Weight Watchers Points Goals vs. Caloric Intake Goals

Options
Hi!

Anyone else here on Weight Watchers find that often even if you haven't gone over your daily points value, you sometimes have gone way over your daily caloric intake goals, or vice versa? I'm trying to eat 1,200 calories a day and my points allowance is 26 per day. Does anyone know if this is basically even, or if I shouldn't worry about caloric intake as long as I'm staying within my WW points?

Also, how do y'all feel about eating at night? Here's my question: I've only been on WW for a week now, but in that week I have been eating less than I'm used to (which is the point, of course). Yesterday I somehow managed (not by trying, strangely enough) to be 6 points under on my daily points allowance at the end of the day, and, not hungry anymore, I went to bed early. However, at 3 am this morning, I woke up, STARVING. Tummy rumbling, light-headed, everything. I remembered that I still had 6 points to spare from the day before, so I made myself a 6 point sandwich (and man, it hit the spot). Anyway, the point of telling all this is to ask: is it ok to eat late at night if you are truly (physically) hungry? I know it seems obvious; if your body is telling you it's hungry, it means it, and you feed it. But I've heard all my life that eating late at night or in the middle of the night is a big no-no. I'm worried that these late night hunger attacks are going to start occurring more often, and wondering what you'd suggest I'd do (especially if I am NOT under on my points - then I'd be in a real pickle, I think).

Looking forward to hearing from anyone - gracias!

Replies

• danir818
    Options
    I'm curious to find out what others think about this too. I've done Weight Watchers (with much success) using the points system. This is the first time I'm following the calorie goals instead and I'm curious to see if the weight comes off as easily. I also often had points left then woke up starving. I couldn't afford to keep up with WW so I'm going this route. I think either way will work. I haven't been on here long but I have noticed a change..I'm sure it's water weight right now but I'll take it!!!!
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I know a friend of mine had a lot of succes with weight watchers, I personally have not tried it. But with MFP you learn to make a life change rather than being limited to certain foods. I've had a lot of success so far with this website and have seen others with greater success on here, I think it's a great way to go!
  • Simplicity
    Simplicity Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Anyone else here on Weight Watchers find that often even if you haven't gone over your daily points value, you sometimes have gone way over your daily caloric intake goals, or vice versa? I'm trying to eat 1,200 calories a day and my points allowance is 26 per day. Does anyone know if this is basically even, or if I shouldn't worry about caloric intake as long as I'm staying within my WW points?

Also, how do y'all feel about eating at night? Here's my question: I've only been on WW for a week now, but in that week I have been eating less than I'm used to (which is the point, of course). Yesterday I somehow managed (not by trying, strangely enough) to be 6 points under on my daily points allowance at the end of the day, and, not hungry anymore, I went to bed early. However, at 3 am this morning, I woke up, STARVING. Tummy rumbling, light-headed, everything. I remembered that I still had 6 points to spare from the day before, so I made myself a 6 point sandwich (and man, it hit the spot). Anyway, the point of telling all this is to ask: is it ok to eat late at night if you are truly (physically) hungry? I know it seems obvious; if your body is telling you it's hungry, it means it, and you feed it. But I've heard all my life that eating late at night or in the middle of the night is a big no-no. I'm worried that these late night hunger attacks are going to start occurring more often, and wondering what you'd suggest I'd do (especially if I am NOT under on my points - then I'd be in a real pickle, I think).

Looking forward to hearing from anyone - gracias!

not definate but sometimes when your body says you are hungry it can mean you are thirsty. i try not to eat close to or during sleep time as the body needs to digest the food which it doesn;t if you are asleep.

The weightwatchers point scheme will probably be higher cals than 1200 but depending on what WW products you eat. there is a way to work it out and i will post it later when i get to my laptop. but it is all based on fibre and fat adn cals, so you can go over your calories but you will probably have eaten alot of fibre and carbs rather than fat and carbs. something like that anyways. i can't think straight
  • marilla
    marilla Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering about the same thing. I have used WW in the past and been successful. This calorie counting is new to me. I am sometimes tracking my WW points in the food comments.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I do WW (well, I follow the plan, but I go to my bathroom to weigh in, not to a meeting :laugh: ) and I find that I can usually stay within my daily points (which are 30) and even have some left over. What works for me, is that I don't eat back my exercise points. I know some people don't agree with that, but all summer I was eating what I exercised, and I stayed the same all summer. I quit eating what I earned exercising, and I started losing again. I I tried only counting calories here, not points, and I stayed the same all summer. So I'm back to what works. And as for eating late at night, I'd try to steer clear of it, but if you gotta eat, make it light!

