe in them do agree, you don't cleanse to lose weight. Any weight lost by a cleanse is temporary and mostly fluid weight (it's a myth that you have waist stuck to your colon and intestines).

As far as anyone guilting you into eating, seriously, that's something you need to get over. In order for you, me, or anyone to move forward with changing your lifestyle, the first thing you need to do is learn how to say no to people without feeling bad about it.

Think about it like this:

If your guy asked you to try slicing your arm wide open because he made a one of a kind scalpel that he was planning to sell, and he was proud of it and wanted to show it to you, would you do it?

Admittedly the analogy is extreme, but the concept holds true. You need to allow yourself to do things that you want and need to do, and to NOT do things that you need to not do. Lets face it, we eat bad things because WE want to eat them, not because someone laid a guilt trip on us!

As I see it, either one of two things happened: 1) you never explained to your guy the new lifestyle that you are now following, and that from time to time he's going to suggest you do or eat something that you just have to flat out refuse. If he doesn't like it, too bad, this is for your health and he should support it. OR 2) You did explain it, and he didn't take it to heart, and isn't being supportive. If anything (and I'm not condoning it mind you) if this is the situation, you should be the one giving him a guilt trip for even suggesting that you eat something like that, and not at least making the attempt to make something healthy for you.

Some of this may seem a little harsh rachel, but seriously, it's not meant to be, I'm just trying to tell the truth, I'm hoping that you learn from the mistakes of others (myself), and don't repeat the same things I/we have have. Giving in to these kinds of temptations weakens your resolve just a tiny little bit. BUT, there is hope, on the flip side, every time you DON'T give in, you gain just a tiny bit more strength, eventually, telling someone, "no thank you but I really appreciate you offering" becomes easy, and anyone who can't accept a gracious refusal doesn't deserve an explanation or your time.
    The whole healthy journey is SUCH a mind game, mostly brought on by our own subconscious. If you learn to control your own feelings, eating right and resisting the temptation to give in becomes far easier.

best luck to you!

-Banks
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    Well said Banks! u took the words right out of my mouth. i hate when my bf asks me to go to dinner somewhere unhealthy (he loves chili's) or cooks something unhealthy...BUT when he's on a diet he flat out says NO and it pisses me off sometimes. So now I am the one to say NO THANKS.

Rachel, there's nothing wrong with tryingit as in literally taking one bite so he can feel accomplished that he cooked something. doesn't mean u have to sit down and eat a whole plate of it.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Well said Banks! u took the words right out of my mouth. i hate when my bf asks me to go to dinner somewhere unhealthy (he loves chili's) or cooks something unhealthy...BUT when he's on a diet he flat out says NO and it pisses me off sometimes. So now I am the one to say NO THANKS.

Rachel, there's nothing wrong with tryingit as in literally taking one bite so he can feel accomplished that he cooked something. doesn't mean u have to sit down and eat a whole plate of it.

your last statement is very true, and something I meant to put in mine, but forgot in my lengthy ramblings. :tongue:
  • rachelmommy1
    Options
    i really appreciate the input and advice. really i do, but i think to some extent you missed to tongue-in-cheek nature of my post. No, he didn't hold me down and make me eat anything obviously. I did that myself. And as far as the cleanse, not to get too inappropriate, but my doctor reccomended it because of digestive issues i've been having. not passing anything and being bloated and fatigued. It wasn't just a whim, i assure you. A salt water cleanse is not my idea of fun.

Saying no is something i'm actively working on and i admit i have absolutely no willpower. working on it everyday.

thanks for caring about my physical and emotional health and being so supportive of my overall goals.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    glad to help. and if it helps, i've been turning down little things and u get a sense of accomplishment each time u do it. for example i cooked spaghetti's the other day and it was soo good my room mates all got up for seconds and I just said no thanks i'm full. I felt great that i could say no to seconds c uz I usually have a bad habit of doing it and then feeling stuffed after.

good luck!