You'll find what works for you! Good luck!
  • toots99
    Options
    I have been wondering about the same thing. I have used WW in the past and been successful. This calorie counting is new to me. I am sometimes tracking my WW points in the food comments.

That's exactly what I do...I keep a running tally on how many points I used for each meal. And if I have for instance a salad with lots of 0 point things like cucumbers or onions, I add up the nutritional value and that usually adds up to one more point. :tongue:
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    I know a friend of mine had a lot of succes with weight watchers, I personally have not tried it. But with MFP you learn to make a life change rather than being limited to certain foods. I've had a lot of success so far with this website and have seen others with greater success on here, I think it's a great way to go!

Weight watchers does not limit you to certain foods. They try to teach a healthy lifestyle change also.

I worked for WW for years and I have found that the point system leaves you with less calories due to the fact that you should be eating a lot of fiber which in a way cancels out some cals on there point system. If you were to eat only food with no fiber you'd avg. about 50-100 calories per point. The more fiber you have the more calories per point you get.

WW is super easy and they give you the tools to make counting points easy. I lost 50lbs and kept it off until I stopped working for them, moved and had babies. The only reason I choose MFP over WW was because I was "burnt out"....however I can still tell you how many points most foods are but cannot tell you how many calories anything is yet:smile: I'm also having great success with MFP. So if I were to put one vs the other I'd say they are both great in their own ways. Do what works and what you will stick with long term. The meetings and the weigh-ins were key for me with WW.
    Best of Luck!
  • amandadaisylotus
    Options
    Weight watchers seems to me (and I've done it all, online, meetings, etc) like a "nice" way at looking at calorie counting. Kind of like the plus size stores that size things differently. "Oh if you wear a size 18/20 that's a size 1 here!" Instead of just saying 18/20 on the tag. :noway:

Weight watchers IS calorie counting. They just make it points. So it's nicer to think, "Oh this isn't 540 calories.. it's 10 points."

The problem is, their math with points isn't exact. They take into consideration the fat and fiber grams and adjust the points accordingly.

While this can work, it doesn't really teach you to choose properly. It teaches you, "Hey this has more fiber so I'll just ignore the high caloric and fat intake because really it's only a few points."

Personally I think if you need the meetings for support, go for it if you can afford it. If you don't need the meetings, don't waste your money when there is a free site like this one doing the EXACT SAME THING, except more exact because it calls your attention to other factors like fat, carbs, protein. Things we need to be looking at as well as calories to learn to make better choices over all.

The general rule of WW is 50 calories = 1 point. So you're 26 point daily limit is 1300 calories, not 1200.

But, if it is low in fat or high in fiber, the points change, so you can easily go over your calorie limit by even more. Not to mention things like green beans, which are only 15 calories a serving, is "FREE." Those "free" items may not have enough calories to be a "point" by themselves, but add them up and you might just find that you're going over way more than you expected.
  • toots99
    Options
    Not to mention things like green beans, which are only 15 calories a serving, is "FREE." Those "free" items may not have enough calories to be a "point" by themselves, but add them up and you might just find that you're going over way more than you expected.

And that's exactly why I count up all the calories, fat and fiber in those 'free' items and take that point or two into account and add it. Those hidden calories do add up, nothing's free unfortunately! :laugh:
  • Monica13
    Options
    I know that WW wants you to eat all of your points for that day. They say do not go under! Watch your fiber if you are not used to eating alot. I "fiber overloaded" and had the worst stomach pains because the fiber was just sitting around and not moving out of my body. Be sure to drink more than 64 oz of water a day.
  • PeachJuice
    Options
    I think maybe have a supper a little later. Like I used to have supper at around 5pm... while now I finish work at 5 and get home at 6 and by the time the food's ready and I sit down and eat, it's around 6:30. And I find I'm truly not hungry after that. Sometimes though I do get a little hungry but that's when I'll drink some extra water and more and more and my hunger will subside. Most of the time, when you feel hungry... it's water your body really needs. Not food. but if water doesn't work, have an apple or something that your body can digest fast enough so that it's not AS bad if you're going to sleep an hour later.

Works for me but everyone's different :o)
  • quellekel
    Options
    thanks everyone!!!! i am astonished and oh so pleased with how supportive and energized this community is!